Reasons to Follow such a Religion

Classic posts chosen by the admins of xBKChat.com and the users of this website

classic posts

site admin

Reasons to Follow such a Religion

Post02 Jun 2008

Reasons to Follow such a Religion - posted by: gyaniwasi on March 6, 2005

First, about the attraction; I was spiritually in need and wandering in a sort of desert, moving from oasis to oasis as I read books and sought for a deeper experience of ‘God’. When I came across Raja Yoga through a friend, the impact was not so much The Knowledge as the experience of purity and peace I discerned in its followers. I wanted to experience that.

I imagine everyone’s experience had its own subtleties that had its peculiar influence on them. For me, there were at least two remarkable impressions. One was my friend’s countenance of peace contrasted with my own experience of being unfulfilled. The other was my first visit to the centre where I felt the atmosphere suffused with the same qualities I discerned in my friend. There was something attractive about the radiant whiteness of the walls and the clothes of the practitioners, the emphasis on purity and the gentle nature of the people that formed a contrast to the norm we experienced in the outside world. I was eager to get that quality of experience and so I drank deeply into Gyan † becoming a vegetarian overnight and adopting all of the Maryadas†† etc.

Then there was the experience of being bodiless while in meditation on the third day of the 7 Day Course. That is when I first understood by experience that I was not really my body but an energy suffusing it - “a point of light and energy” as I came to accept. Soon after that, I was given a collection of Sakar Murlis and asked to develop a new centre in another country where I was studying at the time. That was spiritually enriching. Sometimes during meditation I would ask Baba to take over my intellect and guide me in teaching then, while reading the Murli and explaining various points, I would realize more clearly what I was reading or trying to explain. Afterwards, I would marvel at that clarity. Yes, it was spiritually rewarding and it was good while it lasted

In that regard, I think the real God adjusts to whatever He sees as pure in our faith and He enriches it. When we outgrow that faith, for one reason or another, He takes us to another level - provided we can overcome our attachment to the old faith and the “Murtis” or images associated with it. If we can’t (as is often the case) then he waits or, as the saying goes, “when the pupil is ready, the teacher awaits”. There is a religion for every level of consciousness.

My experience of ‘God’ has been influenced by my experience of the sub-culture and regional politics of the organization. I am therefore trying to experience God not as the exclusive property of the BKs of any other path, but in a unique way through His grace.

Administrator inserted notes:

† Gyan - Brahma Kumaris spiritual ‘knowledge’, based on the teachings of Shiva Baba delivered through medium.

†† Maryadas - Brahma Kumaris code of conduct.

Return to Classic Posts