What is the need in humans for a spiritual dimension?

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.

ex-l

ex-BK

What is the need in humans for a spiritual dimension?

Post01 Oct 2010

starchild wrote:I am a questioner. And I was a questioner during my time in the BKs, although the longer I was in it the more I accepted the fudging. I think that happens when you get so caught up in the day to day intensity of the lifestyle.

If we are coming from the supposition that there is a spiritual dimension, then this would be an eternally unjust system that we are caught up in. I asked what is the starting point of karma. The answer from the BKs was that it is just in some peoples fortunes. Even the lowliest BK is apparently higher on the spiritual ladder than Buddha or Christ. And your fortune is your fortune, fixed forever. One wonders what all the fuss and stress is about.

I am interested in the question, 'what is the spiritual need in humans for a spiritual dimension/nourishment?' Is that not what brought many of us to the BK meditation?

Speaking personally, I do not think for me it was a spiritual need ... unless it was something sub-conscious. I was doing Hatha Yoga and Tai Chi, enjoying them and progressing. What I bought was the idea that Raja Yoga was the next, toughest, highest step and I got conned that the Brahma Kumaris were teaching Raja Yoga. They are not. I suspect more than a few young yogi types were conned by the use of the name too.

For how many was there a need, for how many a "spiritual quest" ... and what would happen if, e.g. you brought a kid up to believe they were not missing anything and they did not need anything. How much of those "spiritual needs" were preprogrammed through religion, e.g. "original sin" in Christianity.

I would guess that for many the attraction was more social. They sought a social circle of gentle people who talked about cosmic things. And I guess that is why many hang on for a long time after their faith evaporated ... if they even had faith to begin with. Non-BK, Dr John Walliss's book on the Brahma Kumaris covers a bit of this and is worth reading if you can find it in a library.

Now, I just accept all those feelings the BKs label as negative as normal, part of being human, and get on with life.

Return to Anything goes