Scientists establish the cellular basis of memory

Scientific challenges to the beliefs promoted by the Brahma Kumaris so called "World Spiritual University"

ex-l

ex-BK

Scientists establish the cellular basis of memory

Post17 Aug 2017

Neuroscientists working on memory formation have establish the cellular basis of memory by discovering methods by which memories could be turned on and turned off, implanting and erasing specific fears into the brains of rats.
“This is the best evidence so far available, period,” says Eric Kandel, a neuroscientist at Columbia University in New York. Kandel, who shared the 2000 Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine for his work unravelling the molecular basis of memory.

From; 'Light switches memories on and off' and here, in 'Nature magazine'.

GuptaRati 6666

Re: Scientists establish the cellular basis of memory

Post18 Aug 2017

The use of the novel technique of optogenetics and Pavlovian psychology by Malinow and team at the University of California, San Diego, to demonstrate long term potentiation associated with memory is ingenious and exciting. The recently published studies by the Malinow team reminds me of the pioneering investigations of Ader and Cohen in behavioral modulation of the immune system in mice, which gave birth to the then novel discipline of psychoneuroimmunology. I do think that optogenetics in combination with Pavolian neurospychology as a a tool for validating models of consciousness interacting with the brain, including the hypotheses of Penrose and Hameroff. which have as their foundation concepts in neuroquantology. The Hameroff-Penrose Orch OR model or orchestrated objective reduction model has as its foundation concepts from neuroquantology.

Thank you for the post Ex-I. About two years ago I visited the campus of the University of California, San Diego. I was in San D where some my research teams were presenting papers at an international science conference. It is a gorgeous campus with a view to the Pacific Ocean and produces its own green clean energy.

Return to Scientific questions for BKs