Positive opinions about BKs expressed on this forum

for Brahma Kumaris, or those becoming BKs, to discuss matters in an open, non-judgemental manner.
Forum rules Read only. BK and PBK followers wishing to discuss "The Knowledge" from the point of view of a "believer", please use; http://www.bk-pbk.info.

arjun

PBK

Positive opinions about BKs expressed on this forum

Post08 Mar 2007

Omshanti.

Since there may not be much news about the service programmes undertaken by BKs that may qualify as Positive news from the point of view of this forum, I thought we can have a thread where the positive opinions about BKs expressed by members of this forum could be compiled. This would be a proof against the allegation levelled on this forum by some souls that it is biased. A lot of positive opinions have been expressed on this forum in the past, but they are scattered in various threads. If it is possible for anyone to quote such opinions from other threads in this thread it would be very nice. Otherwise, at least those positive opinions which would be expressed about the BKs henceforth may be copied into this thread.

It would be better if those members who are expressing such positive opinions about BKs to copy their posts/part thereof into this thread. But if a member copies the positive opinion abou the BKs by other members into this thread and if the member who has actually expressed that opinion feels that it is not a positive opinion, or that it should not have been copied here, they can contact any of the moderators or Admin. and that post could be deleted as soon as possible.

Besides, if any member has/has not expressed any positive opinion about the BKs so far and wishes to reiterate/express such an opinion, he/she could do so here.

Another suggestion is that if any positive opinion about BKs has been published in any newspaper/magazine/website other than those published/maintained by the BKs, then that could also be posted here. But it would be better if the source of the information is also quoted along with it.

I hope Admin. or other members have no objection to this thread. Admin. can frame any other rules or disallow any of the above suggestions for this thread if he deems it to be unnecessary.

Regards,
On Godly service,
Arjun

Note: The view expressed about the BKs by Di in her post in the 'abortions' thread in the Commonroom section has prompted me to start this thread. So thanks to her.

arjun

PBK

Post08 Mar 2007

Omshanti.
In the thread titled "abortions *sensitive*" in the Commonroom Section ex-l had made the following comments:
ex-l wrote: There was is one article out there quoting the BKs advising a pro-choice stance, each case to be taken on its own merits etc. I think as the PR effect has grown, they have polished and mellowed a bit on their pronouncements. But what they think of a Sister actually doing the necessary to get in that state ... I cannot imagine that has changed. If they were well advised, they should keep right out of the arena and stick to their own. See also; link

Hinduism Today wrote:

Several Hindu institutions have shared their positions on abortion recently. The Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University does not take a formal unchanging political or religious stance on the issue of abortion. They advise that each case requires unique consideration. The final decision will be based on a long series of choices made by the woman on her lifestyle, morals and values. Usually, the choices that created the unwanted pregnancy in the first place have been irrational or emotional ones, not the mature commitment motherhood needs. The Brahma Kumaris counsel those facing an abortion decision, both man and woman, to understand that by abortion they do not escape responsibility for their actions. When both the parents have fully understood the seriousness of the choice, the University would support the right to make their own decision.

The Brahma Kumaris view the body as a physical vehicle for the immortal soul, and therefore the issue is not "pro-life" or "anti-life" but a choice between the amount of suffering caused to the souls of the parents and child in either course, abortion or motherhood. They view existing legislation in America as fair and reasonable, with the proviso that abortion after the 4th month should be avoided except in medical emergencies, since in their view the soul enters the fetus in the 4th to 5th month.

In response, Di expressed her opinion as follows:
Di wrote: But here I agree with the BKs. It is a difficult decision and the whole circumstances need to be looked at as it varies from one individual to another and whatever the choice, these people need as much support and ongoing care as can possibly be given.
Love Di

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

arjun

PBK

Post08 Mar 2007

Omshanti.
While responding to a querry about the relationship between BKs and PBKs in Australia in a thread titled "Good wishes for the Godly family" in the PBK Section of this forum, a PBK member PBK TrinityShiva wrote:
PBK TrinityShiva wrote: As far as BK/PBK relations here I know that some PBKs here still see some people from the BK world and discuss in a respectful way on occasion but its not that its something organised. Although I never spent much time within the BK world itself I have only ever had good experiences with the BKs that I met here who were clearly solid in their dharna. When I was very new to knowledge I had showed a PBK site to a senior BK Brother here and he was incredibly respectful in the face of my confronting nature at the time.

