Lingering Trauma of Child Abuse

for concern over cult-related damage, institutional abuse & psychological problems.

enlightened

ex-BK

Lingering Trauma of Child Abuse

Post04 Jul 2013

Just posting an article on this subject

Somatic Psychology: The Lingering Trauma of Child Abuse by Susanne Babbel, Ph.D., M.F.T. in Somatic Psychology.
Child abuse can cause psychological ramifications for many years.

Mr Green

ex-BK

Re: Lingering Trauma of Child Abuse

Post05 Jul 2013

Makes me angry, I am a Father and these are the worst evils in my opinion

Pink Panther

Post05 Jul 2013

A BK I know, a close friend, who was seriously traumatised at age 12, went to a physiotherapist, who also did kinesiology, for an injured hip.

There are different kinds of kinesiology, some only deal with the physiology that presents, some more into the somatic psychology, others can be a bit metaphysical "New Age" divinisation types.

I was in the room and witnessed this therapist, who seemed to practice a blend of all of the above, in the course of the treatment, suggest quite specifically that there had been a major trauma experienced at age 12! This chap was amazing, went on to relate a full emotional-cum-medical history that had been "written" into, and shaped, the physiology of this person, much of which contributed to their current condition.

In terms of modalities, one needs to be clear about what is suitable and efficacious for a condition but, in the end, it is a person that one is being treated by, the modality they practice is a vehicle from which they apply themselves. Good healers, whether medical doctors, physios, whatever, are rounded individuals who know the place of their modality in the larger art of healing, that is, they know the possibilities and limitations of their knowledge.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post05 Jul 2013

That actually might be a very good line of question to ask any potential therapist ... what cannot you do, where haven't you be successful, what cannot you treat etc.

Therapeutic skills are easy to talk up and exaggerate as they are so difficult to prove or disprove and so you are also looking for an honest individuals to, e.g. I once went looking for an acupuncturist until I met an old school Chinese doctor who was trained in TCM and Western medicine and admitted that for the most part acupuncture was not the best place to start and was slow to act, it was more of a business model for the individual. They gave examples of cases which were better dealt with herbs or going straight to a Western doctor/hospital.

I felt I could trust them a lot more than someone whose business was selling acupuncture ... and, yes, I had been ripped off once in my young age by someone doing electronic acupuncture who was literally reading it out of a book as they did it.

Ideally, you should need the therapist more than they need you!

Return to Abuse & Recovery