Low-caste Hindus adopt new faith

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.

bansy

Low-caste Hindus adopt new faith

Post14 Oct 2006

Interesting topic news today

See http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6050408.stm

What's the news coverage of this like in India ?

ex-l

ex-BK

Re: Low-caste Hindus adopt new faith

Post14 Oct 2006

bansy wrote:What's the news coverage of this like in India ?

"Could we have Buddists to the right and Christians to the left ... form an orderly queue please ... crosses can be purchased at the exit to the West, miniture Stupas to the East ... Thank you very much ladies and gentlemen!" ???

The Varna and Jati caste systems are horrendously injust and much more complex than we are taught as BK Brahmins. Any escape route is to be celebrated. Indeed, the BKWSU is, arguably, also involved in such liberation ALTHOUGH I would like to see the figures and hear the experiences of low caste BKs before I was convinced that the BKWSU was free of it. The division between high caste white BKs and low caste Brown and Black BKs is clear. The Dadis and Dadis seem to see themselves above both. Individuals of different classes approaching the BKWSU are treated differently, e.g. Whites and rich Indians being treated with preference, some working class white BKs voice sentiments of division but I am sure this is merely for "practical reasons" when it comes to service.

I understand the real concept behind the caste system was that individuals found their happy role in society by tendancy and not birth status, e.g. if a Brahmin child was rudimentary intellectual or spiritually, it would become a Shudra NOT inherit the family priesthood business. Likewise, is a child of a Shudra was trully spiritual, then they could become a Brahmin. This could not happen in Orthodox Hindu societies.

Such work is not new and the highest respects must be paid to B.R. Ambedkar, a Buddhist, who not only did such work for many years but also helped write the caste system out of the Indian legal system. An Untouchable, he went on to found the "Indian Buddhist Movement" and became the architect of India's constitution writing out the legally protected caste system. He tried to do the same for women's rights later but was stalled by the Government.

This mode of conversion to escape social or political constraints or find new advantages is not new. About 95% of the Jews in the West, the Ashkenazis, are the descendants of an involuntary political conversion to Judiasm in the Khazak region. I suppose the BKWSU opinion is, "tough karma" ... but I would really appreciate an India-India BK's opinion. Those BKs that have come to the West via East Africa and have been assimilated into the West are just as foreign and have a different experience.

bansy

Post14 Oct 2006

This Indian Buddhist Movement is a somewhat interesting concept in that it plunges the followers into throwing away all their beliefs of Gods they've had, after all if you are right down The Ladder, you'll probably be cursing God for who and where you are, so it is so simpler to believe in "nothingness" or "void" or "kong" as Buddhists. In a sense, in one swipe throws away all previous identity (of being an Untouchable).

And it is totally against anything to do with Hinduism, and have any rituals or ceremonies performed by Brahmin priests.

One thing I would like to hear from our Indian Sisters and Brothers is how does one recognise someone else, physically and spiritually, is of one caste to another. Before two young couples go on a date, do they have to ask each other what caste or gotra they are in before they court ? Or do such similar questions get asked at a job interview, or during a university entrance interview, etc ?

worldpeace, are you out there ?

ex-l

ex-BK

Post14 Oct 2006

bansy wrote:This Indian Buddhist Movement is a somewhat interesting concept in that it plunges the followers into throwing away all their beliefs of Gods they've had ..

I used to think it was sort of funny that some Vaishnavites, Krishna worshippers, took the partyline that the Buddha was an incarnation of Vishnu/Krishna come back to trick the aetheists into following God.

This is what that refers to, that and throwing out all superstitions.

Now, I realise how coercive it was into sustaining the power of the Brahmins over the Shudras and underclasses.

Return to Anything goes