How Music Saved an ex-BK from the BKWSU Clutches

for concern over cult-related damage, institutional abuse & psychological problems.

ex-l

ex-BK

How Music Saved an ex-BK from the BKWSU Clutches

Post05 Jul 2011

From the aptly named, www.fake-guru.com.

Sounds familiar ... another country, another individual, same story
Thomas wrote:So I was thinking, wow what a great effect and my teacher told me, that I am a special soul.

My teacher was very strict, and there was no sex allowed, he always said when you are horny take a cold shower! He said you are not the body only the soul. So in this time I was fully denying my body and feelings like anger, hate or jealousy. I had to practise virtues, starting every morning 6 o clock with morning meditation in the center. Writing the words of the following lecture in a book, cause I was called a student.

This lecture came from a holy woman from India, she was like a channel for the divine words of Baba the suprem soul, preparing you to become a pure soul. Because then you will come to the Golden Age. They always influenced everybody, that in the year of 2000 the world cycle will be finished and only the choosen ones will come to the Golden Age.

I was not allowed to read any books or scriptures, or listen to any other music which is not from Brahma Kumaris. So I was selling all my old Rock and Blues Records, selling all my books, because this was all Maya, illusion and bad energy. On one hand it was good cause in that time I was reading Castaneda, Crowley and Timothy Leary, trying all kinds of drugs for to get a new consciousness. So I stopped smoking, drinking alcohol, eating meat, taking drugs..... I also stopped to make my psychedilic music in my session band. I left all of my old friends and wanted to become a pure soul....

By the time I was so much influenced that I went in morning at 4 o clock and also at the same day to the evening meditation. I renovated also there the center, because I had no job.

The students had to write every hour the time of meditation - soul connection - in a chart, the best chart was published in the center for the others.

I was only alowed to eat in the center or to prepare my own food. I remember how hard it was for my mother that I did not eat any of her lovley cooked food, when I was invited by her. It was only allowed to wear white cloths and not wear any leather cloths.

I remember once I wanted to have a walk with an older Sister, but then my teacher said to me, that I should only walk with male persons. So in this way I was fully supressing my sexuality, because my aim was to come with them to Mount Abu, where the headquarter of Brahma Kumaris was. So after not even one year I came for my first time to India. Staying only in the Brahma Kumaris Ashrams.

My Indian Sitar teacher was my help to come out of the sect. To learn music was stronger, than to become a holy soul.....So music saved me......

After many years I met this meditation teacher from Brahma Kumaris in the park. He was asking me, about my spiritual practise. I told him that I am just living in the here and now. And I just showed him the beautiful ducks swiming on the lake and the blooming trees. He only laught about me, and said that I am lost in illusion. But I am so much happy to see GOD now in everything. So all the time when I was in this different sects music was my healer. Music never left me.

I thank GOD that I am in no sect and with no Guru.

I have a nice wife and following the nada Yoga, the way music. So birds are my Guru, or the whispering of a creek, the wind in the trees, or a children face. I just trust in life and love.

jann

friends or family of a BK

Re: How Music Saved an ex-BK from the BKWSU Clutches

Post05 Jul 2011

Suppressing Emotions – A Definition

What exactly does “suppressing emotions” mean? Essentially, emotional suppression is a type of emotion regulation strategy -– these are strategies that we use to try to make uncomfortable thoughts and feelings more manageable. There are many different emotion regulation strategies, and some are more helpful than others. For example, some people turn to alcohol or drugs to get rid of painful emotions. While this may work as an emotion regulation strategy in the short term, it definitely has bad long-term consequences.

Suppressing emotions, or just trying to push emotional thoughts and feelings out of your mind, is an emotion regulation strategy many people use. And, when used from time to time, it doesn’t have dramatic negative consequences like drug or alcohol use. But, there is reason to believe that if you try to push emotions away all the time, emotional suppression could lead to problems.

The Consequences of Suppressing Emotions

Researchers have studied what happens when you try to push away thoughts and feelings for decades. A famous study on this topic was conducted by Daniel Wegner, Ph.D., and his colleagues. He examined what happened when one group of people was instructed to push away thoughts of a white bear (another group was allowed to think any thoughts, including thoughts about a white bear). He found that the group who had suppressed thoughts of a white bear actually ended up having more white bear thoughts than the group that had been allowed to thinking about anything.

Wegner called this the “rebound effect of thought suppression.” Essentially, if you try to push away a thought of some topic, you will end up having more thoughts about that topic. Many follow-up studies have been conducted that confirm Wegner’s original finding. And, studies have expanded on his finding, and shown that the same effect happens when you try to push away emotional thoughts, or when you try to push away the actual feelings.

The Rebound Effect of Suppressing Emotions – What This Means for You

So what does this research mean for you? Well, it means that if you frequently try to push away thoughts and feelings, you may be making more trouble for yourself. In fact, it is possible that this is setting up a vicious cycle: You have a painful emotion. You try to push it away. This leads to more painful emotions, which you try to push away, and so on. Now today, do not think about a pink elephant. When you do, push it away.

Suppressing/Expressing Emotions

How shutting down your feelings can be disastrous to your relationship by Dr. Sue Johnson, April 22, 2010.

Research has shown that suppressing your emotions pretty well shuts down communication within that relationship. Let's chat about what the findings from one study might mean for your relationship. James Gross, a scientist who studies emotion, found that when we try to suppress emotion, this is what happens:

• It's very hard to do - basically it doesn't work. We have to work very hard to shut an emotion down once it is up and running, and in the process, we often get more agitated and tense. This is especially true in close relationships when the trigger for the emotion, the other person, is still there giving us signals that get us all
    fired up.

• Emotion doesn't stay inside our skin. When we try to shut feelings off, the people we are relating to also get more and more tense.

When we are denying our feelings, our partners probably get tense because our faces register our feelings way faster than the thinking part of the brain can shut them down. So our partner knows there is something going on when we say "Oh, nothing is wrong. I am fine." This partner also knows that we are shutting them out. When partners cannot read our cues, they cannot predict our behavior. We say one thing but they see another. It makes sense that they get tense. Probably this uncertainty puts everyone off balance and adds to the likelihood that the conversation, or even the whole evening, goes sour.

Emotions are fast. It takes about 100 milliseconds for our brain to react emotionally and about 600 milliseconds for our thinking brain, our cortex, to register this reaction. By the time you decide that it's better not to get mad or to be sad, your face has been expressing it for 500 milliseconds. Too late! The emotional signal has been sent. It's like pressing "send" on your email before you double-check content and email address. Not only that, but when you deny the message, this is puzzling for your partner and makes it harder for them to feel relaxed and safe with you. You are suddenly someone who can shut them out as if they don't matter!

What does all this tell us as lovers and partners? It tells us that the shut down and suppress strategy should be used with care. That it doesn't do what we usually hope it will do, namely calm us down, lower the tenor of a conversation or bypass a fight. Most of the time, we shut down out of habit. We do it because we don't know what else to do. What I see, as a couple therapist, is that it really is not so dangerous to just say that you are mad, sad, scared, surprised, somehow ashamed or full of joy. This list is about it for the real core universal emotions. When we name our emotions we often feel more grounded, more in control. And we give our partner the chance to respond - to empathize.

And in the end, giving our partner a chance to show us they care, that they can be with us and be there for us, is one of the magic ingredients of a loving relationship.

Return to Abuse & Recovery