Dharamraj

Classic posts chosen by the admins of xBKChat.com and the users of this website

classic posts

site admin

Dharamraj

Post02 Jun 2008

Dharamraj - posted by: Joel on November 24, 2004

I don’t think about Dharamraj † much, but I do think that by being afraid that you aren’t doing enough in your life, or being afraid that you aren’t doing enough right, the being afraid part is more destructive in many cases to the person than the perceived wrong may actually be.

Remember the Murli point that sexual arousal and orgasm are as bad as killing people? It just rings so hollow now, to anyone who has seen healthy touching and sensual feelings expressed lovingly. Of course there can be any kind of obsessive or addictive behavior, whatever of life’s pleasure systems are involved.

Fear of wrongdoing and guilt for breaking BK principles (or other social expectations) can be more damaging to the person, trapping them in a limited self view that is more damaging than the bad consequences (if any) of the act itself. Even if fear or guilt were justified, those responses don’t actually alleviate the trait or habit in question. And mere practice of restraint to avoid various ’sins’ provides no guarantee of a creative responses to challenges that bring strength and confidence. Despite what my superficial faith and imploring / invoking of God’s help may target, some parts of my character are not meant to be hacked away. And it was arrogant to be trying to lop those parts of myself away. It was wrong and hurtful to myself. The ‘purity’ related disciplines of Brahmins hardly helped on this most central issue of self-assertion and expression in the world. God does not need a phony representative and I certainly need a real one.

For healing deep feelings of inadequacy, it has been the steady regard of my friends (their ongoing open-eyed loving approval/acceptance) that has given me the power to appreciate my own value in and above whatever sub-optimal character traits may remain. It has helped establish my value at greatly exceeding the worst failings for which I might blame myself or could imagine I might be punished by some strictly judging 3rd party. Love/support by non BK friends who accept me as soulmates heals me more deeply than whose who primarily accept me in the context of religious or tribal bonding rituals (Although those were great at the time, too.) Acceptance seems more totally genuine that arises where there is no pressure to accept.

I am pleased to have several friends from BK years and mourn the loss of some friendships that didn’t survive my departure from BK knowledge and practices.

In other karma-related discussion, the idea of using up your good fortune doesn’t ring at all for me, or for the creative loving people I see around me. Looking for examples of knowledge being true is also no longer part of my mental routine. Although I do agree we are burning up the planet’s ecosystem in aggregate. This is much more a concern to me than a putative Dharamraj.

Administrator inserted notes:

† The word “Dharamraj”, as used by Brahma Kumaris, connotes God as Supreme judge and punisher.

Return to Classic Posts