Piyu or Piu? Brahma Kumaris first Medium of their god spirit

for discussing revisions in the history of the Brahma Kumaris and updating information about the organisation

ex-l

ex-BK

Piyu or Piu? Brahma Kumaris first Medium of their god spirit

Post29 Feb 2016

From BK Robin Ramsay's More About Brahma Kumaris website, where he questions and challenges the BK status quo from within.

This is a photo of ‘Piu’, or at least Pushpa it's spirit medium, sitting between "Mama" Om Radhe and Lekhraj Kirpalani. Interesting composition of the three main characters. What became of Pushpa ... I suppose she must be dead by now but must have been alive at least until, say, the 1980s. What a shame and how unenlightened of them to have hidden her away.

piyu-pushpa.jpg

Piu, or Piyu, was supposedly an entity that spoke through the mediumship of various Om Mandli attendents, beginning in the 1940’s. The site states Piu means Father (beloved?) in Sindhi. I don't know ... it's also uncommon name with Sanskrit roots meaning Gold ... possibly a connection when the group around Pushpa was called the Golden Circle? (pure conjecture). In Hindi, it means beloved, lover, or love, and is sometimes a name given to a beautiful, intelligent, young woman.

The site continues ...
Piu informed Bhai Lekraj that he was ‘ Prajapati God Brahma’ we understand, and Piu came as a voice and personality from time to time over a twenty year period giving advice, clarifications and the occasional Big Surprise. Piu is not mentioned in ‘Adi Dev’ or any of the printed historical material, and the Piu tale is slowly being gathered through conversations with Brothers and Sisters who joined BKWSU in the 1950s, when Piu was still active.

Piu spoke through a number of Sisters in a characteristic ‘whispering voice’, though primarily Piu spoke through Sister Pushpa, pictured above with Dada and Mama. Pushpa used to be richly dressed for the occasion as you can see, and was given a central position on a little stage.

Apparently, after some time Pushpa thought she should be given more special, even worshipful, treatment. Dada and Mama felt this was not appropriate, as she was just a ‘medium’ after all. So Pushpa felt inclined to leave the group, so she did, taking with her other members of The Golden Circle, which included Dadi Janki’s Sister.

Piu continued speaking through other ‘mediums ‘ from time to time. We are told there was some factional preferences between those who favoured the Brahma classes, and those who preferred the Piu classes: Piu Vanis. As a result Piu stayed away for a period.

Eventually, and this was in the time of Brother Jagdish, the late 1950s even early 1960s, Piu, we are told, became recognised as Shiva, the One True God of all Religions, and that was that. A few more clarifications and the philosphy was complete, so official Murlis via BapDada began in 1964, continuing till Brahma's passing in 1969.

Piu/Shiva never spoke through Brahma Baba in a whisper. But senior Brothers make clear that when listening to live Murlis, there was a subtle difference when Brahma spoke, and when Shiva spoke, or perhaps inspired Brahma Baba.

There's no evidence as yet to suggest "Piu informed Bhai Lekraj that he was Prajapati God Brahma".

I've voiced an opinion that I've come to doubt the "Pushpa thought she should be given more special, even worshipful, treatment" line, as it's a common yukti or meme the BKs have thrown even at us over here and, in general, I find the BKs leadership is given to stating the opposite to the thruth. Therefore, I'd have to question that and, given the luxuries and indulgences that Lekhraj Kirpalani and his faction afforded themselves, I wonder whether the schism was the other way around.

This is closer to the PBK line that the original medium of the BK god was strict in contradiction to Lekhraj Kirpalani's child like and egotistical indulgences. Perhaps the Golden Circle just plainly rejected BKism and the true nature of the god spirit, and all the God Lekhraj Kirpalani stuff?

Why, I wonder, if Piyu was the same "Ocean of Knowledge", the "Seer of the Three Aspects of Time", and the "God of all Religions" as the BKs' ShivBaba ... did he chose such an allegedly faulted medium in the first place? It's hard to believe that such a medium "out in the wild" did not become record in history elsehow.

