Are you a carrier? Is the BKWSU really out of you?

for concern over cult-related damage, institutional abuse & psychological problems.

ex-l

ex-BK

Are you a carrier? Is the BKWSU really out of you?

Post30 Mar 2012

Is the 'inside' of you really 'out' ... by which I mean "out of the BKWSU"?

I have met a few ex-BKs who are still trapped by the BKs in some way. They are still confused and making the excuses for the BKWSU, excuses or yuktis which they were taught by the BKWSU.

Physically, perhaps you have "left the BKWSU". You don't go to class any more. You don't work for free* at the Brahma Kumaris' business. Consciously you don't believe in the 5,000 Year cycle or that the spirit entities of the BKWSU are God, or possibly that they do not even exist, but somehow are you still sub-consciously trapped in some way?

Is, perhaps, the fear of Destruction still holding you? Or the "what if" factor? Or perhaps the BKs are the only friends and family you know have and life outside of the BKWSU is just too lonely? Is it too difficult to give up two sets of friends and family or too embarrassing to admit and explain what you have been doing with your life for all those years?

We have learned the *FACTS* about Brahma Kumarism now.

We learned about how they have invented their history, their god, re-written their Murlis.
    We learned about how their "God" has predicted the End of the World many times and it did not happen (... and how the leaders have hidden this).
    We learned about how the so called "God" and "Father of all Humanity", Ocean of Knowledges, did not even know how many "children" they have or what the human population is (... and how the leaders have hidden and re-written this).
    We thought about so many of the history contradictions and scientific impossibilities of The Knowledge.
You have decided it all cannot be true and wonder how on earth we got sucked into it all ... and yet does the conditioning still exist deep inside you in the forms of fears, inhibitions, perhaps even self-defeating tendencies?

ex-l

ex-BK

Re: Are you a carrier? Is the BKWSU really out of you?

Post30 Mar 2012

I often wonder about all those demi-BKs, as I call them. The ones that have basically left the BKWSU, reinvented themselves (again) as coaches or running spin off business, even those that have started having sexual and emotional relationships again ... and yet, in some way, they are still bound to, support or defend the BKWSU. Sometimes they justify it by making up "new, improved" explanations for The Knowledge or experiences of mediation.

They are often highly intelligent, well educated and talented. How can they believe dinosaurs existed 2,500 years ago or that the Universe rewinds every 5,000 years with every molecule and all the light in the Universe travelling backwards to an identical starting point? They even know "God" and The Knowledge, from the Murlis and classes, condemns their current lifestyle and that they are doomed to "failure" by them.

What still binds them to the BKWSU? How have the Brahma Kumaris managed to get under their skin so much?

If it has happened because of all the repetition and hypnotic suggestion ... how does one get it out, and how does one know it is completely out?

And even if it is out, what sub-conscious scars does it leave behind, how long do they take to heal? Are we left like robots, or walking BK bombs, programmed to go off and start doing service again? (One of the often repeated BK memes is that all souls taking The 7 Day Course are BK souls, albeit of varying castes, and all must come back before the End of Time).

I am also thinking as well it is not just the mental scars that are left behind but also the losses of life experiences, the years that push ex-BKs out of their normal society.

I do not have any answer right now. I cannot see it as being a "positive" experience in anyway except that, like having a tropical disease or virus, one then develops the anti-bodies to protect yourself against similar diseases in the future ... if the disease does not kill you first!

(* Of course, the big joke about the Brahma Kumaris' business is that you do not just do "free labor" (work for nothing) but you actually have to PAY MONEY to work for nothing at the BKWSU too!!! You are expected to workf or free to build up their empire AND donate your money and property too.)

starchild

ex-BK

Post31 Mar 2012

This is a really important. I would go so far as to say core issue. It is also directly pertinent to the other thread that is most active on this site at the moment. We have touched upon the lingering effects that remain with us many times. I feel it is very important factor, and now may be a good time to explore it in depth and fully. On examining myself, I see that I am gradually undoing the psychological and psychic influences. I was one of the genuine "saps" who believed that I had found truth, God etc. There were many (one a relative of mine) who told me I had gotten "far" too involved. She (her own words) just took what she wanted and left the rest. There were (and probably still are) many BKs who took this approach. I believe it is these people who you refer to as demi-bks who can continue their connections with BKs while going on to use what they "take" to make careers from.

