Why I Left the Brahma Kumaris [1]

Classic posts chosen by the admins of xBKChat.com and the users of this website

classic posts

site admin

Why I Left the Brahma Kumaris [1]

Post02 Jun 2008

Why I Left the Brahma Kumaris [1] - posted by: Isabel on March 24, 2004

I just stumbled accross xBKChat, never expecting to run into something like this! By way of introduction I’ll share a bit of my story.

I feel a bit as if I’m in some sort of netherworld - unable to give my heart fully to the BKs and yet continuing to follow many of the B.K. edicts including daily meditation.

Why have I distanced myself? I missed being human. I missed feeling sadness, I missed being able to share my deepest thoughts with others. As a BK I always felt very alone. I told myself this was good I was independent, I had Baba, who else did I need? It didn’t feel right though. At some point I could no longer deny that the lifestyle was not nurturing an important part of me.

I treasure my humanity. Shouldn’t there be a way to grow spiritually by delving into and accepting that humanity rather than by trying to banish it? I was also disturbed by what seemed to me to be the elitism of the Brahma Kumaris. As a B.K, we are taught that we are a superior order of being and that the rest of humanity ‘doesn’t quite get it’. Yet this seems to me to fly in the face of true humility. I feel I have grown a great deal since I gave up the notion that only B.K.s had accurate insight into God.

I do miss the certainty and the blissfulness of life as a BK. But I feel as if I’ve arrived at truths that go against B.K. teachings and there’s no turning back. I wish one could somehow be part BK, but I think it’s a practice you have to do whole hog or not at all.

Return to Classic Posts