The Saddhu - original memories of Om Mandli and more

for discussing revisions in the history of the Brahma Kumaris and updating information about the organisation

ex-l

ex-BK

The Saddhu - original memories of Om Mandli and more

Post16 Sep 2007

I recently spoke to an educated and professional 'relative' of Lekhraj Kirpalani, an independent individual in close proximaty to the Om Mandli with clear recollection of the happenings of the early days and have a connection to others.

I am slightly convering my sources here because, obviously, the BKWSU are all over my posts right now and I do not want the individuals targeted, nobbled or otherwise prejudiced in a way the BKs work media people and so on. There are certain confidence involved.

All the same, what with the legal proceedings, it is time to move ahead fast and I need other individual's assistance in these matters.

Firstly, their recollections of the Om Mandli gatherings were quite different from the publicised versions. They spoke of Om Mandli as a very secret society targetting mainly women whose husbands were working abroad and at which, during the gatherings, the women would go into and I quote here, "frenzies" and "howl" and utter "howling screams". The individual witnessed this and those were the exact words they used. Quite a different picture from, and not nencessarily exclusive of, the "visions of Golden Age" and dancing with Krishna scenes the BKWSU paints.

The legend was that Lekhraj Kirpalani had met a saddhu during his time in Calcutta and it was this meeting or involvement that had brought about the transformation in him.

Do I take this individual to be a relilable winess? Yes, I very much do. Do I know who this saddhu, his siddhi or his tradition might have been? No, I don't. It is about this that I wondered if anyone else might be able to help with these leads. Many of their other stories correlated with those told broadly by the BKWSU or in the materials produced in Om Radhe's name.

We remember other reports of Lekhraj Kirpalani kind of breaking down and becoming like a child and, likewise of times where he had to be looked after or nursed by Om Radhe. Stuff the BKWSU have not been keen to have discussed. I for one do not believe their version as their elders have been proven not just to make mistakes but falsify it.

Now, what do we make of this? What were these experiences?

In some yogic traditions such as Kundalini, individuals are guided into experiencing "purification" purification or cleansing crises caused by movements of energy through chakras, breaking down blockages etc. These experiences sound very similar to those of charismatic, evangelistic and African Christian churches where individuals are said to be taken or slayed by the spirit, talk in tongue and so on.

They sound quite like the symptoms described during possession, the casting out of spirits or exorcisms and, of course, we know that trance mediumship was much more widespread in the early days than it is now. Similar events still happening from time to time. Likewise, they are also similar to events within other esoteric traditions. In Hindu mythology, the Nagas are "snake-shaped beings who live in the underworlds and are the keepers of mighty powers of consciousness". Saddhus practice Kundalini type practises awaken such powers.

My feelings at present, and these are not in anyway substantiated yet, is that the 12 gurus story, the millenarianism and the monotheistic God within the BKWSU are adoptions from Christian influences, either direct or indirect. We do not yet have any solid indication HOW AND WHEN the Shiva bindi concept entered the Brahma Kumari traditions. It could also be that the BKs have mixed up the story of Lekhraj Kirpalani's life with the story of someone else in the Mandli's life to make him appear more saintly.

Others question Masonic influences on Lekhraj Kirpalani, which I do not know but which would be very easy to check as the Calcutta Lodges in India, at that time, were according to the English Masonic constitutions and good records of membership were kept from the mid-1800s. This to me would not suggest a direct lineage, but a possible setting of the foundations.

The source suggest there was not a connection, neither with the Masons nor the Theosophical society as Lekhraj Kirpalani was of a low class and education and was not part of those worlds.

"12 gurus" sounds very much like 12 disciples and Hinduism does not have a strong millenarianist tendancy. So what? (Joke) My Father is a carpenter and my best friends fishermen but that does not make me Jesus ... to me, this suggestion of a single mysterious saddhu blowing Lekhraj Kirpalani's third eye open and leaving him to deal with it sounds much more likely.

Mysticism, full on sorcery and shamenism, both 'black' and 'white', were and are very common in that part of the world even to this day.
"Nagas are a class of beings (often snake-like in form) that dwell in a variety of locations ranging from waterways and underground locations to unseen realms. These beings have their own perceptions and vary in their enlightened level as do humans and other beings. Nagas are susceptible to suffering created by mankind's carelessness and basic ignorance of proper conduct in nature and disrespectful actions in relation to our environment. Therefore Nagas often retaliate towards humans when they behave in such ignorant manners. The expression of the Nagas' discontent and agitation can be felt as skin diseases, various calamities and so forth.