We also have had discussions on ultimate truth etc.

Because it either is God and The Truth or its not. I found then (as I still believe now), the a la carte BKism to be deeply cynical and hypocritical. I also think it's the only way they can keep the thing going. They need more than anything else, punters who are prepared to accept double standards and lies so they can keep sucking (I use this word purposely) the spiritual energy out of others.

I also believe that the meditation, way of life and teachings of the BKs, when followed, is an insidious way of hooking into the soul and psyche of individuals and as I said, I believe it needs to be fully explored.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post02 Apr 2012

starchild wrote:This is a really important. I would go so far as to say core issue.

Thank you. I believe it is too. Like someone else wrote, "you can take the individual out of the BKWSU, but can you take the BKWSU out of the individual?" I likened BKism to a virus that passes from one person to the next. Obviously, it is not a literal virus but it is a metaphorical virus ... or a meme. It needs "infected" human carriers in order to spread, and ... like other cults ... it needs to be highly virulent especially because it bans individuals from breeding naturally (the natural way for religions or cultures to spread).

A meme, they say, is "an idea, behaviour or style which spreads from person to person within a culture". A meme's reproductive success depends on its ability to variate, mutate, compete and inherit capacities from its hosts, either on an individual or a cultural level. Just like viruses, memes which replicate most effectively enjoy more success, even when they prove to be detrimental to the welfare of their hosts.

You can see how this immediately applies to the meme of Brahma Kumarism. It picks up and takes on new looks, new words or concepts ... new disguises[i] ... in an almost chamelon-like fashion. Each time it tries a new yukti out, and it is successful, it incorporates it into the religion ... even when it is hypocritical to the stated philosophy.
I was one of the genuine "saps" who believed that I had found truth, God etc. There were many ... who told me I had gotten "far" too involved. She ... just took what she wanted and left the rest. There were ... many BKs who took this approach. I believe it is these people who you refer to as demi-bks who can continue their connections with BKs while going on to use what they "take" to make careers from.

In a strange way, in order for them to do, I feel that from a "spiritual" point of view, they must must be a little unconscious and a little egotistical. In a sense, a failure or lower level from the strictly BK point of view ... which is why it is strange for me that the BKs look up to these people.

Perhaps I need to review that my "spiritual point of view" is and it was the failure in the code of my imagination of what "spirituality" is that caused me to be sucked into being abused by the BKWSU.

Of course, from a worldly point of view, the demi-BKs' strategy is more successful and sensible. I just think that if it is an option for a few, it should be taught to all whereas the BKs system is one that will exploit as many people for as long as possible.

This is what I think must have happened with the Mike Georges and Brian Bacon's of the BK world. They must have realised that it was just a business-religion ... [i]and based entirely on the self-claimed autocracy of a few
... and so took their own power back and started investing in themselves and their own business/religion. They took the lessons they learned within the intense BK madhouse and applied them to similar situations in the outside world.

And why not? The BKs are not going to look after you when you are old and sick, so you may as well look after yourself. The spirit of the BKs has basically robbed every other religion of their symbols and ideas, so why not rob them back? Now that we have uncovered their game ... of threatening the End of the World whilst collecting money and property then changing the predictions and philosophy when they fail ... it would be a fool's game to follow them and throw your life away on them.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post02 Apr 2012

the a la carte BKism [is] deeply cynical and hypocritical. I also think it's the only way they can keep the thing going. They need more than anything else, punters who are prepared to accept double standards and lies so they can keep sucking ... the spiritual energy out of others.

I, personally, first joined the BKs when I was very young, naive and inexperienced. Looking back, I can honestly say I had not a clue and I got ripped off as much as if I had walked into a medieval Sindi bazaar.

We were told to believe that the BK leaders could "see our souls" and were mystically empowered with whispers coming direct from God to deliver essential wisdom to guide our lives. What a joke! Even the lower or middle management like centers in charge or Maureen Goodman believe God himself was touching and guiding her every other word.

