Priorities for Recovery from the BKWSU

for concern over cult-related damage, institutional abuse & psychological problems.

Mike26

Priorities for Recovery from the BKWSU

Post21 Jul 2011

ex-l wrote:Apart from studying up on 'Conspiracy Theory 101' ... which we have gotten underlined now ... what practical life changes have you made, or do you recommend to ex-BKs ?

Funnily enough, getting back into shape and their bodies, building up confidence and control via physical exercise (anything from dance to real Yoga or martial arts) is something that I would very much agree with.

What would you prescribe and in what priority?

In terms of priorities for recovery:

Priority number one - get away from anything related or associated with Brahma kumarism. Ignore the thoughts, banish the images and throw out all literature etc linked to them.

Exorcise all the spectres that haunt you like the ghost of Destruction, guilt at feeling impure etc. I personally found psychological therapies helpful to rid myself and work through all the stuff i was left with. Though therapies might be suited to all.

Ironic is not it but talking about BK-ism to others is a double-edged sword. I think there are dangers related to talking to ex-BKs as this can be another form of return to BK-ism and full of negative triggers. It is cathartic and supportive sometimes too. I found talking to non-BKs altogether more helpful as they could not collude with all that unconscious stuff which tries to draw you back to it.

Repairing ones self-esteem is critical, a self-esteem already undermined by BK-ism and possibly diminished further by leaving and all that might bring such as a sense of failure, loneliness, alienation etc. This is about recognising ones intrinsic worth as a human being, value is innate to who you are, rather than being dependent on notions of being a good effort maker and yogi.

Once these things are back in some kind of shape. Getting back into relationships, friends, having fun for gods sake. Obviously if you enter relationships with all those BK hangups its no going to do that great but once you have your act together get out their and live. I, personally, followed my own advice and met a beautiful girl from another country and have been happily married ever since.

Food, exercise etc. I think suggestion like other healthy Yoga's, swimming, running, lifting weights, martial arts, dancing, fencing, archery or whatever exercise you enjoy. I had a slight advantage in that I was schooled in many of the above from an early age and maintained a lot of throughout my time with the BKs and kept them up since.

Eat properly, sleep enough (that 4 hours a night competition was a recipe for becoming ill). Diet, sleep and rest, and adequate exercise ... still referred to as the "health triad". Get these right and you are half way there.

Learn to explore your potential. Do all those things the BKs said were a waste of time. Actualize and be all you were meant to be. Test your limits and find your place. You had potential to be so much more before the BKs got their mitts on you, shame to ignore it when you have left that dustbin.

Learn to manage your stress and develop a network of personal emotional support. There are many self-help methods and strategies around to develop both areas.

Realise that we can act as agents of our destiny albeit within certain limits allowed by the system. But it often makes a difference and is empowering.

And when you feel psychologically ready, strong and courageous you might want to take a fresh look at how life really works. Thats the big one but it requires being in the right place in terms of health and strength.

Finally I'd say don't come on forums or sites like this. Use them only for the time they appear helpful and then move on and wave them goodbye. Here is where lately I have failed to take my own advice. Oh well, still work to do I guess : ).

ex-l

ex-BK

Re: Priorities for Recovery from the BKWSU

Post22 Jul 2011

Mike26 wrote:Finally I'd say don't come on forums or sites like this.

I think your post contains a lot of good advice but I think the last comment was a little immature. You don't see to understand the response you personally got was a reflection of your own actions carpetbombing us with lengthy 'off topic' rambles ... but no more discussion of that.

I actually very strongly agree with your comment, "Use these forums only for the time they appear helpful and then move on", although we see that people find it useful to dip back in from time to time as a sort of litmus test as to how far they have gone and developed. Someone might leave for a year or more but then come back and read what they wrote. One, Abrahma Kumar, used it as an excellent "chart" of exiting.

Many people come back, read their own posts and ours of that time, and wonder at just how much they have progressed ... even the ones we have booted off because they were silly, boring or just too mentally unstable (I am sorry but we just cannot deal with mental illnesses. We are unequipped to do so, it would be professional unethical to do so, and they are just too damaging to the forum/community).

Some individuals choose to stop here in order to offer some kind of service to others. Others work here and across the internet raising awareness and warning the greater community (whoever we can reach via the internet). For me, those are both healing, and a wonderful Samaritan or Buddha-esque thing to do ... extending one's compassion to others ... The benefits of doing so are quite separate from addressing Brahma Kumarism.

Indeed, I would argue doing some good to counter and balance the bullsh** one did in the name of the Brahma Kumaris is very much part of the therapy of exiting. Tell the world about it! Make a very clear statement of ... "I am out!" Prove it in actions. Selfless, rewardless altruism has its own rewards, they say.

About a year ago, we "raised the bar" or "drew a line in the sand" that this forum was for folks that were or wanted out, not an alternative BKWSU for folks trapped in the Bardo between BK-ism and the real world. Some folks did not like having the teat taken out of their mouth.

Relative to this topic, I would say that if you are thinking of leaving the BKWSU you should really do it wholeheartedly. Do not try to balance your life with a foot in both boats? Leave, break all the principles you want. Realise it won't kill you and move on. Ditch getting off on being a BK-style guru. You can alway go back the BKs say (vampires always need prey) but give being out a full chance.

Return to Abuse & Recovery