Today is a blessed day

for ex-BKs, exiting BKs, Friends & Family of BKs and newcomers to the forum.

rayoflight

beyond BK

Re: Today is a blessed day

Post19 Mar 2009

ex-l, I would like to say that it was probably both. I can pick up thought processes but I think an active channeling or "overshadowing" (I have never heard this term before) was definitely involved. I want to add something else to this post that has occured recently.

Since I have basically been retreating from everything for the last six months, and have been minimally exposed to both the BKs and the world itself, it has enabled me to live in a being state that at times made me feel like I was wasting my life, and at other times I realized that I was clearing out stuff. I have been vegetarian for a long time and last year my hair started to fall out, and I was always tired and moody. I was also getting sick a lot. So I started to take vitamins and minerals and slowly but surely everything returned to normal. I even started to nibble at fish and meat but secretively because I am not ready to let on about these changes to my family.

Last week an ex-BK Sister who is a good friend told me that a clairvoyant told her she was possessed by a force she had felt in her energy field. Two other psychics confirmed it too. We both had a similar experience while we were in Gyan that an overcharge of energy blew some fuses in our nervous systems which caused us to shake uncontrollably. I could no longer take drishti as my entire body would begin to shake. Thankfully, my shaking stopped after a few months but it's been over ten years for my friend. One of the psychics finally removed the "force" from her energy field and she says that within a few days she was much better. I immediately related to this so I planned to do the same thing with the psychic. But since I have a pretty strong psychic connection myself, I decided to try a meditation on my own to lead the "force" to the light and to kindly ask it to leave me be. A few days later I found this forum. Is it a coincidence? I then emailed my center and kindly asked them to stop sending me the Murli points because this was no longer the right path for me.

It is trure that this forum brings up the past and reliving all these stories by sharing them can be a bit difficult. But it is important to share our experiences as we must heal and we must understand what has happened to us. It is better to do it now than to wake up in another ten years feeling even worse.

When I met the BKs I did not want to live in this world anymore. I had gone through some major heartbreak and felt that if this was what the world had to offer then I did not want any part of it. I was not afraid to die. I just stopped eating. Then I met the BKs and was "saved." So in effect, I did not end up living in this world but in the BK world and in some other dimension for a long time, avoiding relationships and social events and sitting with Baba as much as I could. It is only now that I realize that I must go back to the world and live a normal life again.

I still have time to get remarried if I choose to and even have a child but I cannot wait any longer. Even though this has always been my wish, I was convinced that there was no point in doing anything anymore since the world was just a mess and would be ending soon anyway. I would like to get back to work and get my life back and try to face my fears. I have not lived in a center and have always had my physical freedom, but what I am talking about is psychological and emotional freedom.

Terry

ex-BK

Post19 Mar 2009

Hi Ray of Light

A belated welcome to you.

The visual experiences you describe are very familiar to me - before, during and after BK life.

What I am curious about is your reaction to your "visions" or "imaging". Most people who experience these in meditation use it as confirmation of their practice, or of their spirituality. You however mostly reacted with wariness. If you don't mind, can you explore that space between the experience and your reaction a little more please? You say in your first post that, "you never intended to be part of this group" - do you think during all your time with BKs that attitude was working in the background?

rayoflight

beyond BK

Post19 Mar 2009

Hello Terry,

I have never been a "group" person. It is highly unusual for me to be part of any group because I am not a follower. I am more of a leader. The fact that I was so enthusiastic about my spiritual awakening and mission with the BK's gave me a purpose I respected and felt it gave my life new meaning. So that is why I joined.

Yes, the psychic phenomenon often acted as a confirmation, but I questioned the m.o. (modus operandi) of the BK operation which was to pull people in and then let them figure out the rest on their own. I found that a bit cold to say the least. It was as though they were just interested in adding notches to their lipstick cases if you know what I mean. Since everything trickles down from the top, I began to question the "top"- the messenger and the guardians of the operation. To me the behavior of the followers was an indication of the nature of the messenger so this is why I became hypervigilent.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post19 Mar 2009

terry wrote:The visual experiences you describe are very familiar to me - before, during and after BK life.

Terry, you mentioned your LSD habit before guy is this what you mean by "visuals" (man) ... but have you *really* been having visions of Lakshmi and Narayan since leaving the Brahma Kumaris?

