Life with a BK: Grounds For Divorce Under Hindu Marriage Act

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

ex-l

ex-BK

Life with a BK: Grounds For Divorce Under Hindu Marriage Act

Post05 Jul 2014

This is a pattern that we have been hearing and reading time and time and time again over the decades since 1930s, and from all over the world. What's is interesting to note about this incident, is how the Brahma Kumari in question ... despite refusing to honour her conjugal agreement and creating discord within her husband's family ... does not want to divorce her non-BK husband. And it is the non-BK husband who is patiently tolerating her excesses out of "love" (love, of course, the BKs would see as impure or a weakness and spiritual impediment ... the sin of attachment).

Let's presume why ... she does not want to divorce the husband because wants him to continue financially supporting her and her involvement in the BK cult ... and her attitudes towards her in-laws, and her efforts to separate her husband from them, is based on the BK indoctrination that they are "impure Shudras". "Devils" from "hell" according the BKs' Murli scriptures even.

Therefore, the question arises, since we read and hear about this time and time again ... is it BKWSU policy and a regular source of income for BK cult?

I would guess the idea of separating the husband from his non-BK family is to remove all non-BK influences or criticisms.

What do we hear from the liberal, elite Western BKs about all this? Nothing. No questioning of the organization's ethics, no criticisms, no reform. Silence giving approval to it all. We can assume that along with money, the centre is also taking the wive's time and energy - free labour away from benefit the extended non-BK family but benefiting the BK cult.

Take the money, damn the consequences on the rest of society ... and what of the child?
Rajesh on October 1, 2010 wrote:I got married 12 years ago on 1999. Now we have a 10 years child.

7 years ago she [his wife] joined in brahmakumaris religion.

For the past 6 years she refuses to make sexual relationship with me. So from the past 6 years we have not any sex as well as she refuses to touch me.

Now she always quarrel with my old parents so they live separately. She forced me to cut all the relations with all of my friends, relatives and other persons. She always scolds me without any reason. She forced me to obey all her words.

There is not any peace in our home. But she is not willing to give divorce. I also love her, so bear her for this long period. But now her cruelness increases day by day. She gives me so much mentally torture.

Please give me any solution. I do not want to divorce her if she make my home peaceful.

Under the Hindu Marriage Act "renouncing the world by entering any religious order" or conversion to another religion is grounds for divorce. Refusal to have sexual relations with a spouse is also generally considered abandonment and a good cause.

Pink Panther

Re: Life with a BK: Grounds For Divorce Under Hindu Marriage

Post06 Jul 2014

Is that Hindu marriage act divorce religious law only, or valid in civil law, e.g. Roman Catholics did not recognise divorce until recently. It was ”in the eyes of God, till death us do part”.

What about non-Hindus?

What defines a Hindu?

ex-l

ex-BK

Re: Life with a BK: Grounds For Divorce Under Hindu Marriage

Post06 Jul 2014

The Hindu Marriage Act was enacted in 1955 by the Parliament of India, so it is a proper government law/act. The main purpose of the enactment was to amend and codify the law relating to marriage among Hindus.
Section 2 says:
This Act applies -
    to any person who is a Hindu by religion in any of its forms or developments, including a Virashaiva, a Lingayat or a follower of the Brahmo, Prarthana or Arya Samaj;
    to any person who is a Buddhist, Jaina or Sikh by religion; and
    to any other person domiciled in the territories to which this Act extends who is not a Muslim, Christian, Parsi or Jew by religion, unless it is proved that any such person would not have been governed by the Hindu law or by any custom or usage as part of that law in respect of any of the matters dealt with herein if this Act had not been passed.

It applies to all such persons domiciled in India who are not Muslims, Christians, Parsi, Jews. Sikhs have a further Act defining their marriages.

I suppose the Brahma Kumaris could try and wangle their way around it claiming not to be Hindus ... (although elsewhere they claim to be promoting HInduism). However ...
Hindus, Buddhists, Jainas or Sikhs by religion, as the case may be,-
    (a) any child, legitimate or illegitimate, both of whose parents are Hindus, Buddhists, Jainas or Sikhs by religion;
    (b) any child, legitimate or illegitimate, one of whose parents is a Hindu, Buddhist Jaina or Sikh by religion and who is brought up as a member of tribe, community, group or family to which such parents belongs or belonged; and
    (c) any person who is a convert or re-convert to the Hindus, Buddhist, Jaina or Sikh religion.

Return to Commonroom