Really understanding the Brahma Kumaris

for discussing revisions in the history of the Brahma Kumaris and updating information about the organisation

ex-l

ex-BK

Really understanding the Brahma Kumaris

Post07 May 2014

Slavoj Žižek is a well known philosopher, psychoanalyst and cultural critic, a senior researcher at the Institute for Sociology and Philosophy. Recently, he stated the obvious ...
Slavoj Žižek wrote:To know a society is not only to know its explicit rules. One must also know how to apply them:
    when to use them,
    when to violate them,
    when to turn down a choice that is offered, and
    when we are effectively obliged to do something but have to pretend we are doing it as a free choice.

I've often thought that to truly know or understand the Brahma Kumaris is to avoid being sucked into the pointless melee of discussing their ridiculous beliefs but to look instead to their 'invisible form', the real and actual code by which they operate.

And by "they", I don't mean the duped adherents running around like headless chickens on secret missions to infiltrate and evangelise, but the inner circle ... the Kirpalani Klan.

After years of observing them, it seems to me that the philosophy, the external codes of life by which they visually define themselves, are just there to to keep adherents confused and hung up, which is why I call it a "melee" ... a confused tumultuous mingling, at odds with and dissonant to the real world around us and putting individuals at odds with and dissonant to it too.

I think they are almost valueless and immaterial to the inner circle. The facts and integrity of the philosophy and external codes (Maryadas) can be altered, changed, broken, contradicted at will according to what is most expedient for the sake of their business and sustaining their power and influences within their own tribe, the "BKWSU", and their status in the real world (which is based on money and who they know not any mystic, cosmic wonder).

So the questions then arise ... what is this other form I call "Brahma Kumarism" and how and where is taught and passed down in the cult? The invisible codes and organization, the real value system ...

Adherents are led to believe they are part of the "the family", especially when it comes to supporting it financially and with their free labor. There's a saying in the BKWSU which you won't find in any of their books ...
"It's a family when they want something from you ... but it's an organization when you need something from them" (meaning it'll be ignored/refused/swept aside for some bureaucratic, bullsh** reason of "not being according to Shrimat").

But where is this code or the decisions made written down and recorded so it can be studied, questioned, and understand?

It's not but it's not convenient for it to be. It's kept hidden and adherents are kept distracted from it because, I guess, it's ugly and a mess.

But where, how and when are individuals initiated into it ... the center-in-charges and the zone-in-charges? How does someone move up from being a center-in-charge or the zone-in-charges to joining the inner circle ... the Kirpalani Klan?

I imagine, for individuals like 'leader in waiting' Jayanti Kirpalani, it has happened in the 1,000s of hours she has spent glued to Janki Kirpalani and for Janki Kirpalani the 1,000s of hours she has spent glued to Lekhraj Kirpalani ... hence calling the Kirpalani Klan. And it's then passed down from the Jayanti, Jankis to the second and third levels. But how and when is it done ... is it done merely on a "need to know" basis, drip fed in private meetings and via private telephone calls?

How and when do junior center-in-charges learn "when use the rules and when to violate them"? Do you have to have been "in" for x number of years, and have the right size of badge, before they let you know? Are there specially training camps in Mount Abu?

What I would say is most obvious is that what matters to the Kirpalani Klan is not whether anything or anyone is 'good', 'right' or even congruent with reality ... and especially not factual or even 'legal' (the laws and values of any land are there to be ignored and worked around); what matters to them the most is ...
    a) unquestioning loyalty and subservience to them, and

b) (if they cannot get that) usefulness in assisting them for their very worldly ambitions.
Therefore, it does actually really matter to them if one believes in their religion, whether their religion is "true" (because if it is not, it can always be changed tomorrow), whether an individual follows their rules and, especially, if any of their leaders follows the laws and values of any land (after all, those lands are the opposition and enemy they are at spiritual war with).

All of the 99% that BK adherents struggle with so much to try and understand, imbibe, accommodate themselves within, live up to and suffer many kinds of hardship and humiliations for ... really does not matter to them.

It's not the real path of the Brahma Kumaris.

The real path of the Brahma Kumaris ... what the Brahma Kumaris has become ... is manipulating all of that in order to sustain oneself in established positions of power and influence, sufficiently enough in order to be able to exploit it for one's upkeep.

And when I write, "established positions of power and influence", I don't just mean within the BKWSU community, but also established positions of power and influence in the external societies the BKs find themselves.

One cannot understanding the Brahma Kumaris if one merely looks at the external forms and one certainly cannot understanding the philosophy ... because there is nothing there to understand.

It is not understandable.

The philosophy .. and the constant and unquestionable manipulations of it by the inner circles ... is merely there to be accepted or not; as a test of whether you are 'in', or not. It's not a belief, per se, but more of a filtering system to see if you have the right kind of mind,
    a) to be manipulated and exploited (for the many), and
    b) to be willing to manipulate and exploit the many (and become part of the inner circle).
Questioning, and especially attempting holding the inner circles to account for all their inconsistent braking of explicit codes, will quickly lead you to be 'out' ... firstly, out of any chance of joining the inner circles at a later date (you'll end up sidelined as a BK); and secondly, if you push it, out of the religion.

Return to The BKWSU