Now I think they were just sussing us out, like a stall holder in an India bazaar would, for what we were worth to them, how much they could get out of us ... and if an individual were too much trouble, i.e. costly, they would be sidelined and dumped, or (metaphorically) stabbed in a dark corner and left to die. They same as they do to VIPs.

My concern is that the BKs also teach bad habits as well as good, the most obvious being deceit, and the ability to delude the self.
I also believe that the meditation, way of life and teachings of the BKs, when followed, is an insidious way of hooking into the soul and psyche of individuals and as I said, I believe it needs to be fully explored.

And this too is another essence. What is the addictive chemistry or psychism that hooks some individuals in but not others.

I'll always admit that one is able to have "potent", trippy, weird and wonderful experiences following Brahma Kumarism. Moreso than other religions. I just question the value and 'spiritual purity' of them. I think it is false to call them "powerful", suggesting something good or value. I think they are more "potent", like a drug. Intoxicating as they say.

This is why I am critical of BK mediation being passed off as "healing". Until we know, and until we have the statistics, we should not say. And how can we 'know' about something so wrapped up with spooks and psychicism?

How can we safely recommend or encourage to others to get involved with concepts and experiences inherently wrapped up with spookery and psychicism?
BKWSU wrote:Feeling blue ... down in the dumps ... lack confidence or self-esteem ... career going badly?

Why, what you need is to be possessed by our god spirit and start feeding him time, money and energy! You too could become a BK center-in-charge with our special 21 lifetimes retirement plan ... for a limited time only.

starchild

ex-BK

Post08 Apr 2012

I think you may be on to something with the meme theory. I went a while ago to a hypnotherapist and he explained that with my permission he was accessing my subconscious to put the suggestion I requested there.

Is that what the BKs do? And there is also the question of collective unconscious and group or crowd hysteria. I think that the effect and workings of BK meditation are a mixture of these, and perhaps other factors.

Of course, it is not practiced openly as with the hypnotherapist and, ultimately, it can create confusion and distress for many.

marley

Post12 Apr 2012

I am very thankful for this topic coming up as I myself pakkha and complety involveld for about 10 years needed 3 years to feel to be be free from my BKism. By now I can see my potential in me who I came up with living Shrimat.

This forum helped me loads and still does. Sending love and peace to Brothers and Sisters with many thanks!!!!!!!

shanti

spiritual seeker

Post14 Apr 2012

Is the BKSWU really out of me? I cant answer that, however, I can say that I am able to let go more and more as I come to release the fear surrounding my departure. After I left, I remained alone listening to my inner critic for many years and nearly went mad until I became courageous enough to study and research, challenge and question the soundness of beliefs that made me feel a victim. I am inspired by the saying “when you solve a mystery, you destroy its power over you”. As a result, I have gradually come to view Raja Yoga as a necessary stepping stone rather than the enemy.

The Raja Yoga experience showed me clearly how I was prepared to compromise myself in order to seek a better life. I realise that I gave all my power to Raja Yoga because that’s the space I was in; vulnerable, insecure and looking outside myself for answers. Raja Yoga was a great coat hanger for my beliefs. No longer did I need to search, struggle or suffer to know who I was. It was all there on a golden platter as long as I towed the party line. However, the result for me was rather than closeness to God, I felt a growth in spiritual ego, judgemental attitude and fear; powerful negative controlling forces.

Everyone is different and not all those in Raja Yoga have a cult experience however there is a fine line between controlling families and cults which indicates that many of us carry the ‘need’ for a cult experience within us. Looking back I can see how I was definitely looking for a pseudo dysfunctional family because that's what I was familiar with! In his book, “If you had controlling parents” Dan Neuhuarth writes; "many controlling families share essential characteristics with cult indoctrination and thought reform ... In a process that is remarkably similar from cult to cult, recruitment and indoctrination of cult members works by manipulating feelings, behaviour, thinking, relationships and identity."

Reading this book got me thinking about how we seek to be a victim until we outgrow the need to be controlled.

Return to Abuse & Recovery