Definition of a Sociopath: mental illness in the BKWSU?

for concern over cult-related damage, institutional abuse & psychological problems.

ex-l

ex-BK

Definition of a Sociopath: mental illness in the BKWSU?

Post06 Feb 2010

Why is mental illness never serious discussed by the Brahma Kumaris? Perhaps because so many of them would find themselves classified as ill? Perhaps because it is an advantage to them ... until it reaches a critical point of suicide, or whatever.

Arguably, if you actually believe what they teach, the Brahma Kumaris are actually encouraging mental illness!

Bear in mind:

• World Health Organization (WHO), 1 in every 4 people, or 25% per cent of individuals, develops one or more mental disorders at some stage in life.
    • 2 - 5% of India's population suffers some form of mental or behavioural disorder. Around 1% has a serious form of mental disorder requiring urgent care at any one point of time. No less than 10-15% of those attending general health facilities have a common mental disorder.
    • Two-thirds of all people with a diagnosable mental disorder do not seek treatment, whether for fear of being stigmatized.
    • Many people suffer from more than one mental disorder at a given time.
How many BKs at any given point in time are suffering from some kind, or some degree, of mental illness?

Elsewhere, in a topic exposing another Brahma Kumari lie about the age and past of their founder Lekhraj Kirpalani, what it makes me ask is if their current leader and relative of Lekhraj Kirpalani, Janki Kripalani, is a sociopath. I based that on what are now decades of lies, fraudulently promotion, hiding of the truth of the past and gradiosity (chasing after VIPs) and all the blind eye turning to the crimes in the BK's "God's" name? Never mind mentioning the emotionally instability, the temper loses, the tears in public, the use and manipulate other people and the infantile attachment to Lekhraj Kirpalani that she often portrays ... "My Baba!".

I am not being critical, I am being genuine. I honestly think ... rather than be worshipped as 'One of the Top 8 Souls in The World" she may need a psychotherapist. One that will not be sucked in by her charm and guile. Is her "power" 'her'' power or is it just some spiritual influence that she is channeling?

These are the traits are of sociopathy based on the psychopathy checklists of Cleckley and Hare. I do not mean to apply them directly upon her, because I am not qualified to discern mental illness, but I do ask the question of whether they apply to any leading Brahma Kumaris?
Profile of the Sociopath

Glibness and Superficial Charm

Manipulative and Conning

They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.
Grandiose Sense of Self

Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."
Pathological Lying

Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.
Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt

Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.
Shallow Emotions

When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.
Incapacity for Human Love

Callousness/Lack of Empathy

Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.
Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature

Abuse alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.
Irresponsibility/Unreliability

Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.
Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle

Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.
Entrepreneurial Versatility

Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.
Other Related Qualities:

Contemptuous of those who seek to understand them
    Does not perceive that anything is wrong with them
    Authoritarian
    Secretive
    Paranoid
    Only rarely in difficulty with the law, but seeks out situations where their tyrannical behavior will be tolerated, condoned, or admired
    Conventional appearance
    Goal of enslavement of their victim(s)
    Exercises despotic control over every aspect of the victim's life
    Ultimate goal is the creation of a willing victim
    Incapable of real human attachment to another
    Unable to feel remorse or guilt
    Extreme narcissism and grandiose
    May state readily that their goal is to rule the world.

Of course, the Brahma Kumari leadership do not "state" their goal is to rule the world ... they KNOW they will! For 2,500 years.

Return to Abuse & Recovery