Transitioning from a Cult Back into Society

for concern over cult-related damage, institutional abuse & psychological problems.

ex-l

ex-BK

Transitioning from a Cult Back into Society

Post16 Aug 2011

No empirical research has been conducted on what works and does not work for ex-cult members transitioning from a cult back into society. Most narratives on the subject deal with people telling stories of their involvement in a cult and the many challenges they face after leaving a cult(s).

Despite the lack of research about ex-cult members transitioning from a cult to society; several sociological theories and related research about newly released prisoners may help to explain the reintegration process. [The author] interviews several ex-cult members to gain a better understanding of what works and does not work when transitioning from a cult back into society.

From Transitioning from a Cult Back into Society by Lisa Monroney from the website of Rosanne Henry, a professional, licensed counselor who helps people evaluate harm in cultic groups, relationships, and potentially abusive organizations, especially those disguised as churches.

alladin

no label

Re: Transitioning from a Cult Back into Society

Post17 Sep 2011

Hi everybody. Supposedly this could be a topic in which I can write a few lines. In recent months, it happened to me twice, that ex BKs that have not become totally "anti BKWSO", commented about their previous involvement in ways such as "nobody forced me to cross their threshold or stay. It was my responsibility ... etc ...". If they feel at ease with this closure, fine. They don't want to make their lives complicated, they prefer to move on and ignore their past of enculted members by denying any possible brainwashing technique and aim.

To me, this attitude seems not different from sweeping the dust under the carpet. Each one of us is different and, hopefully free to admit or deny whatever.

Personally I am grateful to this Forum and God that helped me open my eyes and see how close I had come to become a zombie myself and how my thirst for spirituality and innocence had been exploited cunningly by a sect.

This Forum produced plenty of evidence of such dynamics, backed up by experts in sects, psychologists, etc ...

Plenty of reading material is available here and, in my case, I am glad I invested time in studying it. I also highly value interacting honestly with others and see how all of this related to my personal experience.

My healing and exiting required a lot of work and unravelling and is part of my spiritual journey. Sometimes hard but pleasurable and beneficial. I'd rather discover new things everyday than freeze, come to a standstill or be locked up in certitudes like a fossil.

Hugs to all.

maria

ex-BK

Post22 Sep 2011

From the book "Taking Back Your Life" by Janja Lalich and Madelein Tobias.

Chapter 7 Taking Back Your Mind

Cult exploitation is an assault on your true sense of self. Because of this, many cult members do not want to recognize that they where in such a group or relationship.

Denial is common among former members who do not seek exit counseling or education about cults. Knowledge of cults gives you the language to explain to yourself what happened and a framework for understanding your involvement. Unless you accept the experience as a cultic one, you may not make time for education, introspection, and insight, possibly prolonging the unwanted after effects of your involvement.

CULT RECOVERY by Madelein Tobias

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post22 Sep 2011

denial is very interesting, because you can swing the other way and completely blame yourself, two sides of the same affliction

ex-l

ex-BK

Post22 Sep 2011

People who are cult leaders don't have friends, don't have lovers; they have victims.

Is this a true statement? I know BKs and BK leaders are not suppose to have "attachments" and attachments is a very bad word or Maya within the BKWSU. But is it true to say the BK leaders don't have friends or do they bend the rules so they can?

Is part of the BK training to create unfeeling individuals capable of exploiting others?

She talks a lot about trance states, very much part of the Brahma Kumaris experience.

She also suggests that cult leaders, during trance state, can implant suggestions to make them appear far more credible and adherents far more susceptible to them, including "turning the attention within" and imagining or creating inner world which is pure BK.

She also picks up on the closeness, and power, of hypnosis and how long it takes to change ethics and particularly how susceptible one is when one first comes out of a meditative state. That goes on all the time at the BKs.

A lot of what she speaks about are anti-social personality types who enjoying controlling others, and possible even that that has a genetic root. Dictating other people's lives ... carrot and stick. Well, that is all totally BK, totally Janki Kripalani.

I think she talks very credibly ...
In a cult you are taught to trust your own thoughts and mind, you are taught not to listen to yourself.

The more time and the more money you have invested into a cult, the harder it is to leave ... To admit you are wrong is very tough.

Return to Abuse & Recovery