From atheist to BK to ex-BK to atheist

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

khormozian

BK

From atheist to BK to ex-BK to atheist

Post24 Dec 2007

Hi everyone
I just want to thank all of you for your insights, both here and on the xbkchat. They came at a time when there was no one else who could understand what I was going through.

When I originally registered, my wife and I were still very much extremely devoted BKs. At the time, we tried to use the negative things we read about here to drive positive change at our local "centre". Eventually, our increasing knowledge and disagreements over handling of finances and abuses of power drove a wedge between us and the centre-in-charge and we left.

I can go into more detail at some other time if it's of interest but one day, in a post (or a link from one), I was led to a site on critical thinking. Through some intense soul-searching, it wasn't long before the scales fell from my eyes completely. It's been almost 2 years now but I can honestly say that I have never been happier and lighter. I can pick out the few things I learned during my time as a BK which I think truly sharpened my ethical senses and leave the rest of the baggage behind.

Having you available to share my experience (and guilt, especially at the beginning) at all hours of the day and night, from all walks of life means more to me than I can ever communicate so thanks again. I wish you all the best in your lives.

Regards, Kurosh

ex-l

ex-BK

Post24 Dec 2007

Welcome back Kurosh. Of course, we are interested to hear.

arjun

PBK

Post24 Dec 2007

Dear Kurosh,

Omshanti and welcome back. We are very much interested to know about your experience with the BKs, i.e. how you tried to bring about a reform in your local center and their reactions to it.

We would also like to know about the site that brought about happiness and lightness in your life.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

primal.logic

ex-BK

Post28 Dec 2007

Greetings! I can relate to your discovery of 'critical thinking'. I discovered the topic after I left the BKs and went to university. It became clear that the only reason the BKs are able to indoctrinate and incult its members is because people simply don't know how to properly analyse information. This is in tandem with the human tendency to be reductionist - that is, to reduce all the facts to fit a simple theory.

The BK theory of life is so simple it is difficult to find contradictions within its own framework ie: if you are only looking at it from the inside you won't find a contradiction that is more convincing than the denial that you are capable of as a result of your faith.

Take for example The Knowledge of the soul - mind, intellect, sanskars, vices and virtues. That is the sum of it. That same generic knowledge is then universally applied to every single person without a variation - this is the ultimate in 'one size fits all' wisdom! It is so simplistic, so generic and so available to reductionism the only wonder is we did not see it for what it is - childish.

That is what it is - knowledge for children. An informed mind with skills in critical analysis would just not fall for it.

bansy

Post28 Dec 2007

Hello Kurosh,

Nice to hear from you. Glad you are taking charge of yourself. Wishing you a lot of love and happiness wherever and whatever you do.

Bansy

Return to Commonroom