The BKs in Poland - statistics

für Deutsch sprechende Ex-Bks aus Nederland, Osteuropa und Russisch-Staaten, ihre Freunde und Familie

raistlin75

The BKs in Poland - statistics

Post07 Sep 2014

The Central Statistical Office in Poland publishes every 3 years a two-year report, (the actual ones are from the period of 2006-2008 and 2009-2011) about "Religious beliefs, nationality and ethnical societies in Poland".

Unfortunately these documents are available only in Polish (I hope, in the future there will be reports in English too, because the CSO site is under re-construnction and bilingual - in Polish and in English), and rather quite large - have over 400 pages, so I extracted from the PDFs only these pages related to the BKs and converted to images (jpg), which are quite large (I did not want to mess with it in post because of the limits about dimensions and size), so I upload them to file server (they are available for 90 days from the last download) in case someone is interested:

The headers of the tables are from left to right: Voivodeship, Members, Teachers, Places of cult (centres).

The BKs in Poland in CSO Report 2006-2008
The BKs in Poland in CSO Report 2009-2011

The BKs were and are most active in the voivodships in central part of Poland (probably because of the main "headquarters" in Warsaw - Mazovian voivodeship and the neighbouring voivodeship of Lodz), and also in Pomerania (Tricity) which is second biggest area of BK activity after Warsaw at the moment. The Pomerania and Mazovia are also areas of greatest significance in the BK movement in Poland. Tricity, especially Gdansk, - the cradle of the "Solidarity" movement (Stocznia Gdanska, Lech Walesa, etc.), and Warsaw - the capital of Poland.

So, as I posted in the past, the number of members and teachers in Poland comparing to the beginning of the 90's (according to my personal experiences and observations while being an active BK) dramatically decreased (from over 200 members and about 30 teachers in the mid of 90's - 1994) and the number of the Polish BKs remains rather stable (from 2005) in the level of over 120 members altogether, and about 15 teachers at the moment (until 2011).

The next CSO report from 2012-2014 will be published probably in spring 2015.

Return to Osteuropa