Beam me up, Scotty: BK Sister Jayanti under a MEG Microscope

for discussing revisions in the history of the Brahma Kumaris and updating information about the organisation

ex-l

ex-BK

Beam me up, Scotty: BK Sister Jayanti under a MEG Microscope

Post22 Aug 2013

For decades the Brahma Kumaris falsified and bragged about non-existent scientific claim that their guru Dadi Janki Kirpalani had "the most stable mind in the world". A joke to those of us who has seen her cry, get the hump or angry, ignore people and treat them like crap.

A journalist finally decided to follow the BKWSO's claims back to the university they were said to have come, and discovered they were never made. In fact, the university did not even know of the department they were said to have emanated from. Outed, the BKWSU in the West had to officially withdraw the claim and inform all centers to stop making it via the Murli noticeboard; while the crass BKWSU India just carried on making the exaggerated claim in their 'could-not-care-less-about-reality-never-mind-accuracy' manner.

Well, 35 years later, senior BK Sister Jayanti Kripalani is under the microscope again and this time it appears they are approaching it a little bit more maturely.

Founded in 1998, the Beckley Foundation's scientific programme initiates, designs and conducts research into the effects of psychoactive substances on the brain, in order to minimise their potential harms, learn more about consciousness and brain function, and discover and explore their therapeutic potential. It is dedicated to improving national and global drug policies, through research that increases understanding of the health, social and fiscal implications of drug policy, and the development of new evidence-based and rational approaches. It is likely the BKs would also be pushing their practise as a replacement for addicts.

It strikes me Jayanti was not exactly being absolutely clear or honest what she was doing and it appears from how it is reported that she rather just fitted into what they wanted or expected of a meditator. Now where did that reference to 5,000 years come from I wonder? Jayanti looks like she is having her brainwashed, or sitting under some 1950s X-Ray Sci-Fi hairdryer. I would disagree with the statement that "Meditative techniques originally came from Asian religious practices". There most certainly were meditative practises elsewhere ... but what do we make of the results?

I am sorry, the science is beyond me ... "The results demonstrated strong desynchronisation over somatosensory, auditory and visual cortices, which seem likely to reflect the reduction in attention to sensory processing. The increases in synchronous gamma activity in the cerebellum was associated with her acute experience of unity and light" ... and I don't think we're going to see it on any BK marketing in the near future. However, they do report significant differences from any other study they have done. (Experiments on Tibetan Buddhist monks have shown a similar correlation, and elicited a very practical response from the Dalai Lama).

Interesting that it also *increased* the heart beats per minute 50%.

Scientists remain unable to prove Sister Jayanti's ability to become pregnant by the power of thought, that time is only 5,000 years long, or that Krishna has been reborn and the Golden Age will start in 2036. It's a shame that they did not try Sister Jayanti on LSD, MDMA, Psilocybin or Cannabis (or a combination of all 4) and find out what the results were afterwards. It might have been very enlightening. The Beckley Foundation examines the curative powers of psychedelic drugs.

I actually think it would be a good thing if the BKs bought one of these toys and used it to check if or which adherents were actually "having an experience".

What do the BKs make of all the activity being in the wrong place?
The Beckley Foundation wrote:A MEG Case Study of (BK) Meditation

DRAMATIC MODULATIONS OF BRAIN ACTIVITY INDUCED DURING MEDITATION: A MEG CASE STUDY

Meditation is both an ancient spiritual practice as well as a contemporary technique for relaxing the body and calming the mind. It is recognized as a component of almost all religions, and has been practiced for over 5,000 years. Meditative techniques originally came from Asian religious practices and have been widely adopted in Western society, where the health benefits associated with meditation have become widely recognised. Research suggests that meditation is of therapeutic advantage in the treatment of many clinical disorders such as epilepsy, although the basis of this effect in terms of electrical brain activity and other processes is unclear.

To better understand how this ancient practice affects the brain we used magnetoencephalography (MEG) to measure changes in brain activity during meditation. The mystical experiences brought about by meditation were recorded and evaluated and the influence these experiences were correlated with brain activity.

