The House is Full of Yogis by Will Hodgkinson

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

Pink Panther

Re: The House is Full of Yogis

Post26 Nov 2014

I meant that this video looks like Neville’s idea and Will doesn’t want to say no. He can’t very well write an honest account and call out the weirdness of his dad’s behaviour etc and then not want to discuss it with him.

Members of families, children especially, will tolerate a lot and go out of their way not to harm their relationships with their parents. What i see in this family history is that all the tolerance and effort to acceptance is coming from the non-BK side. What aspects of BKism would Neville have sacrificed if his family refused to accommodate him?

Neville knows that (nearly) all publicity is good publicity, so to get his son talking to him in a friendly ’normal' way reduces any residual impression people may have taken from the book of how strange Neville and the BKs are.

And yes, as far as ”spiritual” stuff, if the BKs are his benchmark of wisdom and spirituality, his mention of the buzzwords - mindfulness is just meditation (well... yes but...) - he is still in pre-school.

And Wills last few lines show this video is about getting BKs to buy it, and maybe even promote it. And it feels like the book is Will’s child-like needy way of saying, Dad, I still love you, not because of the BKisms but despite them.

ex-l

ex-BK

Re: The House is Full of Yogis

Post26 Nov 2014

Pink Panther wrote:Neville knows that (nearly) all publicity is good publicity, so to get his son talking to him in a friendly ’normal' way reduces any residual impression people may have taken from the book of how strange Neville and the BKs are.

Yes, and I notice how they did not go anywhere near more personal aspects.

I went to see Will talk in public. Despite the whitewashing BKism gets ... he stresses this is not a book about the BKs but rather an autobiography of himself as a young boy ... the questions that did come up were about the weirdness of the BKs, e.g. the 5,000 years and how humanity is going to procreate if it give up sex.

He said he thought his Father might feel some regret for how selfish he (and his BK supporter and promoter wife) acted, in essence dumping him at boarding school so he could pursue the Kirpalani Klan and she could pursue her career.

In this highly controlled video for the BKWSU, they obviously avoid going anywhere near all that.

Is this stuff affirming that, "the BKs have a lot of wisdom" just seeking acceptance from his Father?

I would call it their advertising ... and is it so "wise" if such second hand wisdom is being used to sucker people into the core teachings and activity?

Pink Panther

Re: The House is Full of Yogis by Will Hodgkinson

Post26 Nov 2014

Will’s spiritual naivety of his perception of ”BK wisdom” needs to be challenged.

If Will was reading this, I’d ask him what I have asked or proposed to others here. Among the things you have recognised as ”wise” or ”beneficial” in the BKs, which of them are unique to the BKs, i.e. only exist because the BKs exist?

Are you sure they are not merely a human wisdom that manifests in different cultures and traditions regardless of what kind of theism, atheism, superstition or philosophy it is wrapped up in?

That is, ”spiritual wisdom" is a human core trait, the wrapping is usually that which separates the wisdom from being recognised for its universality, presenting it as ”exclusive”. The wrapping is the ego wank, each one declaring without irony ”I have no ego, inside is my humble revelation that I share with you out of the goodness of my heart. Please, no need to thank me, it’s what I do. Just throw money”.
Previous

Return to Commonroom