After Raj Yoga, Can There be ANY Faith?

Classic posts chosen by the admins of xBKChat.com and the users of this website

rayoflight

beyond BK

Re: After Raj Yoga, Can There be ANY Faith?

Post18 Jul 2009

Hi gotmylifeback. And Congratulations on getting your life back!

I can relate to a lot of what you've said. Getting out of the BKWSO was the biggest wake up call for me. I am trying to learn how to take responsibility for it and how to not forget the dangers involved with such groups. This forum helps remind me of that.

There is a confidence that emerges when you get out of the BKWSO and that confidence has renewed my faith. I don't know if anything I learned is really true. The soul, karma, reincarnation etc. I have had my share of experiences so I used to be the first to say it was true because it was true to me. But now I am not so sure anymore and I am okay with that. It doesn't seem to matter to me as much anymore either. I've just accepted that I am a human being which seems to be a sort of consciousness in an incredible organism, and I have to eat, sleep, work, play, exercise, study, have relationships and go through the ups and downs of all of this like everybody else.

I can explore other dimensions above and below ground but that doesn't change the basics that make up a human life. Having wasted so much time with the BK's has cured me of a few things, one of which is I am no longer as complicated as I used to be. Once I got my priorities straight again, a sense of clarity returned which has helped me get my life back on track. It's great to have a big heart, to want to serve humanity and to love God so dearly, but it's not great if it creates an imbalance in one's life and removes us from the joys of being free.

lokila

ex-BK

Post18 Jul 2009

bkti-pit wrote: What matters to me is to live a life of truth, which for me is not so much about knowing but about behaving, not about being right but about being good and loving...

Thanks for this quote bkti-pit. This is the exact way I want to describe spirituality for myself nowadays. For me it is all about how I interact with people. I try to practice the values I was taught in the BK. The 36 virtues, 8 powers, 16 arts of life ... (amazing these multiplies of the number 8): wonderful stuff which always made me think about how one could really live up according to their true meaning (not necessarily as described in the BK books). Back then I thought they were original BK-stuff. Now I know they are not. But they are definitely worthwhile, so I try not to spoil their value by the fact the BK claims it as their original teachings. Nor do I want to devalue them because I was so disappointed that my spiritual family could not provide the example of how to practice these values. (It was quite the opposite).

At these days spirituality for me is not about faith or spooks but about being the human being the best way I can. Not wanting to make a choice between the two thoughts of being an eternal soul or just being chemical fabric. I do not know. Who knows? Being a part of human species and live a life which suits me (and the ones around me) best is what it's all about for me.

rayoflight

beyond BK

Post18 Jul 2009

I also think it is a beautiful quote bkti-pit.

And it seems that the more I read this forum, the better I feel.

Faith does return. The hardest part is recovering from the disappointment and everything that comes with it including depression and disillusionment. And the best way to do it is to get out there in the world. Not everybody is going to let us down. Some people have never been to an ashram or India but somehow know how to be good, caring and loving human beings. That is what brings faith back. Because we haven't really lost faith in God, spirituality or even ourselves. We've lost faith in people.
bkti-pit wrote:What matters to me is to live a life of truth, which for me is not so much about knowing but about behaving, not about being right but about being good and loving...
Swami Vivekenanda, Karma Yoga: The Yoga of Action As Guatama Buddha wrote: What is the use of discussing all the subtle doctrines about the soul? Do good and be good. And this will take you to freedom and to whatever truth there is..."

"You may have noticed a special gracefulness from certain enlightened yogis and even just the occasional person you run into. This comes from a non-self-consciousness of action. There is no ego involvement in the decision making of a free person. When there is an ego consideration there is usually stress of opposing desires and therefore, a lack of gracefulness."

This quote made me think that with the superiority complex inherent in the BK teachings, the BK's are not free. As for the gracefulness, since it is a by-product of inner freedom the BK's cannot have that either. I think the BK idea of freedom is detachment. But they are not the same at all.

Spiritual ego is not only an obstacle to gracefulness and freedom, but also enlightenment. How can you ever reach true enlightenment if you are constantly swimming within the limitations of a small and incestuous pond?
Previous

Return to Classic Posts