We invited a senior member of the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual Organisation, with more than 30 years of expertise in meditative practice, to participate in this study. During the meditation session, while we recorded MEG measures of brain activity, the meditator experienced a strong sense of ‘oneness’ (unity) and light, alongside a reduced awareness of the self and what was going on around her (a silencing of the usual noise of the mind).

The results demonstrated strong desynchronisation over somatosensory, auditory and visual cortices, which seem likely to reflect the reduction in attention to sensory processing. The increases in synchronous gamma activity in the cerebellum was associated with her acute experience of unity and light. The results also demonstrated that although meditation is a technique employed for relaxation, it stimulates a substantial increase in circulatory rate (from 60 to 90bpm), which possibly reflects an increased neural metabolic demand.

This figure (below) shows Desynchronisation in somatosensory cortex during the meditation phase (10-30 minutes). Demonstrating a reduction in the ongoing activity in the beta (15-25 Hz) frequency range.

What is clear from this study is that meditation is an active process, which directly modulates the oscillatory activity of the brain. The findings from a single participant demonstrated up to 180% change in oscillatory power (in the gamma frequency range), which is orders of magnitude greater than any MEG study has previously reported.

This Figure shows synchronisation in the cerebellum during the meditation phase. Demonstrating an increase in activity in the gamma (30-70Hz) frequency range. This result is particularly pronounced (>150%) in the second phase of meditation (20-30 minutes).

The synchronisation of gamma activity evident in the right cerebellum represents the most substantial increase seen in brain oscillatory activity from baseline to meditative state. If any comparison can be made between these objective measures and subjective experience, we would tentatively suggest that synchronisation might be related to the process of heightened conscious attention.
Brahma_Kumaris_Sister-Jayanti.jpg
Beam me up, Scotty. Sister Jayanti takes a day off saving the world to "create some servants" and have fun with scientists. Is it just me, or does the machine makes it look like she has her head stuck in a giant shaved vulva or "Fleshlight" for men?
Brahma_Kumaris_MEG_reading.jpg
It looks like Jayanti's soul has slipped and is in the wrong place, off to the right.
Brahma_Kumaris_MEG_reading-2.jpg
Brahma_Kumaris_MEG_reading-2.jpg (26.57 KiB) Viewed 8406 times

Pink Panther

Re: Beam me up, Scotty: BK Sister Jayanti under a MEG Micros

Post23 Aug 2013

ex-l wrote:I am sorry, the science is beyond me ... "1. The results demonstrated strong desynchronisation over somatosensory, auditory and visual cortices, 2. which seem likely to reflect the reduction in attention to sensory processing.3. The increases in synchronous gamma activity in the cerebellum was associated with her acute experience of unity and light"

A translation. It is saying that
    1. There is a disconnection (desynchronisation) taking place between the physical senses (somatosensory) and the parts of the brain that register them, in particular those that hear (auditory) and see (visual), and then ...

2. It is surmising that it's because the meditator is not paying attention to sensations (or, in my words, distracted themselves). That is, the same audio-visual stimuli are happening but the meditator is not noticing them.

3. There is an increase of a certain brain-wave/frequency (gamma activity) synchronous) - coinciding with when she experienced "unity and light" most strongly(acute).
This reminds me of the early experiments done in the 1960s in Japan. They measured both Zen monks and Hindu yogis. One thing they did was ring a bell at irregular intervals. The results for the Hindu yogis was very similar to the Beckley/Jayanti measure. The yogis basically switched off from their surrounds, gradually reducing until not responding at all to the sounding of the bell. The Zen monks, although their breathing and other responses indicated the deep meditative state, always responded to the bell, were always fully aware of its ringing.

To me, this indicates the Zen monks had "presence of mind" while the former had "absence". I suppose it is a matter of what one is trying to achieve in a meditation. I wonder if they did anything in the Beckley experiments similar to an irregular bell ring to test reactions to unexpected stimuli?
Interesting that it also *increased* the heart beats per minute 50%.

