Prolonged Exposure Therapy works

for concern over cult-related damage, institutional abuse & psychological problems.

ex-l

ex-BK

Prolonged Exposure Therapy works

Post28 Dec 2013

Prolonged exposure therapy is a form of behavior therapy and cognitive behavioral therapy designed to treat post-traumatic stress disorder, characterized by re-experiencing the traumatic event through remembering it and engaging with, rather than avoiding reminders of the trauma (also known as triggers). It's been proven to be a highly efficacious treatment for related depression, anxiety, and anger.

Memories and triggers that are reminders of the trauma are address through,
    a) imaginal exposure, revisiting the traumatic memory, repeated recounting it aloud, and processing the revisiting experience; and
    b) in vivo exposure, the repeated confrontation with situations and objects that cause distress but are not inherently dangerous.
The goal of the treatment is to promote processing of the trauma memory and to reduce distress and avoidance evoked by the trauma reminders. Additionally, individuals with emotional numbing and depression are encouraged to engage in enjoyable activities, even if these activities do not cause fear or anxiety but have dropped out the person's life due to loss of interest.

Whilst being used mainly for Post Traumatic Stress Disorders, I wonder how it applies to damage caused by cult adherence? Especially given that therapy for cult exiters or survivors is so limited. I suppose that might depend on whether one's engage into the cult was smooth or traumatic, i.e. whether it included any experiences that broke you or caused you and your relationships with non-cult others lasting trauma, and what feelings the BKs arouse in you. And what happened to you within the cult.

To take an extreme example, a recent study of rape victims as young as 13 - slightly older than the child sex abuse victims within the BKWSU - were helped to relive their harrowing assault over and over again using the therapy and it showed that it works surprisingly well at eliminating their psychological distress. It is also used to help combat veterans haunted by flashbacks and nightmares.

After exposure therapy, 83% no longer had a diagnosis of post-traumatic stress disorder. They fared much better than girls who got only supportive counseling — 54% in that group no longer had PTSD after treatment.
It’s common to think that offering just comforting words and encouraging traumatized youngsters to forget their ordeals is protecting them, but that’s “not doing them any favors,” said University of Pennsylvania psychologist Edna Foa, the lead author. She said that approach can be harmful because it lets symptoms fester.

Foa developed a two-part treatment known as prolonged exposure therapy and has studied its use in treating post-traumatic stress disorder. It involves having patients repeatedly tell their awful stories, and then visit safe places that remind them of the trauma, or take part in safe activities they’d avoided because of painful reminders.

“Many are actually relieved that somebody wants to hear their story,” Foa said.

Her new study was published in the Journal of the American Medical Association. Its editors pointed out that many therapists were reluctant to try the treatment because of concerns that it might worsen symptoms, but that the study raised awareness of the benefits, and "should allay therapist concerns about any potential harmful effects of exposure."

In the study, at first most victims were very upset talking about what had happened. But by telling and re-telling their trauma, they gained a new perspective of what happened. Foa said, “They get used to thinking and talking about the memory and realizing that it was in the past, that it’s not in the present anymore. Eventually, the story becomes remote and they get closure”. Benefits of the prolonged exposure therapy lasted throughout a one-year follow-up.

I am thinking that that is part of what we offer here and if the BKs don't like it, then screw them. Their leaders are now proven to be
    deeply dishonest, manipulative parasites,
    carrying out and permitting numerous illegal acts worldwide,
    allowing a chosen few to carry out gross hypocrisies according to their own teachings,
    covering up and protecting abusers, and
    who depend upon and enculturate an unquestioning and submissive gullibility and almost moronic stupidity in their followers.
That's not "Godly" nor even "spiritual".

And whereas life may well be very pleasant for those "courtiers" to the inner circle elite, and in the wealthy and privileged "spiritual suburbs" of BK Land, at its core the religion is fuelled by the exploitation and abuse of young and well meaning individuals, the destruction of countless families, and the usurping of others land, property and wealth under apparently false pretences.
    Me, bitter? No.
    Hard hitting critic based on well founded facts? Yes.
Stop all abuse and you stop all criticism. Anyone that's been hurt or had their lives wasted, please speak out to protect others from the same experiences.

Pink Panther

Re: Prolonged Exposure Therapy works

Post28 Dec 2013

A friend of mine, now retired, was one of the first practitioners for this type of therapy here. He told me one example of his work, dealing with bank staff who’d been threatened at gunpoint during robberies, traumatised to the point of being unemployable.

Part of the therapy was taken them in a car and parking in sight of and as close to the scene of the crime as they could tolerate, sitting there looking and having a discussion. Each time they’d go a little closer, until they were ready to go inside and talk to their colleagues etc. Then when they felt ready, they’d go back to work. It broke the association between the place and the "unusual" event.

Taken up from indigenous practices and brought into the mainstream here, there are now post-conviction round table discussions held between criminals and victims, both sides hearing each others’ stories, making real the causes and the effects of the event for them (it’s easy to dismiss the "other" and listen to one’s own assumptions, emotions, justifications, continually when it’s all kept distant).

I have heard stories of victims finding ability to understand what motivated the crime, to forgive and move on, some victims establish a relationship with the criminal whilst he’s serving time in gaol and even support them on release. Criminals realise the impact of their actions and are less likely to reoffend, some even seek out redeeming social activities and work upon their release.

Hmm, is that what I am doing here?

Return to Abuse & Recovery