Distractions during meditation practice

for ex-BKs, exiting BKs, Friends & Family of BKs and newcomers to the forum.

Mr Green

ex-BK

Re: Distractions during meditation practice

Post09 Jan 2017

I feel I could still do it, no idea what it is though

ex-l

ex-BKWSU

Post10 Jan 2017

Pink Panther wrote:And for me, as I also stated, there was an ever growing gap between the experience and the "truth” surrounding it, an increasing gap with plausibility and relevance.

And that's it. I agree with that.

The more aware and "enlightened" you become, the more you see the gap between the experience and what you are told it is and the untruth surrounding it until at some point it becomes unbearable and you have to move on.

It's just sad it interferes with actual meditation practises and, I think, sad that many ex-BKs carry it on with them ... remaining "open channels", to be used as "serviceable" by the BK leadership or their gods, whatever they might be. Open to having their strings pulled.

Like the proverbial monk crossing the river and carrying the boat on with him after he's on the other side.

Maui

Post12 Sep 2017

I've had experiences like Mr. Green; many ... some in Madhuban ... that were profound, and many back home in the USA at the centers.

Since I am feeling more and more apart from BK life, I seem to have more and more trouble with meditating ... which has never been before. Perhaps it is what has been said before ... using all BK terms and thinking, it's quite confusing and unsettling now to meditate.

Pink Panther

Post12 Sep 2017

using all BK terms and thinking, it's quite confusing and unsettling now to meditate.

Meditating is a verb, just like running, for example. OK we know running can be good for you but where do you run, how do you run? Run to the wrong place and you may get mugged or shot at. Run in a big city and you may strengthen muscles but end up damaging your lungs from pollution or damaging your knee and ankle joints from impacting hard pavements continually.

If you run to have a brief respite from the dramas of a volatile domestic situation, how is that different to someone who meditates to escape the unpleasant dynamics of their own mind or life situation? Sure, its better to have that respite, but wouldn't it be better to practically change the unpleasant dynamics?

ex-l likes to use the analogy of nutrition, that BK spirituality is a ”fast-food’ type of meditation, cheap (they teach it for free!) and easily accessible (there’s a branch near you!) and has that "smells good, tastes good’ aspect that the fast food industry have adopted from the food technology industry’s refining of artificial flavours and aromas (BKs use all manner of superficial slogans, additives and philosophies from anywhere and everywhere without any depth - all artificial). You fill up and feel good for the moment - and the lack of real nourishment leaves you wanting more. Great business model.

If the BKs were really about others and not themselves, they would, like a good doctor or teacher, help people to get better and not come back, to graduate so as to live their lives in a fuller freer way. But no, that's not what they are really about.
Previous

Return to Newcomers