Different types of Psychotherapy for recovery

for concern over cult-related damage, institutional abuse & psychological problems.

Terry

ex-BK

Re: Different types of Psychotherapy for recovery

Post26 Mar 2009

leela wrote: for a person with a ruptured sense of self, there is the deep inner conviction that there is no one there to help at a time of need.

The BK says - how can they understand the imperatives of the Confluence Age? This is really crucial. How to get someone to trust that help is there, and is worthwhile?

ex-l's criticisms of NHS, and many psychoanalysts are valid. I have tried to suggest that it is the person not the modality that should be chosen (even the wise old relative may be the one).

I feel the main thing is that a person makes a move. Takes a step, starts looking out there - that in itself is the start of healing. I am not sure that going to a bad therapist is counterproductive in the long run, though it may be at the time. It is a start. Better than making excuses for doing nothing. How will you know what is a good therapist if you have never seen even a bad one? It is a conundrum. But we learn from mistakes.

But as said, if you are honest, actively involved in your own healing, not sitting waiting for someone to do it for you, you will know if the therapist is good for you or not. And you may find the momentum generated means you actually don't need one anymore.
Previous

Return to Abuse & Recovery