And what happened that was so terrible and traumatic, that Pushpa, the Golden Circle and Piyu was written out of the "official history"? Especially given that leader Janki Kirpalani's Sister was meant to be involved?

On his daughter's semi official history site, it is said ...
During the time of Piyu, there was one of the first experiences of dissent in the community. Sister Pushpa, the Chariot of Piyu, began to feel that she should be given special treatment and acknowledgement because of her role as the Chariot. While the Divine character of Piyu was speaking through her, Baba and Mama gave her special food, fresh clothes to wear and a special seat. However, when Piyu was not there, Pushpa was treated the same as all the other children. Sister Pushpa, and a handful of others, known as 'the gossip group' or 'the golden group' felt this was unfair. They ultimately left the community. One of those Sisters was the biological Sister of Dadi Janki, Chief Administrative Head of the Brahma Kumaris.
1948 Shiv Baba speaks through Brahma Baba directly (not through Pushpa) saying “Shivohum” in the same whispering voice that had been associated with Piyu five to six years earlier. Dada Anand Kishore understands there is indeed the personality of God present, but this clarity and perception is not common. To some it becomes clear that Brahma is not God, that in fact no human being can be God. Some start becoming aware of a different personality.

Apparently no "Piyu Vanis", or Murlis spoken through Pushpa exist. On oldtimer, a Kirpalani, described the psychic "courts" they used to hold at this time where the god spirit would expose all the secret/sinful thoughts or actions of the individuals. Given the BKs propensity for gossip, I have to have a little laugh at them being called it as a negative.

Sadly, brahmakumarisresearch.org ... the best the BKs have so far ... is still stuck making an apologetic whitewash of the past and is given to towing the party line.

ex-l

ex-BK

Re: Piyu or Piu? Brahma Kumaris first Medium of their god sp

Post29 Feb 2016

Pushpa does not figure on the Om Mandli Members dated around 1938, nor the committee of Om Mandli trustees ... unless it is under her real name.

Pushpa means means "flower-like".

Pink Panther

Post01 Mar 2016

What makes one person’s ‘Shivohum' a first person introduction from God (Hi there, I am Shiva) and another’s "Shivohum" merely a whispered phrase? And, in the case of the former, how would you discern if true or not? My thesis for these matters - people hear and believe what they want to hear and believe.

In certain esoteric Hinduisms, everyone and everything is a manifestation of God (Pantheism) and to realise this oneness is the real Yoga (union). To consider oneself as separate, an atma separate to the whole, the parmatman, is due to the influences of ahamkara (aham- self, kara- doing, conceiving), i.e. ego. BK teachings are definitely a variation of this lower order of the Upanishadic thinking.

BTW there are 108 upanishads - were ‘only' 108 written so as to be associated with this "magic number" or is the number ”magical” partly because there are 108 Upanishads? Self-reinforcing symbols of belief?

I have seen some feedback on Robin’s site, some respondents think he is not a BK and even an anti-BK. Some think his site is this one, i.e. they have heard of this site - commonly known by BKs as an anti-BK site and as any questioning is anti -, therefore ... .

These people reveal themselves as the kind to decide about evidence and facts based on which ‘side' it serves, i.e. truth and facts are not impartial, they are to be denied or accepted according to whom they serve.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post01 Mar 2016

Pink Panther wrote:My thesis for these matters - people hear and believe what they want to hear and believe.

My thesis for these matters - certain sort of people say what others want to hear and believe ... if there's a buck, a free meal or a life time's pension in it.

One of the saddest episodes relating to all this was Lekhraj Kirpalani's daughter being setting up to repeat the "officially sanctioned", but ultimately grossly fraudulent version of events which is sadly bereft of the most pertinent details.

