Terminology: Shiv Baba?

for ex-BKs, exiting BKs, Friends & Family of BKs and newcomers to the forum.

milanmagan

non-BK

Terminology: Shiv Baba?

Post28 May 2007

Hi guys,

First time poster, longtime reader.

I am a bit confused about terminology; could someone please help me out? I wanted to know what the difference was between Bap Dada and Shiv Baba? (In the literature they use Shiv Baba when talking about Dada Lekhraj's reception of visions, but the name of the movement is Brahma Kumari?). I am just a bit confused.

Thanks! :wink:

abrahma kumar

friends or family of a BK

Re: Terminology: Shiv Baba?

Post29 May 2007

milanmagan wrote:I am a bit confused about terminology; could someone please help me out? I wanted to know what the difference was between Bap Dada and Shiv Baba? (In the literature they use Shiv Baba when talking about Dada Lekhraj's reception of visions, but the name of the movement is Brahma Kumari?) I am just a bit confused.
Thanks! :wink:

Now, doesn't this post highlight the need for the BKWSU to free-up a little. Milanmagan, you have to take the BKWSU seven day meditation course, and beyond that you study the BKWSU Murli, before you can begin to get a self-informed opinion about that. I am smiling. What a simple question! But oh, what a question! Maybe the BKWSU can answer that one for us. :roll:

Milanmagan, in response I will appear to digress for a while but bear with for a while, I hope that we will get back online. Soul, I advise you to seek a second opinion about everything you read on the www about the BKWSU. Why? Chances are that it has been doctored! By the BKWSU themselves. So be careful about what you use and/or come to regard as definitive in your study of this institution. Thanks.

Elsewhere on this site you will see posts that unearth and discuss the BKWSU in its Daughters of Brahma (Brahma Kumari) flavour. A scholar would observe that in the West that historical essence attached to the BKWSU has been downplayed. However the literal translation of Brahma Kumari is as you say Daughter of Brahma. In the BKWSU the term Brahma Kumar commonly refers to a male student of Raja Yoga; and Brahma Kumari a female student doing the same. You need to get hold of the BKWSU publication Adi Dev which talks about Lekhraj Kirplani (later to be known as Brahma Baba i.e Adi Dev after he became host to the Shiva (God) soul). Term Brahma Kumar (BK) has become through popular use to refer to any individual that studies Raja Yoja with the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University.

The BKWSU student becomes familiar with the term BapDada in the BKWSUs most important spiritual literature known as the Murli.

The Murli is regarded as the words of God (Shiva) spoken through a human Lekhhraj Kirplani (given the name Prajapita Brahma by Shiva) at times when Shiva was descended into the body of Dada Lekhraj for the purpose of revealing to the BKs (and eventually the world of souls) the true nature of God, Souls and the Eternal World Drama the combined entity has become regarded as BapDada (the name Prajapita Brahma has come to be shortened as Brahma).

I am sure that there will be much more said on this so we give others a chance.

AbeK

paulkershaw

ex-BK

Post29 May 2007

milanmagan wrote:I am a bit confused about terminology; could someone please help me out? I wanted to know what the difference was between Bap Dada and Shiv Baba?

Bon Guirno Milanmagan

Welcome to the forum. May your time here be fruitful and enlightening and we welcome your comments and queries. We are sure, that like you, there are many more readers then there are posters so its wonderful to have you finally with us.

Don't be confused. The information you seek is all highlighted within this forum and for you specifically you will read more if your browse through the BKWSU History section of the forum.

Please go through it all in your own time and then if we can still assist with more info or explanation then please do ask. The question you posed could perhaps take a long posting and will just simply be a repeat of everything previously posted in the forum.

Basically, the difference between BapDada and Shiv Baba is that Shiv Baba is seen as G-d and BapDada is seen as the combination of G-d and the BKWSU founder Brahma Baba (so the name becomes Baba+Dada or BapDada).

Hope this is OK and you will let us know what you find? Looking forward to all your input in forum and once again, a warm welcome to this forum. Mille Grazie.
In Light ~P~

milanmagan

non-BK

Post30 May 2007

Buongiorno Paulkershaw. Thanks for that - I am browsing through the history now. Thanks also for your explanation!

You too, Abrahma Kumar. Cheers. I am intrigued, however, by the way that you draw a distinction between the terms 'Brahma Kumari' and 'BKSWU' ...

proy

ex-BK

Post31 May 2007

milanmagan wrote:I wanted to know what the difference was between Bap Dada and Shiv Baba?

Shiva Baba is the BK God. BapDada is Shiva Baba channeled through one of the elder Sisters via BB (the spirit of Lekhraj Kirpalani). The Sister who is the medium is usually called Dadi Gulzar, but can also be known under other names.

These channellings take place during the BapDada season, which is in the winter time, in Shantivan, Mount Abu. They are recorded, written down, edited, and given out as "Avyakt Murlis" to the BKs.

paulkershaw

ex-BK

Post01 Jun 2007

milanmagan wrote:Buongiorno Paulkershaw. Thanks for that - I am browsing through the history now. Thanks also for your explanation! You too, Abrahma Kumar. Cheers. I am intrigued, however, by the way that you draw a distinction between the terms 'Brahma Kumari' and 'BKSWU' ...

Simple answer (I think...)!

A Brahma Kumari actually means "daughter of Brama" referring to a (normally unmarried ...) female follower who 'belongs" to the BKWSU in it's various guises (see forum home page for all the different names they use).

BKWSU=Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual University. A Brahma Kumar would normally refer to a non-married male follower of same. Married people may be known under other 'titles' but in general any member could mean either a male or female follower of the Organisation and they would use the title BK before their name i.e BK Tom or BK Indra etc.

Return to Newcomers