What is so wonderful about the Murli?

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

Terry

ex-BK

Re: What is so wonderful about the Murli?

Post05 Feb 2009

You can stop digging now.

paulkershaw

ex-BK

Post05 Feb 2009

Will this help? This is my kinda Murli ... makes me feel wonderful'. Lyrics of "Peter, Paul and Mary" singing I DIG ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC.
I dig Rock and Roll music
And I love to get the chance to play (and sing it)
I figure it's about the happiest sound goin' down today.
The message may not move me,
Or mean a great deal to me,
But hey! it feels so groovy to say:
I dig the Mamas and the Papas at The Trip,
Sunset Strip in L.A.
And they got a good thing goin'
When the words don't get in the way.
And when they're really wailing,
Michelle and Cass are sailin'.
Hey! they really nail me to the wall.
I dig Donovan in a dream-like, tripped out way
His crystal images tell you 'bout a brighter day
And when the Beatles tell you
They've got a word love to sell you
They mean exactly what they say
I dig Rock and Roll music
I could really get it on in that scene.
I think I could say somethin' if you know what I mean
But if I really say it, the radio won't play it
Unless I lay it between the lines

Terry

ex-BK

Post06 Feb 2009

paulkershaw wrote:"Peter, Paul and Mary" singing I DIG ROCK AND ROLL MUSIC.

Hey, now we're swingin'!!

I can dig that. No matter what the style, if it gets you groovin', keeps you movin', it's got SO-UL!!

A quote (paraphrased) from one of my favourites, Robbie Robertson
Robbie Robertson wrote:Good music is dangerous. It'll change you. You'll be different after hearing it, it's dangerous to what you were before.

It can be applied to all arts.

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post08 Feb 2009

Don't think it is dangerous.

bkti-pit

Independent, free thinking BK

Post08 Feb 2009

Mr Green wrote:The Murlis are a joke at best, they are full of contradictions and innaccuracies, and lies, and predjudice and hatred.

I must agree with you to the extent that I find a lot of contradictions and inaccuracies and prejudice in the Murlis that most believers try to justify one way or the other. I must also acknowledge that I often find them boring and sometimes have to work hard to get any inspiration out of it.

Terry

ex-BK

Post09 Feb 2009

Mr Green wrote:Don't think it is dangerous.

If it did not affect you, change you in some way, then it ain't "good" by JRR's definition.

paulkershaw

ex-BK

Post09 Feb 2009

swingin'!!

This is something different eh? ... and certainly not for me (unless, of course ... ;)). Really truly I'd like to ask, "What is so wonderful about the Murli" ??? - although it's probably more interesting reading than then morning papers, not so much violence in it.

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post09 Feb 2009

I am a musician, have been since the age of 11, so I am wary of the pretencious ramblings of other musicians.

bansy

Post11 Feb 2009

I think the Murlis are wonderful.

They're just another set of scripture, so take the bits you want.

When you had enough of the same food you want something else, but you did find the food (Murli) quite tasty at first so something else has put you off it, but it does not mean you did not like the taste of it in the first place. The food has remained, albeit a bit doctored here and there, so basically only you have changed.

john morgan

ex-BK

Post11 Feb 2009

I guess we are all quite smart. We know how to read a page and process it. Some prefer pictures. We talk about what is going on in the world and we make things happen. Poetry good music and great ideas are somewhat different. They affect us internally. The Murli is similar. Some swear by Mozarts Magic Flute and for others the magic flute called Murli is the most magical of all.

Somehow the yogi Sisters improved their lives, study of the Murli was the method. To feel new strength growing within one is useful. We all have a treasure hidden within us. The Murli can reveal it. Effort is necessary, but it must be the right kind of effort. Surprised that some seem to have completely forgotten or perhaps they never realised that the gems they studied are treasures from the mind of God. Study of the Murli is the highest of studies, don't trust your own partial understanding there is more ... much more to you!

Terry

ex-BK

Post12 Feb 2009

john morgan wrote: Surprised that some seem to have completely forgotten or perhaps they never realised that the gems they studied are treasures from the mind of God. Study of the Murli is the highest of studies, don't trust your own partial understanding there is more ... much more to you!

I would dispute that it is the "Mind of God" in any objective sense.

You might say it is the mind of Lekhraj's inner god. He worked and studied all his life, and both consciously and unconsciously processed those thoughts, feelings and experiences that he was immersed in. He gained an insight which explained himself and his world to himself. It made sense to some other people too, including most of us, for a period of time. Wisdom is wisdom whether from a Hopi Indian or a Sindhi Indian, What each of us has to do, to honour our own "inner god," is be completely honest about whether the wisdom is (still) appropriate for our needs.

Where the one imparting wisdom is placing conditions on it, like "if you don't accept it holus-bolus (all together, unmodified), you are inferior" then one must question the motive, the actual depth of the wisdom and it's source.

If it presents itself as an objective truth, which the Murli does - then it must stand up to the rigours of objective empirical evidence, i.e. scientific method.

If it is a subjective truth, then it should allow, within its wisdom teaching, for each to determine its appropriateness to them.

The Murli fails on both counts.

jann

friends or family of a BK

Post12 Feb 2009

This is God????

Sakar Murli 2009/02/07 Revised

Do not attach your heart to perishable bodies. Become a conqueror of attachment. Promise that, no matter who leaves the body, you will not cry.

john morgan

ex-BK

Post12 Feb 2009

Yes Terry,

You are smart! - and missing something!

Kindest regards,

John

Terry

ex-BK

Post12 Feb 2009

john morgan wrote:Yes Terry, You are smart! - and missing something!

Pray tell.

bansy

Post12 Feb 2009

Things are always missing as no two souls are alike. So a Murli will always be seen different by any two souls.

The same question can be said about "what is so wonderful about the Bible/Koran/Granth/Relativity/Slumdog Millionaire etc etc. When things are missing, what do you do ? You find something else to fill it.

So in all practises, you are asked to follow Jesus, follow Mohammed, follow Brahma Baba, gurus, etc. Because of the gap between the souls. Follow your nose. Set your own yardstick. The Murlis is one yardstick. Whose yardstick do you use ?

Maybe the question to also discuss is "who is the Murli for" and therefore does it meet the needs for those who vow by it.
PreviousNext

Return to Commonroom