Yes, I have found that depending on the kind of meditation I do, I may get increased heart rate, even begin sweating, usually in an intensely focused meditation aiming to go "bindi" first then into Silence. I took that experience to be what's called "tapasya" in yogic traditions, due to the increased body heat which is generated by the mental exertion (the brain uses up 20% of total calorie use in normal states, and proportionally more when sitting but in an "intense" meditation) plus the physical exertion in maintaining erect and balanced posture - which allows for 'richer' breathing therefore greater oxygen uptake, therefore heat.

I'd distinguish between "intense" meditation and "deep" meditation. But words fall by the wayside when you get into this. For BKs reading, I'd just repeat that I meditated before encountering BKs, was doing BK meditation for many years, and still do meditation at times. One could describe many kinds of meditation, and these would not necessarily depend for how they'd be grouped on what was the nominal "faith" base as much as by the psycho-physiological activity of the exercise, i.e. regardless of subject and object. For example, reading a free flowing narrative about a journey would be a similar experience to a free flowing narrative about a day at home, more similar than to a haiku about a journey.

I'd also repeat a story, relevant here, that many years ago the BKs had a shop-front exhibition in the city aiming at the office workers, and one "attraction" was an early computer game based on bio-feedback. Your head was hooked up and the electrical signals went through to the computer where, according to the brain waves, you saw the results "feed-back" in the form of passing through various doors, passages & levels to a pot of gold. The more "meditative" you made your brain waves, the more progress you made.

Before I tried it, no one had made it past two or three levels. I got to the "pot of gold" within about two minutes. I only see this as being because I was more experienced than the others in (BK and also pre-BK) meditation, and more experienced in practicing altered states in, ahem, many varied situations. That is, there is a "trick" to it, but just because it's a "trick" it doesn't mean there is not other benefits, in the same way that if you know the trick to a maths formula or to using a certain tool there are benefits to be had.
The Beckley Foundation examines the curative powers of psychedelic drugs.

There was a BBC documentary years ago about this subject, how psychotropic drugs (Mescalin, LSD, ayahuasca, psylocibins) which are not physically addictive, if used in a supervised & appropriate way, helped barbiturate & opiate addicts break their addictions, mainly by revealing other levels of consciousness, potentials and experiences (you might say barbiturates & opiates induce unconsciousness!) - similar in ways to indigenous and primitive cultures' spiritual, shamanic and initiatory practices.

I'd say this is one reason BK and other meditation groups get such a hold on people, they are often that person's initiation into this "bigger reality", and each "tribe" has its own myth about what that is. A whole new world.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post23 Aug 2013

Thank you. I'll chew over the science later.

At a simplistic level, what I picked up on was that the now clearly illustrated (if not proven) "soul (by BK terms)" or brain activity was not where the BK predicted, e.g. "in the middle of the forehead" or at the hypothalamus.

Apparently there is no discussion or response to this from the BK experts.

Sister Jayanti Kirpalani might well be considered to be the leading BK meditator, at least in the West and so one might expect her meditation to be the most "correct" and exemplary and yet what do these results say?

According to the right-brain/left-brain theory (I have no idea if that still stands), a person who is "left-brained" is said to be more logical, analytical and objective, while a person who is "right-brained" is said to be more intuitive, thoughtful and subjective. Here the activity appears to be right-brained. However, is it not happening in the occipital lobe at the rear which is associated with visual processing?

Now, that makes sense from most people's BK meditation I would say because visual hallucinations are very typically reported.

But why, if the BK theory of soul is correct, does the activity appear there or, in BK terms, the soul connect to that part of the brain (and how).

I must say, looking and these results makes me want to ditch BK theory even more. To me, what these results suggest is, as you suggest, the BK explanation is just a tribal myth used to bind people to the group whereas the actual "experiences" are merely brain activity.

I wonder if there is a BK commentary on all this. What Beckley Foundation recorded about "unity and light" was, of course, typical BK waffled to outsiders. If BK Jayanti was doing BK Raja Yoga meditation, she was "uniting" with her god spirit and what she meant by "light" is unclear. Was she feeling light, as in free from gravity; seeing light, as in the so called red light of Paramdham; or seeing or experiencing her god spirit?

