BK targeting children

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

jann

friends or family of a BK

BK targeting children

Post23 Oct 2012

Amid the rush, a corner of peace and quiet 21 October 2012

KOLKATA, 21 OCT: Pandal-hoppers headed out early in the afternoon today, apprehensive that a change in weather might spoil their fun. Not everybody is rushing round the city streets to mark the festival, though.

On Elgin Road, Arpita Mitra was standing still. Very still. The 12-year-old student at BDM International School is one of the six girls chosen for the spiritual group Brahma Kumaris' “living durga” show this year. For Arpita and her friends, a lifetime of meditation means that standing still in the poses of idols in the scene isn’t that hard, they say. “The effect of meditation, it gives us concentration and gives us peace of mind,” said Arpita, who stands at the centre as Durga herself. It’s not just good for standing still, says 12-year-old Aria Sharma, “It helps me in studies also. I can learn very fast.”

What do their friends think of it all? “They get surprised,” giggles 10-year-old Lovely Nayak. Mriddika Purkait and Deepa Shaw, who are getting ready to take a later shift in the pandal-like stage, agree.

Brother Singh ~ a member of the Brahma Kumaris ~ said they don’t really believe in religion as such. “It’s all about spirituality,” he says. They run meditation classes daily at their centre in Elgin Road, which is one of many centres around the world. “We call it soul-charging, like battery-charging for your mobile,” he said. The scene is small and simple because they want to spread a simple message about love, peace and other virtues, he said. “Do you really get happiness and joy by beating the drum and disturbing people… It is a joy,” Brother Singh said. “But a temporary joy.”

Mr Gautam Chakraborty, Director General of Police (Traffic) and former police commissioner, who opened this year's Puja scene during a small ceremony last night, is no stranger to the centre. “You know, I find peace of mind when I come here,” he said. “I have gone through the pamphlets and booklets and I feel what they say, they have a lot relevance to life, especially for a cop.”

Making people feel better is a mission that the young living goddesses say they take very seriously when they are being watched by passers-by. “Giving people enjoyment,” said Arpita, “is our most important business.”

"Brother Singh ~ a member of the Brahma Kumaris ~ said they don’t really believe in religion as such. “It’s all about spirituality,” he says". “We call it soul-charging, like battery-charging for your mobile,” he said.

“We call it soul-charging, like battery-charging for your mobile,” he said.

Return to Commonroom