Damage Limitation - BKWSU child abuse related

for concern over cult-related damage, institutional abuse & psychological problems.

ex-l

ex-BK

Damage Limitation - BKWSU child abuse related

Post09 Sep 2006

FYI.

As an example and a little loss of innocence, perhaps, this is an indication of the changes your work brought about, eromain;

BKWSU wrote:Who Am I: The Mystery, the Discovery, the Joy

8th INTERNATIONAL Youth Forum 2003 - Gyan Sarovar

Thursday 25th December - Tuesday 30th December 2003 Please sign and fax this form to IYF London Office (For all youth aged under 18/21)

I/We ___________________ Name
________________________ Address

being the parent(s)/guardian(s) of the child/children named

Agree to them attending the INTERNATIONAL Youth Forum at the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University, Gyan Sarovar Academy for a Better World, Salgaon, Mount Abu 307501, India. During the period of the Youth Forum, and travel to and from it, we understand and accept that the Organisers and the Management of the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University will take all reasonable care but do not accept any responsibility for any accident, injury or any loss of any personal property and possessions or any damage in person, in kind or any type.

I/We can confirm that I/we will/will not* be accompanying my/our child/children to the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University, Mount Abu and I/we will be staying with the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University, Mount Abu for the duration of my/our child/children's stay with the Brahma Kumaris, Mount Abu.

I/We authorise a responsible person of /or designated by the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University to act in Loco Parentis if my/our child/children need to be taken to hospital or a doctor when I/we are not present.

I/we the parent(s)/guardian(s) undersigned fully accept responsibility for any accident or damage or injury caused by my child/children to any person or the property or possessions of any person whatsoever during the time of their visit or travel to and from the INTERNATIONAL Youth Forum at the Gyan Sarovar Academy for a Better World. Please note that neither Gyan Sarovar Academy for a Better World, Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University nor any other Brahma Kumaris entity is insured in any manner for or in relation to the care or well-being of any child/children or the property thereof on or in transit to or from its premises.

I/we understand and accept that it is our own responsibility to take out my/our own insurance for the duration of my/our child/children's stay at and travel to and from Gyan Sarovar. * As I/we will not be accompanying my/our child/children to the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University, Mount Abu I/we authorise ___________________ to act as guardian of my/our child/children on my/our behalf for the duration of my/our child/children's stay with the Brahma Kumaris, Mount Abu.

Please sign: .... Parent or Guardian

dated: ......

zhuk

non-BK

Post12 Sep 2006

Long overdue and welcome ... eromain's years of persistence bears fruit indeed! :D

Of course, without this kind of policy, the possible lawsuits and resultant bad publicity would be altogether too unpalatable.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post14 Sep 2006

zhuk wrote:Long overdue and welcome ... eromain's years of persistence bears fruit indeed! :D.

Of course, without this kind of policy, the possible lawsuits and resultant bad publicity would be altogether too unpalatable.

Actually, in my opinion it is kind of the opposite. Rather it is a legal disclaimer that says that the BKWSU is not legally responsible for anything that happens to you, your kid or your belongings and they are making you sign away any claim against them in order to attended. The same kind of agreement the sofware manufacturers make you click "OK" before you install the software that screws up your computer and erases all your personal data ... [sounds familar?] .

I soon expect them to do just the same thing before they offer to teach you Yoga with Shiva. "Do you want to meet God? Sign here ... ". It is not the same as accepting "Duty of Care", it is the opposite. Self-protection for them.

I suppose this is legally binding ... one for a lawyer to look at. Complicated by the fact of what is a BK? An unpaid employee ... a student at a university ... a volunteer ... a patient ... each of those relationships have different legal bases. It strikes me that to them, a BK is a different thing to a street level, front line individual who thinks they are a BK. May be to be an "official BK" you have to have a REALLY BIG Badge now. Even the old golden Shiv Shakti ones don't count any more.

Soon you won't be able to meet God without having your lawyer check the contract first. Who wrote recently on the forum that, " Baba is the solicitor of solicitors?" Rather than "make things easier", I read that to be "tricky as hell and institutionally dishonest". But may be my experience of lawyers is worse than their's ...

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post22 Sep 2006

I was at a teachers' meeting in Oxford where it was openly said that we had to do something to stop any possible association of the BKWSU with child abuse ... it actually said that on the memo passed around ... someone pointed out that even that piece of paper could be read as incriminating.

Of course, none of the teachers were told that something had actually happened!!!!!! I only found out when I was in the process of leaving ... this was probably the time when the pressure was being applied to them.

eromain

ex-BK

Post26 Sep 2006

I have to say that I have not (yet) seen any evidence that my efforts did anything to help the vulnerable and the young, but certainly a lot of evidence that the organisation will protect itself from any comeback. And it will certainly do this even in ways that excacerbate the pain it has caused children.

eromain

Return to Abuse & Recovery