Traffic Control

for discussing revisions in the history of the Brahma Kumaris and updating information about the organisation

john

reforming BK

Traffic Control

Post07 Oct 2007

Does anyone know when this practice was first introduced and, in fact, was it a direction from ShivaBaba or BapDada, within Sakar Murli or Avyakt Vani?

ex-l

ex-BK

Post08 Oct 2007

I would like to know the same about all the other 'cast in concrete' practises the BKs are told to perform.

From my reading, it seems the early days before the "Islamic invasion", were much more fluid and natural.

When did it become spiritual 'boot camp'?

arjun

PBK

Post09 Oct 2007

Omshanti.

Today, I was reading the latest edition of the Gyanamrit magazine published by the BKs in Hindi in which all the articles are tributes by BKs to Dadi Prakashmani. In her article, Dadi Janaki writes that she was sent by Dadiji and Didiji for foreign service in 1974. She also wrote that Dadi Prakashmani visited them in 1977 and it was Dadi Prakashmani only who gave the hint to start the practice of Traffic Control in London.

From PBK point of view, the practice of remembrance of ShivBaba five times a day with the help of Traffic control songs is the foundation for the practice of offering namaz (prayers) by Muslims five times a day.
Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

jann

friends or family of a BK

Re: Traffic Control

Post20 Jun 2008

It is very annoying to have a BK friend over and his watch gives a sign to traffic control every 7 minutes before the hour. Now that I know what it means.

Terry

ex-BK

Post08 Jan 2009

john wrote:Does anyone know when this practice was first introduced and, in fact, was it a direction from ShivaBaba or BapDada, within Sakar Murli or Avyakt Vani?

Well, I can tell you all exactly what happened. I was there.

The idea came from early UK BK Aidan (and one of the first to become an ex-BK !). It was put forward in a meeting/discussion group in Madhuban season of 76-77, my first visit.

It arose because he felt, and others agreed, that the constant noise of the hustle and bustle of all the people, buses etc during "the season" really took away from the experience people had come for, and that the vibe through the day deteriorated. I later moved to London in June 77, was there for Kumarka's visit, where she said they had decided to continue the practice and recommended it for all to follow.

The mutation of such things into "Sri Mat" and essential routine is inevitable in a competitive status seeking collective. Any new idea becomes. BTW, the times were also worked out within a day of the proposal, and the first traffic control happened the next day. Times had nothing directly to do with Muslim prayer times, just to fit in to Pandav Bhavan routine - so after AV and class, first one is 10:30 then 12:30, then siesta, then 4:30, 7:30 and 9:30. Not sure if the times have changed.

It used to drive me nuts the way the times became more important than the reason to do it. Evening classes, you might have just finished an hours Yoga, discussions just get warmed up, then you stop for 5 minutes again! Or you might begin a task with a minute' s silence, just start getting into the rhythm of it, then Crackle - Hiss - Freeze - Traffic control, and a reaaa-aaly long song so noisy you cannot meditate anyway!

Overall, a good idea, to regularly re-centre yourself, but the only thing you should be dogmatic about is breathing!

Footnote - I am in email contact with aforesaid ex-BK. He is very happily married, beautiful wife and 2 lovely boys, is professionally successful and in good humour.

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post08 Jan 2009

Hahaah, yes, I remember those hissy tapes starting up ... the pre-AV one was the best with that creepy intro!!!!!!!!

I remember sitting bored once in AV at Baba Bhavan and when the music came on, I entertained myself with the thought that Jayanti was in the next room playing the piano heheheh ... that was deep YOG man

(please Admin, I want to use the word y o g rather than Yoga, can you fix it?

Return to The BKWSU