Additionally, Nagas can bestow various types of wealth, assure fertility of crops and the environment as well as decline these blessings. For this reason the practices have been developed or arise as a natural methods to increase prosperity."

abrahma kumar

friends or family of a BK

Om Mandli as a very secret society targetting mainly women

Post16 Sep 2007

Thanks ex-l. i recall that there is a section from "The Sindh Story" by K. R. Malkani 1984 in which mention is made of the typical circumstances of the women that the Om Mandli 'catered' for. Married, husbands away from home for a major part of the year etc etc. What a brew: Mysticism, full on sorcery and shamenism, both 'black' and 'white' ...

ex-l

ex-BK

Post17 Sep 2007

The men could be away from as long as 3 years. 3 years away, 6 months back would common.

As far as "estrangement" goes, put that on top of an arrange marriage in the first place but ... life was cheap, it was due to circumstances and a trading culture. I don't "blame the men".

arjun

PBK

Post17 Sep 2007

ex-l wrote:The legend was that Lekhraj Kirpalani had met a saddhu during his time in Calcutta and it was this meeting or involvement that had brought about the transformation in him.

Could this one not be the same Bengali Guru that the former Anti-Om Mandali member and now a BK had quoted in the Gyanamrit magazine dated January, 07?
Arjun wrote:It contains two important articles related to the history of the Yagya. One of them is an interview with one Mr. Khushiram Chugani, who was present in Sindh, Pakistan at the time of Om Mandali and used to work in an Urdu daily named 'Fakkar faar'. As per the article, he was a staunch Arya Samaji and was one of those who picketed against Om Mandali.

He used to write many articles against Brahma Baba. He indulged in stone-pelting, etc. BK Harish of Baroda (Mangalwadi) center interviewed this person and the interview has been published in the above magazine. Acc. to the magazine Mr. Khushiram Chugani has been in close contact with BKWSU since the last 20 years and a BK Gitapathshala is running at his home and he listens to Murli twice a day. Khushiram is now 85 years old.

The most important aspect of the interview, from the PBKs point of view, is about the magical surma of Dada Lekhraj's Bengali guru, which he used to dread. He denied having seen any impurity in Om Mandali himself (although he did not enter Om Mandali himself) and used to oppose it based on hearsay.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post17 Sep 2007

arjun wrote:The most important aspect of the interview, from the PBKs point of view, is about the magical surma of Dada Lekhraj's Bengali guru, which he used to dread. He denied having seen any impurity in Om Mandali himself (although he did not enter Om Mandali himself) and used to oppose it based on hearsay.

I think we are onto an important track here.

Despite all the defamation of me elsewhere, my door is open for something good. My instincts, and our collective experiences, tell us that there are also not good or indeed quite nasty elements working through the BKWSU/Yagya as well that individuals are not prepared or protected from.

This 'approximate' picture of a fearsome gurus, an initiation and naga-like spiritual influences, I think, gives us some leads to start with. It might set the scene for a spiritual or psychic war. it might explain Lekhraj Kirpalani's madness and period of collapse.

I do not know of the practises of Bengali Saddhus but I do know that there is channelling or mediumship of "gods" and spirit. Going North, I know that much more magic was practised in Nagaland (somewhat unrelated use of the name) where socery and magic both black and white, including human sacrifice and headhunting, were common until World War II even. It would be good to know more details.

I think rational Western readers or superficial BKs are perhaps unaware of how much of a hold deeply held superstitions and supernatural activities have in India. I will risk my reputation standing out on a limb that the "serpentine nature" of many of activities associated with by elements within the BKWSI, if not sanctioned by the leadership, have their spiritual roots not in Godliness but occult practises.

I think that however badly the ex-BKs and ex-PBKS in the Vishnu Party presented themselves on this forum, they have some element of the truth when they point to the occult nature of some of the BKWSU's practises that are not inline with Shrimat, e.g. offering Bhog could be perceived as "feeding" these spirits.

If it is true, then the organization requires to be exorcised of such influences! Of course, an organization of the nature of the BKWSU WOULD attract such negative influence which would seek to destroy it either from within or without.

Rational individuals can chose to read this metaphorically if they wish, e.g. the "evil spirits" being personal psychologies that have not been worked out, collective denial, suppressed negative impluses etc.

arjun

PBK

Post18 Sep 2007

ex-l wrote:This 'approximate' picture of a fearsome gurus, an initiation and naga-like spiritual influences, I think, gives us some leads to start with. It might set the scene for a spiritual or psychic war. it might explain Lekhraj Kirpalani's madness and period of collapse.