I would like to re-connect with my local BK centre and at least keep a line of communication open with them. Rumours and false information within the BK world abound about the PBK's so I cannot blame them for feeling cautious about people leaving to go join PBK.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

yudhishtira

reforming BK

Post08 Mar 2007

It's good hearted of Arjun to start this thread; tho, I am not sure if you should check with souls before including their comments in this thread and letting them add their own comments. I am not sure how Di would feel for example, as she's had a rough ride recently from the BKs!

For myself, what can I say ... well, apart from my rather bruising experiences with hierarchy, they; introduced me to Shiv Baba, Brahma Baba and The Knowledge, for which I will always be thankful. I met some good people including some long term friends, and gained a lot of confidence in myself and my abilities through service that I did with some souls. I created some good breaks for myself. I learn a lot about the underside of human nature and stopped putting people on pedestals so much.

bansy

Post08 Mar 2007

Some more here

http://ex.brahmakumaris.info/ex-BK/These_ ... ngs.1.html

Feels like a long time ago since making those comments, but it's just over a year !!

ex-l

ex-BK

Post11 Mar 2007

I have been thinking about this and it will probably go down in forum history as the day ex-l actually said anything positive side about the Brahmakumaris but ... I give the BKWSU;

10/10 for stopping some people smoking ... what a needless, disgusting and psychopathic habit.
10/10 for stopping both some stupid and some arrogant intelligent people from drinking taking drugs ... the stupid ones because it only makes them more dull and the intelligent arrogant ones because it only makes them more sharp and arrogant. (I exclude moderates and a very few that actually needed to do it for a while).
5/10 for making some more people vegetarians ... but only 5 because they should have taken it further or applied the theory properly (e.g. to a more healthy, truly sattvic diet). There was too much resistance to this.
9/10 for stopping some vegetarians eating onions and garlic ... God, they stink. But, let us face it, it is not the biggest issue to deal with in the world; some folk have no food at all. (The only sin I have left is buying the odd leek now and again ... ).
7/10 to BK Golo Pilz and the German Government via the German Appropriate Technology Exchange for having the big solar cooker built. The BKWSU loses one point for not actually paying for it and two for not mentioning Wolfgang Scheffler and Deepak Gadhia in its PR about itself, instead taking credit and claiming to be the pioneers rather than the end users and bemeficiaries.

... And the 2007 Ex-l-ent Award for Best Service Plan of the Kalpa (to date) goes to Søren Solkær Starbird of Denmark for his series of bigger than life black and white photographs, see;

http://www.starbird.dk then follow the link to 'Personal' and then 'Souls'.

I don't know if Starbird is a BK or just a 'Friend and Family of' but they are great photos and say 10,000 times more than all the PR crap the BKWSU usually churns out. A great lesson to be learned. Saying less is worth more and just being is better. He seems to have really captured the warmth and humanity within the BK souls he chose, even our favorite Sister Jayanti. I really appreciate that he chose mostly non-name and even Indian BKs as the faces of the organization. I hope he was not hypnotized by them, or if he was that he was very happy to be.

A close runner up is the Asian dub music of Per Marshall for being atypically "Brahmin". A good inspiration to others not to give up their own particular creativity and be subsumed by generally fearful and conformist mediocrity. Stand up and have some self-respect, the pair of you.

So there you go. I am sure there are more positive cases, especially amongst the many humble individuals giving their lives to the organization in India, and if I can find them, then I will mentioned them. Sadly, to my mind, they are just overshadowed by a leadership structure I do not agree with and the general trend of deceptive fronts and revisionism I see in the West.

arjun

PBK

Post11 Mar 2007

ex-l wrote:I have been thinking about this and it will probably go down in forum history as the day ex-l actually said anything positive side about the Brahmakumaris but ...

Yes, this comes as a surprise, but a sweet one. Hoping to hear more positive cases as you have promised.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

joel

ex-BK

Natural and Nice BKs

Post11 Mar 2007

ex-l mentioned Per and Golo.

Golo visited Osaka briefly, around the time he was promoting work at the Global Hospital at Mt. Abu. An energetic and nice guy. Myrthyjaya from Madhuban came visiting around that time, too.

Per I know from a number of visits to the B.K. center in San Francisco. Per and Mario give the sense of living completely their own lives while sharing the large Victorian house that the BKs have on Baker Street, which is near Haight Ashbury at the panhandle of Golden Gate Park.

Trying to remember the Brother in the Delhi center at New Rohtak Rd., (name starts with G, his job is a sinecure, so he works fully for the center) instead I remember Golak-bhai, a really nice Madhuban Brother. I think the Delhi fellow is Gopal. Always arranged train tickets for us. There was a younger Brother in Delhi with wavy hair and two eyes slightly divergent. More than once he woke me up when I would have otherwise missed my flight.

