Delusional disorder

for concern over cult-related damage, institutional abuse & psychological problems.

ex-l

ex-BK

Delusional disorder

Post15 May 2018

To the Brahma Kumaris, passed down from the inner circle of the Kirpalani Klan to their adherents, Lekhraj Kirpalani was their unqestionable god ... literally ... for the first 20 or more years of their cults history (although they have since "revised" this embarrassing error and invented a new god spirit, taking the Hindu deity Shiva's name and giving it a new twist).

In the past, we've often examined and questioned Lekhraj Kirpalani and his original entourage's original state of mind suggesting that, perhaps, they were all suffering a grand "folie de plusieres" where Lekhraj Kirpalani's delusional beliefs were passed from himself, as the dominating individuals to the not just submissive but utterly dependent women and female children of the Om Mandli. For them, he was their god Krishna, Brahma and Vishnu. (He only become their Shiva too around 1956).
In induced delusional disorder the symptoms are usually paranoid or grandiose and arise within the confines of a close relationship in two (or more) people who are otherwise socially isolated

Delusional disorder is a rare condition, a mental illness in which the patient presents delusions, but without prominent hallucinations, thought disorder, mood disorder.

Although delusions also occur as symptoms of many other mental disorders, especially the other psychotic disorders, in Delusional disorder, the delusions can be "bizarre" or "non-bizarre" in content, non-bizarre delusions could include fixed false beliefs that involve situations that could potentially occur in real life. Individuals with delusional disorder may continue to socialize and function in a normal manner and their behavior does not necessarily generally seem odd, however, the preoccupation with delusional ideas can be disruptive to their overall lives.

The delusions cannot be due to the effects of a drug, medication, or general medical condition and a person with delusional disorder may be high functioning in the rest of their daily life. Recent and comprehensive metaanalyses of scientific studies point to an association between a deterioration in aspects of IQ in psychotic patients, in particular perceptual reasoning. Patients with delusional disorder can remain otherwise coherent, sensible and reasonable.

People with this condition will rarely admit that their beliefs are delusions or are problematic, and will therefore rarely seek out treatment.

The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) defines six subtypes of the disorder characterized as
    erotomanic (believes that someone is in love with them),
    grandiose (believes that they are the greatest, strongest, fastest, richest, or most intelligent person ever),
    jealous (believes that the love partner is cheating on them),
    persecutory (delusions that the person or someone to whom the person is close is being malevolently treated in some way),
    somatic (believes that they have a disease or medical condition), and
    mixed, i.e., having features of more than one subtype.
It typically comes on later in life and – unlike many other psychiatric conditions – the sufferer experiences delusions, but in many other ways behaves entirely normally.

An example of a minor case, and how it effected children subjected to it, is here; My childhood on the run – and the bizarre truth behind it.

It is discussed futher, here (with links), here (Webmd) and here.

Mental illness is not only a huge taboo in Indian society, let along likely to be grossly misunderstood in the 1930s and 40s but, arguably, is commonly accept as some kind of divinity.

If it turns out that he was absolutely wrong in his predictions ... and the facts are that he was and his errors have been covered up, revised, re-written and whitewashed many times - even by professionals and academics within the cult to this day ... was Lekhraj Kirpalani just suffering from some kind of complex mental illness while being rich enough to indulge in his wildest fantasies, and the community that gathered around him and his wealth shaped by it?

Shaped by it to the degree they were able to turn it into money earner ... literally inducing mental illness in individuals and then exploiting them by claiming to offer the cure for it.

Does the BK leaders "Do more Yoga" maxim (meaning their meditation practise) really not just mean, "make yourself more sick" (so we can exploit it)?

Are the subtle coercions and psychic beatings the BK leadership dole out in order to get young individuals to conform to their world view and act according to their preferences and enslave them, not just getting them to conform, unquestionly, to their own shared delusion?

Mr Green

ex-BK

Re: Delusional disorder

Post15 May 2018

The fear of losing your status and Dharamraj were useful tools.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post18 May 2018

I guess the BK response to this would be,
"How could something so big, so international, so wealthy, so famous (it's not really) and with so much property, be based on someone's delusion, or started by a delusional person?"

and to consider the proposal as merely a simple insult. It's not.

Believing yourself to be God, surrounding yourself with a circle of dependent, unquestioning women who support that belief waiting for the world to end so you can become Krishna and the Gopis, has got to be delusional. There was no master plan, no vision for what the cult could become. That all just came accidentally as new people joined with the skills they brought and the BKs adapted to survive. To feed, clothe and house themselves.