Dear Brother,

Omshanti. This is where we differ from you. Although PBKs believe that Dada Lekhraj Brahma could not understand the depths of knowledge completely, he was definitely not mad. I think it is the usage of such words for Dada Lekhraj which puts off many BKs from participating in this forum. I know that this forum is mainly for the ex-BKs, but, it would be better if such words are avoided in the larger interest of greater participation of BKs in this forum.

The Bengali guru that Khushiram Chugani referred to in his interview could have been Dada Lekhraj's partner, who was senior to him in age and also in experience.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

adikarisoul

ex-BK

Post18 Sep 2007

arjun wrote:Omshanti. This is where we differ from you. Although PBKs believe that Dada Lekhraj Brahma could not understand the depths of knowledge completely, he was definitely not mad. I think it is the usage of such words for Dada Lekhraj which puts off many BKs from participating in this forum. I know that this forum is mainly for the ex-BKs, but, it would be better if such words are avoided in the larger interest of greater participation of BKs in this forum.

Dear Arjun,

In today's world if anyone of us wakes up one day and starts claiming that "he is God", i.e. the Supreme Being" wouldn't he be considered insane or "MAD"??

ex-l has patiently given us several time full evidence (through documents etc.) that that's exactly what happened. Dada Lekraj considered himself and was considered by Mama and all the others who were around at that time as "GOD Shiva". :oops: And I believe that the only reason why many of us ended up becoming BKs is that we did not know about that "SMALL" DETAIL ...

In a good number of my messages, I've also spoken about what I consider the positive aspects of being a BK but I am very firm about this one thing; "The Yagya shouldn't have hidden and shouldn't keep hiding THE TRUTH ...

If they are so sure about "the goodness and truth/righteousness of their knowledge" why do they keep manipulating/changing the Murlis (having been a translator of Murlis and classes for years, I had the chance to notice it many times).

And last but not least; " Why are they scared of this Forum?? Why are they trying to block us??"

The BKs do teach that Truth is self-evident don't they? Then why are Hansa and Co. "taking the law into their hands"? :roll:

With Love and Respect

ADI

ex-l

ex-BK

Post18 Sep 2007

adi wrote:Dada Lekraj considered himself and was considered by Mama and all the others who were around at that time as "GOD Shiva"

I should qualify "madness". I, personally, am not suggesting mental illness. I am suggesting, and the record supports this, that he suffered some kind of psychic or spiritualistic breakdown due the process of what was happening to him. The old self being taken apart and the process or preparation of "possession" (we are a bit lost for any other specific term here) by Shiva. These are called "Psychoreligious" or "psychospiritual" crises.

For the record, Lekhraj Kirpalani and the Om Mandli did not consider himself to be God Shiva. There is no record of Shiva's presence, reference or involvement in the early documents at all. But Lekhraj Kirpalani did go along with himself being Prajapati God Brahma until at least 1949 - WITHOUT ANY REFERENCE TO JYOTI BINDU Shiva BEING PRESENT.

By various accounts, it appears that Lekhraj Kirpalani's family did think he was having breakdown and that he took periods of "rest" away from the family. These are common knowledge. Additional sources for that opinion being his son Narain who, I would hesitate to offer, is not inhibited by the leadership of the BKWSU to the same extent his daughters are.

Such "psychoreligious" or "psychospiritual" crises are not unique on the "path of spirituality" nor within the BK movement. Indeed, within some guru/follower relationships they are technically encouraged to lead the follower to "enlightenment".

The question of whether Narain Shewakram was that Bengali Suddhu arise. Of course, he was Sindhi not Bengali and a businessman not a saddhu ... but, in principle, the changes took place in Calcutta because by 1932 Lekhraj Kirpalani took retirement and moved back to Hyderabad. So we cannot completely discount that Shewakram acted as a medium for another spirit and that this brought about the changes but we do not know.

However, we do not know yet and we are frustrated by
    a) the outright censorship of the BKWSU leadership,
    b) a lack of independent historical evidence and
    c) a lack of will by all parties - Virendra Dev Dixit and the PBKs equally - to investigate this most important period fully. The period on which a world religion has been founded affecting millions of lives.
This is where the claims of ex-BK Dashrath Patel of the Vishnu Party are an interesting parallels. Is he mad to claim he is God? I think if I was to present the early letters in the name of Om Radhe to psychiatrists now, especially all the failed references Destruction and the abuse of other prominent parties, they would come up with a diagnosis of mass neurouses ... and I think that is what was happening. The psychospiritual cause of it is what interests me. And at present the finger points to this mysterious individual or events of that time.

Return to The BKWSU