Sorting out things learned through the BK experience

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

cypress

friends or family of a BK

Sorting out things learned through the BK experience

Post13 Feb 2009

BKti-pit wrote:To some extent, I think that I have now outgrown the BKWSU. I came with high ideals but hopeless. It gave me faith in myself and was a boost for my ideals. Now I feel that my ideals can not be fulfilled within the limited context of the BKWSU but the tools I got from it will remain very useful.

My comments are perhaps a bit off topic, and may also belong elsewhere, but I am very interested in the comment that, "the tools I got from it (BK) will remain useful". I would very much like to know (from BKti-pit and others), which tools remain useful, help you go forward in your path through life, and how do you sort that out. (I am thinking here both about my friend, but also about myself, and my attraction to some of the outer layers of BK thought).

A bit more broadly, it seems to me that many people walk through complex, intense, difficult experiences in life (often with a spiritual dimension) and while the BK is a very particular experience with many complex layers, there is a more universal question and experience here - of how do people walk through things that can wound, damage, scar but at the same time offer important tools, gifts, life lessons, and how to people sort that out as they move forward. This can be a very personal question, with each individual having to find their own unique answers. At the same time, there may be some common or useful themes.

I appreciate any and all ideas, insights etc.

bkti-pit

Independent, free thinking BK

Re: Sorting out things learned through the BK experience

Post14 Feb 2009

cypress wrote: I would very much like to know which tools remain useful, help you go forward in your path through life, and how do you sort that out.

Briefly, I can mention the practice of meditation and the practice of soul consciousness, a greater ability to love, a clearer sense of purpose and sense of Truth, an improved ability to take decisions, greater self confidence, a greater emotional stability and resilience, an improved ability to remain calm under adverse circumstances, a greater ability to sort out my feelings and put them right and sort myself out from the various external influences, a stronger sense of trust in destiny ...

I think I totally got rid of all traces of guilt consciousness.
    Very seldom do I experience feelings of anger anymore.
    I have learned to trust my intuitions ...
These are all great tools acquired through my BK life. Some of them I might had acquired anyway even if I had not been a BK but my reality is that my non BK-life had taken me to a dead end whilst my BK life brought the best out of me.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post14 Feb 2009

bkti-pit wrote:These are all great tools acquired through my BK life. Some of them I might had acquired anyway even if I had not been a BK but my reality is that my non BK-life had taken me to a dead end whilst my BK life brought the best out of me.

Where do you think that come from?

Within you through introspection ... the ink on paper ... the people within the BKWSU that you chose or managed to surround yourself with ... or the other influences that you came across during your time in the BKWSU, e.g. diet, celibacy, other reading materials outside of the orthodox BK ones?

(What I am leading to is a guide for individuals in how to make the best of their time or experience within the BKWSU. Something we spoke about earlier. For example, I would underline "Be very careful and very chosey about which BKs you accept in and around you").

bkti-pit

Independent, free thinking BK

Post14 Feb 2009

ex-l wrote:Where do you think that come from?

Maybe I should have added: "I took the best out of the BK" ...

I would say I used common sense and followed my instincts. I never swallowed anything blindly. Before I adopted anything in my life style or my way of thinking, it had to make sense to me. Or if unsure I would try it out and see.

Often I would feel at odds with the general trend within the movement and would sometimes think that something must be wrong with me, but when I went inside of me and checked it out against the feelings that I got from what I thought to be God, I would always come out reassured that my feelings were right and that I should just trust that God would take care of putting things right. Now, I do not think he did such a good job at it yet ...

I have been pulled into the BK world by an overwhelming experience of God that I got when I began trying out the BK meditation and I would left aside whatever did not match those feelings, whatever did not match the purpose for which I joined, even if it was supposed to be the words of God.

I found enough inspirations in the Murlis to tolerate the contradictions, etc, and everything that was irrelevant for me in it, and I generally had no problem putting aside, questioning and/or suspending my judgment on things that did not match my sense of Truth. I did not feel I had to have an explanation for everything.

The Murlis gave me very useful insights into myself and things like ego and attachment, although it seems to me that many BKs have a sadly antisocial understanding of detachment.

And, yes, good friends inside and outside the BKs, people with common sense too. And not looking down at anyone as being a Shudra but instead look at everyone with a vision of equality: we are all Brothers.

Yes! My BK life brought the best out of me and I took the best out of the BK ... and now I am ready to move on and move up ...

desi_exbk

ex-BK

Post15 Feb 2009

One thing you learn as a BK is to dismiss every other faith/religion as "blind faith". The day you realize that can be applied recursively, you will become enlightened ;). You don't need a Bodhi tree for this - can happen sitting in a toilet.

tom

ex-BK

Post15 Feb 2009

It's a tricky question, asked with bona fide of course, but a bit like asking recovering alcoholics to remember their intoxicated phrase.

During the exiting period, I was just like dear bkti-pit thankful to some tools I learned in BK life for overcoming some tests in my lokik life with ease. But after cooling down and recovering from the influence of the BKs, I realized that it was the strength and goodness in me, my personality, who managed to pass such tests, all my life long since my childhood, before Gyan, during BK life and afterwards.

Something we learned during BK life was from the Murlis: "Charity time is over ... Give everything you have to Baba". From Dadi Janki's favorite classes: "You will be responsible from your money you give, you don't know what they do with your money."

So we have not helped the ones in need around us, not to get involved in their karma, because we were brainwashed with "charity time is over". And we have put all our money into Baba's box. Now are we responsible from all the decadence and greed of the Leaders for luxury ? :D Joke.

We are brainwashed during our BK life, when we witness a human tragedy, to turn our back and walk away, believing, 'this is their karma, I am not going to involve in it'. Now, when I witness any human in need, or hear or watch any humanitarian tragedy, I check my mind, that I shall not fall into that old inhuman thought pattern, and search if I can do something, maybe to find a way to help and/or to donate my 2 cents.

Return to Commonroom