At some point the inner circle has sat down, somewhat like Nicean Council in Christianity but one guess with my less style, and agreed on the "official version" and to defraud and deny the following the truth.

My usual question to BK about all this is, how can an pure Age of Truth (Sat Yug), be made out of lies?

Do they know understand how the entirely episode, or attitude, undercuts any moral integrity or authority that they might claim to have?

I have no idea if the Ramsay's have been allowed access of Janki, or gotten anything useful out of her, but she must know a whole lot more than she is saying. Likewise Ramesh Shah. How many others are left before the 2nd, 3rd and 4th generation idiots are left to believe in the fictional version?

Robin reports that, consequent to his digging, Adi Dev was quietly removed from sale in Australia. As usual, it's still being pumped out in India and elsewhere. One of the more elucidating responses from one BK on his site was BK Rosa bleating, "You've got it all wrong ... you don't understand ... you're missing the point ... what's importants is that Baba just wants us to be happy" (approx).

I found it quite sad and pitiful.

Pink Panther

Post03 Mar 2016

I was a BK in the years BAD and AAD (Before Adi Dev and After Adi Dev) .

It is interesting to see how those who came AAD buy into it as ”gospel” while those around BAD know it as a PR piece. Many of us knew the author - who must have absorbed much of what he learnt as he soon left BKs and he set up his own ashram and gurudom!!

At the time of its first publication, it was interesting to discuss it with people who were also BAD. Discussions revealed those who accepted every word and others who had ”living memories”, that is, they know they had heard other stories that had been omitted or changed so some of what was written did not gel. Of course, few BK faithful bother to think through what is officially presented.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post03 Mar 2016

I remember when Adi Dev first came out too ... published in the Far East on the cheap. Western BKs fell on it, voracious starved for any non-compromising material that did not look like some kitsch 1950s Hindi toothpaste advert from a New Delhi billboard.

I don't remember any critical discussion about it at all. It was "the Truth" and we had to disseminate. It was despatch all around the world, sent to IPs and VIPs as if they were Godly missiles exploding with enlightenment wherever they landed (which was mostly on very hard and barren soil, i.e. a waste of money and energy sending).

The leadership - Jayanti and Janki Kirpalani and Sudesh - never let on once that it was not complete or had beem whitewashed. This underlines to me that
    a) their guiding influence is not moral or ethical, but about "expedience" (... what works best to subjugate and milk the adherents), and
    b) How skilled at dishonesty there were.
In essence, they lied to us blind.

But I remember the seemingly magnetic quality to them for many of we believers, and how we absorbed them as "our" history.

This adoption of others or false histories as "our history", and the immense emotional association it can have, is something we see elsewhere, in other religions, nationalism, even gangs.

I think in some BKs' case there was even an element of replaying the now known to be fictional psychodrama in their current BK lives, e.g. the BKs' own persecution myth ... husbands and families being "against purity" rather than quite rationally disturbed about the changes in their loved one's personalities.

I still like to know what happened to Pushpa and Janki Kirpalani's Sister etc ... again, I never heard Jacki utter a word about her or her family really.

That just goes to show how emotionally cut off she was.

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post04 Mar 2016

Can you remember what the other big book was that Jagdish wrote?

ex-l

ex-BK

Post05 Mar 2016

I cannot remember ... there were so many.

There is a BK bibliography of classic publications, here ... obviously it is out of date now that they have become an bookseller of New Agey twaddle to make money and do PR.

My favourite piece of Jagdish's was an article he wrote for "World Renewal" magazine (?) on sexual disorders and disease full of lurid and prurient cases taken from Victorian medical journals. I suspect it was some kind of "horror story" designed to frighten BK boys and girls off sex for life. I remember one of them was about a nymphomaniac who ended up in an asylum who used to have fits or pass out after orgasm ... the guy was a crackpot. Funny, but nuts, and at the time the only one of them who could write, or was allowed to anything.

"Divinise the Man?"

Return to The BKWSU