BK & Aum Shinrikyo?

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.

captporridge

non-BK

BK & Aum Shinrikyo?

Post27 Apr 2007

Hi,

Reading about BK's doomsday prophecies and promises of a heavenly post-apocalyptic world, I am reminded of the sarin gas attacks commited by the Aum Shinrikyo cult in Japan. Members believed their attacks would help bring about the end of the world. Has anyone examined the similarities between BK and Aum doomsday teachings?

It strikes me that BK promises of a better world after the end of this world are chillingly similiar, and of course such promises can make the end of the world desirable for some people. Any thoughts?

I'll do some more research on Aum, I have a good book about them by Robert Lifton. "Destroying The World To Save It". I haven't read it all though, I'll try and get through it this weekend,

Thanks.

ex-l

ex-BK

Re: BK & Aum Shinrikyo?

Post28 Apr 2007

CaptPorridge wrote:Has anyone examined the similarities between BK and Aum doomsday teachings?

It might be worth adding a brief summary. They believe in a supreme deity Shiva and the end of the world. The BK take on that would be (and sorry to repeat myself) the guru received alittle bit of BK knowledge last Cycle and came back this Cycle to teach it, albeit it incorrectly.

The BKs teach that cults, sects and -ism only exist at the end of the 5,000 Year Cycle (of course, they do not, they have existed through known and written 3,000 year plus history) and so the leader would be seen as a new soul, just incarnated, having a Golden Age in the 20th before suffering his quick decline. You get their concept that every one experiences 4 Ages of entropy?

alladin

no label

Transformation

Post28 Apr 2007

As much as I can be against Brahma Kumari organization establishment, methods and some of the rules; let me be their lawyer for a few minutes. The way I understood BK Raja Yoga teachings is that we are, as individuals, committed to transforming ourselves, understanding our negative personality traits (weaknesses and vices) and can change them through knowledge and Yoga (tapping into the benevolent energy of the Supreme Spirit), rediscovering our positivity that was partly unexpressed, removing the alloy, or dust like Buddhist's say from the real gold, or diamond (the core of the soul) liberating ourselves, changing our consciousness, that is thoughts, words and actions (karma).

So, the idea is that destroying negativity on an individual level can have positive effects on society. Destruction will come any way, it will not be total annihilation, but wars and natural catastrophies are already happening. They will eventually increase. I never got the feeling that as BKs we were supposed or taught to invoke that.

I was really concerned about the Planet before Gyan. The idea that it doesn't become totally destroyed, just cyclically get cleaned up, and that Paradise on earth did exist and will exist again because we are contributing to create it starting from ourselves, was very soothing for me. It seemed as a more effective, and less frustrating method, compared to political battles. Wasn't it also said in the '68 movements that personal is political, private is public, so no change can come from above? We are gonna fight them spiritually.

How the BK organization is betraying these ideals, is another issue. The Forum is helping me understand better what's going on in the organzation and soothe my soul from the disappointments.

Love to all and good vibes.

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post28 Apr 2007

There are many BKs who are longing for the end of the world, people like Jayanti are a prime example. They are just itching for everyone to be needlessly killed.

You imagine if you'd led a life like her you'd want out too. They take minor support from the old impure world, they just want out.

BKs also do hold bhattis for Destruction. They do believe it is their yogic connection with the almighty (who apparently cannot do basic arithmatic), that will herald Destruction of this world that is worth "less than the droppings of a crow" and herald the arrival of Lekhraj the nutter on a pipal leaf.

joel

ex-BK

Re: Transformation

Post28 Apr 2007

alladin wrote:So, the idea is that destroying negativity on an individual level can have positive effects on society.

I think the destroying negativity or removing obstacles is a kind of secondary goal, and kind of indirection that the BKs use to justify their activities. Why wouldn't a person go directly for what they want in life. Is it necessary to do a two-step? Why do I have to ask God for what I want?

A person did something for God (Baba) and look at all the skills they developed, the confidence they gained. Baba is teaching them. They are all working to make their lives beautiful. That's what we said.

We found the stick of knowledge was termite-eaten and we walked off with dignity. None of this Ravan's and Maya's clutches. It is amazing that these people are grown up, judging others as arbitrarily as any other religion.

ex-l

ex-BK

Re: Transformation

Post29 Apr 2007

alladin wrote:I never got the feeling that as BKs we were supposed or taught to invoke that.

To quote Om Radhe
Om Radhe wrote:(Talking of World War II) Emanating from this Divine Yagya is the huge conflagration in the form of this world war, hereinafter called the War of Mahabharat ...

From this Divine Yagya emanates the fiercest fire of the last and the greatest war on the Karma-Kshetra (World) - the WAR OF MAHABHARAT - bringing about annihilation of 56 Crores of Science-Proud European Yadvas through International Armaments War and of the 18 Akshyunis (Several Crores) of atheitic, Self-unrealised Bharatvasi Vaishas and Shudras, Kaurvas (Congress), Kansas, Jarasandhis and numerous other devilish organizations aling with their Guides and Preceptors, VIdvans, Acharyas, Pandits, etc., through Civil War in Bharat resulting from religious frenzy and also through various natural calamities.

