Most distant galaxy ever detected

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.

ex-l

ex-BK

Most distant galaxy ever detected

Post23 Aug 2011

Scientists report the most distant galaxy ever detected, light from which has taken more than 13 billion years to arrive at planet earth as measured. They used a highly powered spectrograph which was able to pick apart the weak infrared light and establish the degree to which it had been stretched on its long journey through space and time by the expansion of the Universe. This measure, known as "redshift", is what allows the astronomers to confirm the galaxy was more than 13 billion light-years distant (i.e. it had a redshift of 8.55).

Light travels as a constant speed and light-years are the distance light can travel in one calendar year, equal to just under 10 trillion kilometres or about 6 trillion miles.

The Brahma Kumaris Spiritual University claims that the Universe is just 5,000 exact years old and repeats identically every 5,000 years. No explanation has ever been given as to how a 5,000 year segment of light can return identically to its place of origin during the period they call "Destruction" and before the start of the new world in order to be in the identical place same time next Kalpa.
BBC wrote:A tiny faint dot in a Hubble picture has been confirmed as the most distant galaxy ever detected in the Universe. This collection of stars is so far away its light has taken more than 13 billion years to arrive at Earth.

Astronomers used the Very Large Telescope in Chile to follow up the Hubble observation and make the necessary detailed measurements. They tell the journal Nature that we are seeing the galaxy as it was just 600 million years after the Big Bang. Scientists are very keen to probe these great distances because they will learn how the early Universe evolved, and that will help them explain why the cosmos looks the way it does now.

Mr Green

ex-BK

Re: Most distant galaxy ever detected

Post23 Aug 2011

the Very Large Telescope is a bit of a daft name for a big telescope

dids

ex-BK

Post26 Aug 2011

ex-l wrote: The Brahma Kumaris Spiritual University claims that the Universe is just 5,000 exact years old and repeats identically every 5,000 years. No explanation has ever been given as to how light returns identically to its original source during the period they call "Destruction" before the start of the new world.

No explanation because it's unexplainable nonsense. It would entail throwing everything we know about physics and starting again. I love the scientific method because its inherently humble and self correcting in the face of evidence. And Brahma Baba used to say 'the arrogance of science'. Yet he could stand up and say the universe is 5000 years old blah blah ... without a shred of evidence or explanation of his little cosmology ... now THAT is arrogant ... and typical of religions and New Age thinking.

The only evidence offered up for The Cycle, that I remember, was the experience of 'deja vu' ... kind of embarrassing now when I think about the amount of confirmation biased I must have used to swallow that one ...

ex-l

ex-BK

Post27 Aug 2011

To spell this out, philosophically the Brahma Kumaris cannot believe that star can be billions of light years away ... so what explanation can they give for this and how do the mechanics work of reversing a stream of light which has come from a star or galaxy billion of years away?

There are between 10 sextillion and 1 septillion stars in the Universe which are streaming light out. A septillion is 1,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (USA). Do they and all of the light coming from them just magically re-wind back into place at the start of each Kalpa ... but how did it get to that point 5,000 years when it took billions of light years to get there? It cannot just appear in the darkness of space from nowhere!?!

Think about or own star ... the sun. How does it recharge itself of the 5,000 Years of energy it has spent burning?
dids wrote:The only evidence offered up for The Cycle, that I remember, was the experience of 'deja vu' ... kind of embarrassing now when I think about the amount of confirmation biased I must have used to swallow that one ...

Dids,

in truth I don't think any Western BKs can or do believe in the 5,000 Years exact number ... how could they? When was anything in nature to precisely exact?

What is interesting is just how drugged on on brain chemicals or hypnotised one needs to be before one lets go of all rationality of mind. And the answer is not very much at all. I suspect we were all sucked in by the spaced out experiences and weird and wonderful psychicism that was going on. The question then would be to ask, how much effort does it take to produce that? I suspect the answer again is not very much.

What can it be ... just a simple, random mind plug to stop people thinking? How many people are satisfied with any old answer to stop them suffer the pain and exercise of having to think and question. Quite a few it seems.

This millions of light years is another example we use to make BKs stop and question ... but I don't think it works as well as, say, the dinosaur question because few people can imagine the distance light-years measure. It is an amazing distance ... imagine, travelling 13 billion years before it gets to us ... being able to watch something that happened a billion years ago.

What answer does God have for where the light of stars comes from?
Mr Green wrote:the Very Large Telescope is a bit of a daft name for a big telescope

Apparently the second biggest telescope is called the Not Quite So Large Telescope and the Indians don't need such "Pomp of Science" as they have a 500 year old yogi who is able to leave his body at will and is able to travel to distant cosmoses in person to inspect them!

Return to Anything goes