It's a bit vague for the likes of us.

Of course, to the BKs such questions and details don't matter. Beckley Foundation is "famous" and employs "real scientists" who, no doubt, can now be assured of a reincarnation in heaven as servants of the BKs to make mind controlled flying machines or something - as according to their philosophy.

Shame they would invest some of their ill gotten millions in doing some more experiments to see, e.g. if all BK meditator are lighting up the same areas, or even having meditation at all.

The other big metaphysical slice the BKs take out is what might be called "the spirit" by which I mean not "the soul" but the subtle bodies or that which is used to explain the alleged connects between the soul and the body used to operate it. One could propose a "soul first" theory to what is going on here, e.g. something is happening to Jayanti's soul which then reflects back on the brain but even in that circumstance ... why?

Ditto, it's be interesting if they tested her when she "went to the Subtle Regions" in trance or the process of Gulzar being "possessed by BapDada".

Pink Panther

Post23 Aug 2013

If BK Jayanti was doing BK Raja Yoga meditation, she was "uniting" with her god spirit and what she meant by "light" is unclear. Was she feeling light, as in free from gravity; seeing light, as in the so called red light of Paramdham; or seeing or experiencing her god spirit?

A few things prompted by this sentence above -

- A number of times in meditation before I ever encountered BKs, I experienced the "red light of Paramdham". I was doing a Buddhist 'third eye" meditation (I was self-taught in meditation up until that point, from reading, doing hatha Yoga, 'minding" the "energies" & sensations of various asanas, and through instinct/trusting oneself).

- Medical doctors researching into near-death experiences have begun investigating the "out-of-body" point of view that many report, i.e. seeing their body as if they were floating near the ceiling looking down. It's necessary to test - see if they can eliminate - the possibility that it is a kind of visual displacement imagining or "mind model", the kind we commonly do every day when we reference a map or can imagine our environment from a different perspective, or we draw an abstract, like a floor plan of a house or geometry which is essentially a "bird's eye view", that's never actually seen from that perspective. Or we imagine how we are seen by other drivers on the road or their distance by the sounds we hear. That is, we are always gathering & processing visual, auditory, olfactory and other sensory information, we're continually factoring in so much - including past experiences, and we're constantly synthesising and "projecting" in anticipation. This is part of "Spatial intelligence".

Such incidents tend to report looking down and specifying where things were, who was there etc, but as even this may be 'corrupted" or informed "after-the-fact" by what they see when they wake up or sensed subliminally whilst under, needs to be tested. The experiments were to involve placing very unusual memorable items that can only be seen from that high view point, like maybe a print of the Mona Lisa on the top of the cupboard, to see if they are included in the description (the results - too early and not enough samples yet to conclude anything), see here and here.

- A neurologist interviewed was researching the "light at the end of the tunnel" visualised by many who have near-death experiences. She basically said this image is the visual cortex reaction to brain's cells being "starved" - part of their shut down process - is experienced in other situations and and can be induced. See, here.

- Very recently, scientists have been observing that death itself has a colour and can watch it move through an organism, and apparently it is " a wave of blue fluorescence". See, here for more (note - the opposite of "golden red" is a fluorescent blue - look at a colour wheel. Maybe "Golden Red" is the colour of life rather than "after-life"? Indeed it is used aesthetically and symbolically in many cultures to represent life, passion, love etc).

ex-l

ex-BK

Post25 Aug 2013

So is it all happening from the brain or a soul ... some spiritual/psychic effect?

A more interesting effect to have studied might have been a senior or sincere BK "giving dhristi". Most BKs and many non-BKs would say that giving and receiving "dhristi" (staring) is a "powerful" experience.

If we remove the rather meaningless word "powerful" and replace it just with actually feeling something, is that "something" transferred or transmitted psychically and if so via which parts of the brain, or is it just auto-suggestion?

Return to The BKWSU