Enjoy sport

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

alladin

no label

peep show

Post08 Aug 2008

when we got far enough I could not resist stripping and jumping in the water. I knew enough to stay at a distance from Sisters.

Sisters know such things happen and this is why, not wanting to be caught unprepared and miss the show, they carry in their holy-looking canvas bags with the ShivBaba symbol printed on one side, Krishna on the other, along with a Murli batch and the note book a good pair of ... binoculars! ;).

I hope you guys do the same!

bansy

Re: Enjoy sport

Post11 Aug 2008

In the Olympics 2008, a country with the population size of China fielded over 600 athletes. USA, Australia and Germany with significant population reduction fielded also large squads. Most countries such as UK, Spain, Italy France, South Korea etc usually field a moderate size team of several hundred athletes. India, with its huge population, fielded a number equal to several Micronesian islands combined, because usually most of their team has previously been made up of hockey players which did not qualify.

The theme of this years Olympics, which is watched by over 3 billion worldwide, is "One World, One Dream". But who is participating? As in the Confluence, so as in the Golden Age.

arjun

PBK

Post11 Aug 2008

Sister bansy wrote:India with its huge population fielded a number equal to several Micronesian islands combined, because usually most of their team has previously been made up of hockey players which did not qualify.

Omshanti. I watched the opening ceremony of the Olympics for a few moments and was surprised to see a small contingent unlike the previous games where the contingent used to be very large (including sports officials) but they used to return mostly empty handed.

In all the previous editions of these games, India has managed golds only in Hockey and just one bronze and one silver in individual events. But today I was surprised to hear the news of an Indian (Abhinav Bindra) winning a gold medal in an individual event (shooting) in the Olympics history for the first time. So, ultimately one person out of a nation of over 100 crores has been able to win an individual medal. He deserves congratulations. :D

Bindra wins first ever Olympic gold

So, after all the size of the contingent does not matter. It is the quality. Just as we keep telling on this forum that the size of the post does not matter. Its quality does. :D
Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

bansy

Post11 Aug 2008

It is good that any individual achieves as much as possible, the Olympics is a good measure of dedication and effort and, of course, there is the bad side of doping.

The theme of dreams is also in today's Murli 11 August 2008. I don"t have my notes with me to be able to quote them here. It says something on the lines of "we live in a world of dreams and the past is a dream". Thus for sports players to achieve ultimate success in their sphere of sport is a dream, and such people should become role models for not just their country but also the world. However, few such sports people often become limited and trapped in their success. Gone are the days when sports was just a game and a pastime, but now it is full of sponsors deals transfer markets.

Interestingly, I have become more inspired by sports whilst on this forum. Some time back was talk about the World Cup, then recently there have been many events like Euro 2008, tennis and golf. Whilst some of these sports are too physically demanding, to actually try them and enjoy the "spirit" of winning AND losing actually refreshens both the mind and body. If more people do sports and excercises, then less people will be sitting around thinking bad thoughts! Even Yuddistra lost in his "chess" game, where he even lost his Brothers let alone his wife, because it no longer became a game to him but a gamble. It was a lesson that has taught to him and so is taught to many of us.

I do hope many people here on this forum all stay healthy in mind and body, feel free to let physical and spiritual energies run free and balanced.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post11 Aug 2008

bansy wrote:It is good that any individual achieves as much as possible, the Olympics is a good measure of dedication and effort and, of course, there is the bad side of doping.

Mind you, perhaps they should start an olympic event for doping? It would entirely change the games.

Jamaica would gain its first Gold medal followed by a Silver for Colombia, the USA would still be in top three and India might just be in with a chance if it can sign up some of the Naga sanyasis ... but no one would reach the finishing line unless had been cut on a mirror with a razor blade.

Very, very unhealthy stuff kids. Stick to kicking a ball around, paddling in pools or walking up mountains.

bkti-pit

Independent, free thinking BK

Post11 Aug 2008

Just to let you know that the hike was great.

We walked 12 miles, climbed 4,100 feet to the top of the highest mountain in the area. The weather was cool, nice and sunny. There was a fire tower on the mountain top and from the top of the tower we had a superb view 360 degrees around. And we met wonderful people on the trail.

john morgan

ex-BK

Post25 Feb 2009

Sport is a good thing for meditators to do. At different times I have played squash, table tennis and badminton. I feel at home on skis and ice skates and enjoy chess. Many chessplayers regard chess as a sport, something that requires a lot of endurance and stamina. Some chessplayers mention the benefits that long periods of concentration can bring. Peoples notion of chessplayers is dowdy and dull but in the best circles the atmosphere is vibrant and alive. After I left Gyan I played a lot of squash. To play against a snap of a girl and get thrashed took some swallowing at times, especially in the light of my BK experiences. ;) Nowadays its chess and ping pong and for tomorrow, a tai chi taster. Walking and camping are planned for the summer and sea kayaking will come soon.

So get fit and stay fit. The Buddha is often portrayed as having a fat belly, I don't believe that for a moment but better a fat body than a fat intellect. The flexibility of body gained in Hatha Yoga can transfer itself into more flexibility of mind. Create your own paradigm, if you don't get belted round the head by a squash racket its a great thing.

There are lions and lambs in the sport world too. Currently the British Lions (rugby) look more like old sheep when compared to the Springboks. England has to bring in new talent if they are to rule the world stage once more. I by far prefer sports that you can play rather than the spectator ones but if you are active in a sport watching the pro's can inspire.

The psychology of the mob is often visible in football, but if you really want to beat someone up and live - try boxing!
Previous

Return to Commonroom