Self-realization & God-realization

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

new knowledge

ex-Vishnu Party

Self-realization & God-realization

Post24 Mar 2008

I am always confused about 'self-realization' & 'God-realization'. What's difference between them?

* What is the final aim of all our spiritual practices & Yoga-meditation? Self -realization or God-realization?
    * Should we have to achieve self-realization by practising first God-realization? Or should God-realization be achieved by first practising self-realization?

john morgan

ex-BK

Re: Self-realization & God-realization

Post28 Mar 2008

Hello New Knowledge,

Your post has been around for a few days, I have been looking forward to the replies because the question you have aked is very interesting. Perhaps these few thoughts will stimulate those better able to go deeply and accurately into a topic that I am not qualified to deal with.

The first thing that comes to mind is that the term God Realisation is used in many different places. One may hear a person say "I am God" from a Brahmin perspective this lack of a relationship with God is a huge loss. For example does God have a sense of humour? Is he the funniest person ever? I think so, at various times I have been the lucky recipient of so much laughter that tears have flowed uncontrollably. Were I to go into the details everyone would probably think me even more completely crazy than they do at present and this might hurt my ego, so please be kind and be content with the following . I have heard that Shiva Baba on occassion used to tickle Brahma Baba during morning class so much that he would have to make considerable effort to stay upright. I don't know if you have been tickled from the inside but there is no escaping, not that one wishes to of course!

So let's create a definition of self realisation. When all the conflicting aspects of the many personalities of the individual are harmonised into an integrated whole energy is stored. The individual then becomes aware that he is a creative being, he uses thought as a tool of creation and directs his life energy in concert with the thought forms that he deems most appropriate. His senses are controlled and clean, he feels brand new.

The intermediate stage maybe called the angelic stage, there are many different degrees, now the soul is learning to direct life energy in the most constructive ways. through discipline, the practice of virtue and inculcation of knowledge, happiness grows way way beyond that considered possible in the human world. Now the experience is of immortality and holiness, the truth that was previously mere theory is being realised. In addition to speaking and doing in the human world currents of relevatory thought energy radiate into the world serving both nature and the immortal beings who have forgotten their true identity and fallen victim to the dastardly mesmerism of matter.

God Realisation. Its often no easy matter for us to truly understand each other when using simple words that we all understand. It is far more of a challenge to communicate accurately that which we have little or no experience. Many traditions, systems, individuals, etc etc use the term God Realisation. It is not a Brahmin term though the Brahmin "Equal to Baba" phrase may have some similarities. Let us continue.

As angels near perfection they become living deities. There are deities and deities. It may be said that deities are "God Conscious"

Attributes of God Consciousness

Extraordinary powers of Action
    Incredible Spiritual Strengths (Siddhi's)
    Egolessness
    Master of the five Elements
    Inspirer of mankind
    Server of mankind, embodiment of all virtues, especially mercy.
    God Consciousness is the cleanest possible experience
    Master of Concentration Meditation and Contemplation simultaneously
    Invisible to those in body consciousness.
If people knew what God Consciousness is they would exchange one minute of it for many human lifetimes.

All this is, of course, nonsense to some though others think, "what else could possibly be worth doing?" Such is the lottery of life.

The attribute that I especially like is the invisible one, it explains so much un-understanding!

There are deities and there are deities but there can be only one Supreme Soul!

Thanks New Knowledge.

cal

PBK

Post31 Mar 2008

new knowledge wrote:* What is the final aim of all our spiritual practices & Yoga-meditation? Self -realization or God-realization?
* Should we have to achieve self-realization by practising first God-realization? Or should God-realization be achieved by first practising self-realization?

Interesting question. There is one more possibility, they could go hand-in-hand (this is, of course, just a guess), i.e. realization of one could lead to the realization of the other.
OM SHANTI-Cal

paulkershaw

ex-BK

Post31 Mar 2008

I reckon too is the same thing, Self and God-realization is the same journey. Aum. I am God. Unless you're a BK - then all you want to be is part of a rosary of 108 surrounding Mother/Father.
Ask Shankar too. He'll agree for sure as he's already God, top knot and all.

new knowledge

ex-Vishnu Party

Post31 Mar 2008

O God! Through Google search I've searched 2 websites just by chance;

Return to Commonroom