I guess we all had (have) our favorites. Among the women, I always felt easy with Sheelu (Madhuban), Usha (Bombay, Ramesh's wife). Shashi (Madhuban) always spoke on the level.

Actually there is no end of goodness to tell about the BKs. Many wonderful, dedicated, generous people that are part of the Yagya.

With so much goodness, a few revealing or occasionally critical comments here shouldn't inconvenience them.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post11 Mar 2007

joel wrote:ex-l mentioned Per and Golo.

I praised their work, not them personally. I don't know them.

I think any individual within the organization ought to be asking pretty big questions if they are going along with it all right now (... not positive I am afraid). I am uncomfortable at praising, or forgiving any individual going along with it all because the collective individuals are the organization. Just because the individuals "nice" is no wonder. It appears they come, they are nice because they were nice anyway, and then they go.

alladin

no label

Sudesh, Vedanti and karmayogi br, Sister

Post12 Mar 2007

If we make a list of nice people in the BK, it would be a long one. Unfortunately, the majority of them are not in power. God bless the free labourers and sewadharis in Madhubhan - and elsewhere too! - not just for their hard work but also for the good vibes and positive exchange I had with them in words or just the loving and soothing drishti I received when other high-mid rank so called BKs, pushed me around.

I was happy to read in some earlier post, positive comments about Sudeshbhen. She doesn't need to be called "Didi". I think this sandeshi Sister IS special and genuine. She never let me down, she always gave me realistic directions, with empathy, taking into consideration the benefit of the soul, rather than "how can we use this one?". So, whenever she pulled my ears, I accepted that. Much class!! I also used to like Vedantibhen and heard very inspiring things about her dharna and example of humility, by many Sisters of her centers /zone.

arjun

PBK

Post12 Mar 2007

Alladin wrote:I also used to like Vedantibhen and heard very inspiring things about her dharna and example of humility, by many Sisters of her centers /zone.

Brother,

Have you met her personally? If so, could you relate any of your experiences with her?
Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

ex-l

ex-BK

Post12 Mar 2007

ex-l wrote:And the 2007 ex-l-ent Award for Best Service Plan of the Kalpa (to date) goes to Søren Solkær Starbird of Denmark for his series of bigger than life black and white photographs, see;

http://www.starbird.dk then follow the link to 'Personal' and then 'Souls'.

Oh. I had an alokik panic about this and decided that while the art, craft and conception of it all were excellent by lokik, wordly standards (a picture saying a 1,000 words etc), I realised that by Brahmin alokik standards it is all wrong and I am wrong to recommend it. It directs focus onto the body, individuals and bodily gurus reinforcing their status.

The rest of the world will think we are mad to focus on such a minor issue but, through the pure lens of reflection, it would be wrong to praise and encourage it. Sorry.

di

friends or family of a BK

Post12 Mar 2007

I think a good thread. I have no problem with anyone quoting me (glad I said something worth while quoting!) A rough ride with the BK institutional side of things, but no BK has ever been rude or unhelpful--look at you guys and gals, a most sincere and open group of people. There are many good things about the BKs and I feel you are right to balance the negative side of things with the positive.

alladin

no label

vedantibhen

Post13 Mar 2007

Arjun, I was looking at my note book last nite, couldn't find the notes I took from Vedanti's class last time I was in Madhuban. But you know, tapes and CDs are available. She usually speaks about her relationship with God, often as Bholanath, how she came in Gyan and how Baba knows there's only 1 Vedanti like her, in a humble way, I mean. I will post you more points, when I get them, to give you an idea. But she's simple, royal, introverted, easy to approach, and famous for utilizing the method of long bhattis to overcome problems or achieve a big goal (new center in Nairobi to be inaugurated for Global Cooperation, if I recall). More things I 'd like to share about different SS and different attitudes and impact they have. I will do it later in another topic's space. Love. A

arjun

PBK

Post13 Mar 2007

Sister Di,
Thanks for those nice words. Yes, most BKs are very good as human beings. When I was a BK and was undergoing departmental training for my first job in an alien city, and was worried about my meals, a (working) BK Sister living at the local BK center used to cook food for me affectionately in the evening and packed tiffin for me to carry for the next day.

But I dream of the day when all BKs treat ex-BKs (including PBKs) with the same affection and when all PBKs treat all ex-PBKs with the same affection.

Alladin,
Thanks for that information on Sister Vedanti. I had actually meant to ask whether you had any personal interaction with her?
Regards,
OGS,
Arjun.
Next

Return to BK