Then they got good at it.

Paradoxically, for the BKs, the worldly or materialistic scale of BKism as proof of its "spirituality", is in itself a kind of schizophrenia, eg ... "We're spiritual because we're so successful materialistically". Their 'spiritual status' being based on the acquisition of 'worldly status', having their pictures taken with "famous people" they think are impure etc.

It's like Christians claiming to be Christ-like because they worship Mammon.

But, no, their worldly success, their acquisition of wealth and property (I doubt their "social status" is actually that high and suspect they have few real friends amongst the "IPs" and "VIPs" they court) are not mutually incompatible with the scale of the delusions they and their founder indulge in.

Firstly, the BK following has been entirely misled and brainwashed into a false understanding of the Lekhraj Kirpalani and his life. Their self-indentity is based on extensive lies and misreporting. Not "misunderstandings", not naive "misinterpretations", but deliberate and willful lies, exaggerations and manipulations by a tightly and secretly coordinated inner circle ... who I have called the "Kirpalani Klan", short for the Kirpalani Klan Kult (KKK).

A sort of malevolent secret society, within the greater body of BKism, that have pursued such an agenda as it served and serves their purpose ... primarily to support themselves financially and domestically once Lekhraj Kirpalani money ran out.

Secondly, no one can deny Lekhraj Kirpalani, and others within the cult, had money making savvy. Perhaps not even that it was "within the genes", or memes, of the original Bhaibund Sindhis at the core of the BKs ... as was running tricky, international trading businesses.

All they did was apply it to religion and mining others religosity.

As the diagnosis of delusional disorder states -- as with, say, psychopaths -- individuals suffering from it remain highly functional at whatever they did the best. Being highly functional and delusional are not mutually exclusive.

The high functionality was and is put to serve the delusion ... and this is the model that we were all subjected to. We were deluded by them - and I mean it in that way (initiated into their highly charged delusion) - any skills we had at the point we were encluted were put to the service of the cult or, ultimately, the KKK.
Mammon

wealth regarded as an evil influence or false object of worship and devotion.

GuptaRati 6666

Post20 May 2018

The BKs are part of the secret society culture.

Psychopaths and sociopaths have been demonstrated to be some of the best members of the ruling class; eg many presidents of the United States and rulers of other countries.

Pink Panther

Post20 May 2018

ex-l wrote:for the BKs, the worldly or materialistic scale of BKism as proof of its "spirituality", is in itself a kind of schizophrenia, eg ... "We're spiritual because we're so successful materialistically".

This is also true of many sub-cults of other major religions. Christianity has churches that preach the Prosperity Gospel, ie a kind of trickle-down blessings system where you work to become prosperous and donate to the church who will do the work of God ...

Zen Buddhism has a sect called Nichiren Buddhism whose modern form emphasises material gain/comfort as a measure of attainment - not too dissimilar to the ideas of ”The Secret”, i.e. believe it and it will be, or get yourself out of the way with mantra and all boons, including material ones, will come to you.

Hmmm ... Maybe I’ve been following the wrong paths!

ex-l

ex-BK

Post20 May 2018

Of course, one of the big differences between the Brahma Kumaris and the Nichiren Shoshu and Prosperity Churches, is that the BKs don't preach prosperity for the following. It's only their own institutional prosperity they are concerned about and they prefer already enricheded donors.

I don't know how things changed for the Western Elite BKs who were allowed to get into the Corporate Consulating game, ie Briand Bacon's Self Management Leadership stuff, but in our day - and I suspect for the majority of Indian BKs until this day - we were encouraged to take a lowly job, to leave us free to work for them for nothing and to meditation, not chase advancement in life - that was portrayed as futile as the world was going to end in "two to three years".

For me, I can definitely remember being swept up into the slightly hyper- or grandiose delusion for the first 6 months or year at least that, again, I think does have some similarity to those churches, eg the false belief in one's own importance and the power of one's thoughts or "blessings". How willing things would make things happen. Even one's mere presence amounts other parties. And running around like a dickhe4d on all important "Godly Missions".

Perhaps we need to look again at what the psychic mechanics of "Honeymoon Period" actually is?

For a fact, I remember one BK explaining to me how even our dirty bathwater was flowing out into the world "purifying" it due to the power of our vibrations!

Return to Abuse & Recovery