A few random Murli quote;
In the Sakar Murli it is wrote:You understand that I am establishing the original eternal deity religion through Brahma, and that I inspire the destruction of all religions through Shankar ... The Father has created this sacrificial fire for the flames of Destruction to emerge so that Bharat can become Heaven ... You have many enemies because you yourselves say that the flames of Destruction emerged from this sacrificial fir e of The Knowledge of Rudra.

So, yes, I agree. We were, in my time, told that it was our efforts in Yoga (Shankar Stage) that brought about Destruction. There were other Murlis to the effect that Baba was asking us did we not hear the voices of suffering and did we not want to bring this to an end. All the way through, the responsibility for Destruction has lain with BKs. It was and still is very Millenarianistic at the core; death, death, doom, suffering and destruction ... remember the regretful "tears of blood" from those that did not make efforts, or those making a screaming noise like the "sound of mustard seeds being crushed"?

Would this inspire some BK to go and gas a subway station. No, I do not think so. Beating up PBKs and encouraging folks to cash in their pensions plans and do lots of free work for the Yagya are as far as it goes to date. Has it inspired a lot of crazy "renunciation" and financial benefit to the BKWSU. Yes, of course.

captporridge

non-BK

Post29 Apr 2007

Thanks for sharing.

Sorry I did not mean to suggest I thought BKs would / could do something like the sarin gas attacks, I meant the way the two groups operate, recruiting and control tactics, dogma etc.

And as Mr Green pointed out, when the End of the World becomes associated with a heavenly new existance, the destruction of this world can become a desirable thing. And if we have leaders crazy enough to ask for it, true believers would, as Aum's did, believe they are doing something great by trying to bring about doomsday.

I know at their core all cults are essentially the same, but just from a brief intro to BK these past two weeks, I see more similarities with Aum than other groups I can think of. Especially, all the doomsday stuff, references to Shiva, the use of meditation and Yoga as fronts for recruiting. And here in Korea, if Lee James' lecture is any indication, like Aum, they are specifically targetting professors and by extension, students.

Another interest is that BK Lee James lists counselling ex-Aum cultists on his CV, and I find that to be pretty unbelievable, at least successful counselling anyway.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post29 Apr 2007

CaptPorridge wrote:Sorry I did not mean to suggest I thought BKs would / could do something like the sarin gas attacks, I meant the way the two groups operate, recruiting and control tactics, dogma etc ... And here in Korea, if Lee James' lecture is any indication, like Aum, they are specifically targetting professors and by extension, students. Another interest is that BK Lee James lists counselling ex-Aum cultists on his CV, and I find that to be pretty unbelievable, at least successful counselling anyway.

I think it is a very consideration. Could mass mania spread throughout the BKWSU or a mega events? I would say certainly in India. One saw minor examples of it around Year 2000 when folks were encouraged to empty their bank accounts, buy big food and water containters, stock up on supplies. It used to be Shrimat that centers had to keep 6 months supply of food. Which to my mind worked like a ticking time bomb reminded that ... The End ... The End ... the End is Nigh. I think Millenarianism is a very cheap and deeply corrosive techinique of personality reform and who knows what, given the right or wrong psychology it might do.

I remember there was one incident of one BK Brother stabbing to death another BK Brother in a center. Perhaps someone else could supply details? It was hushed up along with other similar cases, the Sister's body found in a burnt out center in India, a recent suicide/accident in an Australian center etc. Such incidents have never been centrally documented before which is how they can manage manipulate their media.

With regards the attack on education, you are bang on the nail. Like the Scientologists, and you say Aum, the BKs have found Education the soft, white underbelly of society a great and easy way with which to enter and climb. Underfunded, desperate for any inspiration, intellectualy susceptible (it appears that most "cult" members are actually fairly clever, you need a degree of intelligence and ego to be involved).

With regards counselling Aum victims, thank the Devil Ihave a very black sense of humor.. Cynically, I think that it is very funny to the point of ridiculous. We ought to do a 'Big Brother' Milgram Experiment and stick a BK, a Scientologist, a Moonie and an Aum all in the same room and see who converts who, or at least comes out the most alive! That has the making of an excellent comedy sketch. But it underlines two things to me;
    a) the lust for anything that has "media attention" and is "CV worthy" for public-facing, internationally prominent BK. We have discuss their PR spin here before ... by someone that actually used to be involved in "fluffing" up CV (mr green).
    b) the distinct type of schizophrenia that BKs develop in order to be someone on the outside and someone on the inside, e.g. that a BK could well be a full-on, millenarianist cult member and counsel other cult/ex-cult members oblivious to this.
You have not stated whether you were ever a cult member yourself and can understand it from the inside out. As a BK/cult member one develops this separated, secret service type of mentality where you are always being two or more theoretical persons according to the environment, the Brahmin, the lokik (at work), the service instrument (pretending not to be a BK in order to do service for the BKWSU and subtle guide things) and so on.

captporridge

non-BK

Post29 Apr 2007

ex-l wrote:You have not stated whether you were ever a cult member yourself and can understand it from the inside out.

Thanks for the comments ex-l!

No, I was never a member, so although I have a good idea how people get recruited, I don't have the personal experience of going through it.

My interest in cults came from living with someone during recruitment, and we lived near the base of the cult she joined, so I knew lots of other members. I wrote about it here, if you're interested ... The Keimyung Gazette - How to Spot a Woolly Wolf.

Thanks again, I hope to get some more writing down today,

Return to Anything goes