BK hypocrisies and paradoxes: Food issues

for discussing revisions in the history of the Brahma Kumaris and updating information about the organisation

ex-l

ex-BK

Re: BK hypocrisies and paradoxes: Food issues

Post08 Jul 2013

Oliver wrote:BKs often spoke of onions and garlic as the root to anger and salacious behaviour ...

Point of order ... strictly speaking, onions and garlic are not not root vegetables, they're bulbs. ;)

I cannot say that onions and garlic make me horny ... I never needed any artificial stimulants myself ... however, I do think that BKs not eating onions and garlics is a good idea. Can you imagine 20,000 people in one room in Abu all stinking of garlic breath!!!

The BKs are also neither the only ones following such a diet, nor the strictest. It's borrowed from the Vaishnavite religion and is similarly practised by Chinese Buddhists, e.g. the 5 spices or wu hun (onion, garlic, chives, shallot, and leek). I am amazed at how if I have some to eat, I can smell them on my skin the day after.

I tried to follow such a diet before I came into the BKs, now I am not so strict. From experience, I think the idea of onions and garlic causing lust is a very weak one.

pawan_kr

Post08 Jul 2013

BKs say that they eat SATVIK FOOD.

Satvik food means fresh, obtained or cooked without any violence or harm to another, and easily digested.

Fried and Spicy food or hot spices like red pepper, ginger, garlic, etc are considered as hot in nature as they increase blood flow and cause digestion problems like hyper-acidity thus termed as Tamsik. Also fermented foods like Dhokla, Bread, Cakes etc. are considered as Tamsik because it is considered as rotten by bacteria or yeast.

Even tea or coffee are also said to be tamsik as it is not a fresh product and have sedative effect due to caffeine.

But now a days a great REFORM is visible in BK HQ. BKs are shifting from Satvik to Tamsik. People visiting there are served caffeine products like tea and coffee. They serve spicy pickles.

Fried Puris and baked breads have been served from a long time ago, Baba forgot to tell them that these are also tamsik ... :D

Dadis and Didis are fed up now with Rukha-Sukha Bhojan so they cannot control their tastes buds.

I hope we will soon see BKs serving Burgers and Noodles in their HQ ...!!!!

ex-l

ex-BK

Post09 Jul 2013

This is all true pawan. I understand that in India mushrooms are not sattvic either. Neither are, e.g. beans which have been left overnight.

What is "Rukha-Sukha Bhojan" ... "potluck" in English? Do you mean a wide selection of dishes like a thali? There 'superior' BK center-in-charge food?

I suppose BK attitude is, "we know better" and that it does not matter ... a cover for doing what they want. And looking at a lot of the surrendered Sisters, that means eating a lot, e.g. "as long as it is done in Baba's remembrance it will have no bad karma". That is another idea that comes directly from some Vaishnavite sects.

Strictly from a Brahma Kumari point of view, the BKs believe they are right and the Hindu bhagats who believe in sattvic are wrong ... and it was the bhagats got the idea from the BKs 5,000 years ago (not the other way around)!!!

The rules seems to be 90% about conformity. There does not seem to be much consciousness about them.

pawan_kr

Post09 Jul 2013

Rukha- Sukha Bhojan literally means stern and dry food. It is generally termed for bread without ghee or butter and vegetables without any spices or boiled vegetables and no sweet or salty dishes.

This type of food is basically tasteless but is considered BEST food by Saints or spiritual person to conquer one's tongue senses (इन्द्रिय जीत meaning winning over senses).

Generally Saints preach that we should only eat for living and not for satisfying our tongue and making our stomach a garbage bag.

But when I see Dadis and Didis, and their big stomach, it seems that they are very fond of spicy foods and sweet dishes. They do want a SPIRITUAL TAG but cannot resist their TASTE LUST.

Actually if You see the life style of BK Dadis and Didis, you will find that they are not इन्द्रिय जीत (sense winners) but इन्द्रिय गुलाम (sense slaves).

Pink Panther

Post11 Jul 2013

ex-l wrote:the BKs believe they are right and the Hindu bhagats who believe in sattvic are wrong ... and it was the bhagats got the idea from the BKs 5,000 years ago (not the other way around)!!!

Believing that this BK Confluence Age is what sets up the standards for the next cycle and that "Bhakti" is an imperfect memory of it allows the BKs full licence to redefine anything.
Previous

Return to The BKWSU