I think we ought to be a little discerning in such matters and not muddy a lot of quite different phenonema up together.

Terry

ex-BK

Post20 Mar 2009

ex-l wrote: you mentioned LSD habit before.... is this what you mean by "visuals"

Mescalin, LSD psilocybin & other hallucinogens may be accelarants to the process - psychotropic drugs have been used through the ages by shamans, saddhus, priests and priestesses etc to alter perception. But in my last post I was actually referring to meditation experiences.

Before Raj Yoga, I would do some hatha Yoga and then do a Third Eye meditation based on Buddhist and other stuff. I had experiences of golden red light, light in the forehead, auras etc. I would share "dristi" with friends before I'd heard that word, we mutually felt and saw light and sparks etc. even physical force behind that (Chi?).

After Raja Yoga, if I still myself in meditations, and if I want experiences to be more visual - I can direct the meditation that way, but rarely do - I usually focus more on feeling. I am a very visual, imag-inative person working in visual arts nearly all my life. The artist "sees" differently, and we are all artists potentially. I think this imaging aspect is a primitive, atavistic.

There's the frequencies of the spectrum that we do not normally perceive.The way we ''see" changes from when we are born, go through childhood, and so on. Rudolf Steiner talks of how young children "see" differently - noticing things adults miss, missing things adults see. There's the light entering the eye, there's also the brain behind that. What is visualised can be similar (morphing faces, auras) but the reactions and interpretations can be unique (like rayoflight's).

Often to understand something, it is good to take the idea to an extreme to clarify - so I put forward the phenomenon of "Synesthesia" (a condition where some people "mix up" their sense responses, they see particular colours when they smell a certain thing etc) -it maybe possible that these visual experiences in meditation are a form of that?

I know that I have experienced what rayoflight has described very often, (not Lakshmi Narayan though). I have never felt it to be a "presence" the way the person in front of me was present, it was more like a projection of a slide, as if I could "morph" it consciously - if only I knew how.

rayoflight

beyond BK

Post20 Mar 2009

I think that some of us are predisposed to imaging and psychic phenomenon. Personally, I could not handle recreational drugs because my trips were just so wild I thought I would lose my mind. A contact high was sufficient. I could simply pick up on other people's high. Scientific studies have been done on the correlation between our brains and mystical experiences. Here is the information if anyone is interested:

Do religious experiences come from God, or are they merely the random firing of neurons in the brain? Drawing on his own research with Carmelite nuns, neuroscientist Mario Beauregard shows that genuine, life-changing spiritual events can be documented. He offers compelling evidence that religious experiences have a nonmaterial origin, making a convincing case for what many in scientific fields are loath to consider—that it is God who creates our spiritual experiences, not the brain.

Beauregard and O'Leary explore recent attempts to locate a "God gene" in some of us and claims that our brains are "hardwired" for religion—even the strange case of one neuroscientist who allegedly invented an electromagnetic "God helmet" that could produce a mystical experience in anyone who wore it. The authors argue that these attempts are misguided and narrow-minded, because they reduce spiritual experiences to material phenomena.

Many scientists ignore hard evidence that challenges their materialistic prejudice, clinging to the limited view that our experiences are explainable only by material causes, in the obstinate conviction that the physical world is the only reality. But scientific materialism is at a loss to explain irrefutable accounts of mind over matter, of intuition, willpower, and leaps of faith, of the "placebo effect" in medicine, of near-death experiences on the operating table, and of psychic premonitions of a loved one in crisis, to say nothing of the occasional sense of oneness with nature and mystical experiences in meditation or prayer. Traditional science explains away these and other occurrences as delusions or misunderstandings, but by exploring the latest neurological research on phenomena such as these, The Spiritual Brain gets to their real source.

Mario Beauregard's groundbreaking work on the neurobiology of mystical experience at the University of Montreal has received international media coverage. Before becoming a faculty member there, he conducted postdoctoral research at the University of Texas and the Montreal Neurological Institute (McGill University). Because of his research into the neuro-science of consciousness, he was selected by the World Media Net to be among the "One Hundred Pioneers of the 21st Century." He lives in Montreal, Canada.

The Spiritual Brain: a Neuroscientist's Case for the Existence of the Soul by Mario Beauregard, Denyse O'Leary
Previous

Return to Newcomers