Can I quote someone by name?

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

captporridge

non-BK

Can I quote someone by name?

Post23 Apr 2007

Would anyone be interested in being quoted in a short article about last week's Lee James lecture? Both sides are welcome,

Instead of saying, "critics of BK argue ..." I could put a name in there and current position, i.e. former member. That would add weight to the allegations. If any supporters would like to have their say too, I'd be happy to put in comments defending BK against allegations of being a totalitarian cult.

The article is for the Keimyung Gazette English website and maybe the next printed edition if the editor thinks its important enough. It probably won't be read by many people on the net, but it will be there if anyone wants to link to it.

Thanks, if you're interested, please PM me your name, experience with the group and comments, it is a short article, just a couple of paragraphs, so if I get a few I will not be able to put them all in, but I'll try to represent both viewpoints.

Thanks

yudhishtira

reforming BK

Post25 Apr 2007

I hope you got a response Capt Porridge. Some of us have to be a little careful about our position unfortunately! :wink:.

captporridge

non-BK

Post25 Apr 2007

That's OK, I understand completely.

A name would be nice, but with the content of the lecture, how it was advertised, the handing out of BK flyers before and after (despite no mention of BK in the lecture) the misleading way Lee was promoted - a counselling expert, and videos by BK on YouTube, plus the consistency between allegations raised here and content on BK sites, YouTube and the content of the lecture ... well that's a lot of things which will raise serious concerns about the group's presence on campus ... :D

So name's are nice, but I understand concerns, Especially for those with friends and family still involved. So everything's sweet my end.

Thanks anyway.

proy

ex-BK

Re: Can I quote someone by name?

Post27 Apr 2007

CaptPorridge wrote:Would anyone be interested in being quoted in a short article about last week's Lee James lecture? Both sides are welcome,

I will think about it, Captain. Some time ago there was a request for me to be quoted in the Scottish Mail on Sunday.

I refused, not because I am worried about what the BKs think, I am sure they know who I am anyway. No. The worry is that here in the UK if the press get hold of your name they tear you to pieces after twisting your words and telling lies about you.

The UK so-called journalists are mostly total scumbags who will do anything, including fabricating a scandal about you, to sell their newspapers. The libel laws give little or no protection from this sort of thing here.

If I had allowed myself to be quoted in the Mail then maybe it would have been good for those people affected by the BKs but it would have been bad for me and for my family.

Are newspapers different in South Korea?

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post27 Apr 2007

I will also think about it ... I have been asked before, but now I ... well, I'll think about it.

Return to Commonroom