BK Hansa Raval; cancer cure claims & tax free future

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post19 Jun 2007

I am still picking over the original and cowardly anonymous bully's letter. What a dishonest distortion!

In favor of establishing good relationships, I will not pick it over but leave it to the conscience of the author.

I would though like Mike, even better his wife, to take the orthodox 7 Days Course ... or to confirm that they have taken it ... and to hear what his impressions of it all are. Otherwise, sadly, there will be little commonground for us to discuss matter on.

I would really like to see if he is willing to entrust his wife's mind, and their marital relationship, to the BKWSU.

Mr Green

ex-BK

Post19 Jun 2007

Sounds like Mikepeace is a BK after all :lol:.

abrahma kumar

friends or family of a BK

I am a BK too & I hope you like your Authority Mighty

Post19 Jun 2007

mr green wrote:Sounds like Mikepeace is a BK after all :lol:

Mr, green i am rotflmao. :lol: what a "bluff" that would be if true - surely a cunning ruse fit enough for any Robert Ludlum thriller. Talk about laugh! But seriously, I do not believe so or else it would mean that the BKWSU's VIP rosary is more heavyweight than i would ever have dreamt.

Hi, mikepeace, are you a student with the Brahma Kumaris World Spiritual university? Anyway, be that as it will Sir, seeing as you seem so well connected and all, do you think you can help us to gain access to some of the wideranging articles on the BKWSU that get 'disappeared' from the www? If you could Sir that would be such a wonderful gesture of brotherhood toward the whole of humanity, if you know what i mean. Thanks in advance.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post12 Sep 2007

My geography sucks ... I just realise that Kuala Lumpur is in Malaysia and ethic Chinese especially English speaking have a far easier ride than in Indonesia. I lose two point for that!

arjun

PBK

Post12 Sep 2007

Omshanti.

Today I was going through the latest edition of Gyanamrit magazine published by the BKs. In the last pages of the magazine, there is an article by BK Hansa Raval of Texas, US, where she recounts her experience of becoming a BK by the grace of Dadi Prakashmani's first visit to US in 1970s and how she became instrumental in starting the Godly services in US. In the end she says she is instrumental for 3 centers in US.

Regards,
OGS,
Arjun

paulkershaw

ex-BK

Post13 Sep 2007

ex-l wrote:My geography sucks ... I just realise that Kuala Lumpur is in Malaysia and ethic Chinese especially English speaking have a far easier ride than in Indonesia. I lose two point for that!

Hmmm - too much time in front of the keyboard and not enough time on a plane, eh?

tinydot

ex-BK

Post13 Sep 2007

ex-l wrote:My geography sucks ... I just realise that Kuala Lumpur is in Malaysia and ethic Chinese especially English speaking have a far easier ride than in Indonesia. I lose two point for that!

We understand ... and that is why i immediatley posted after your post to clarify to readers where Calvin Chin lives.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post13 Sep 2007

arjun wrote:In the end she says she is instrumental for 3 centers in US.

The official papers say 2 centers and a sub-center.

I did a Google search for "Hansa Raval Cancer Cure" and it comes up with 311 pages.

Most repeat the same claims about a 1980s seminar that BK style "Raja Yoga can cure 98% of cancers" in Oklahoma City. If Hansa is upset because the journalists faithfully reported her claims of the time, then I think that is outweighed by the value of the public concern about the false hopes such claims give cancer suffers.

Has there ever been an official withdrawal and correction of these statements on behalf the BKWSU or Janki Foundation?

I can see that she might be upset that the young journalist called her a "kook", i.e. nuts but then again, he might have been quoting another cancer expert. We really ought to check the sources on all this.

I think it would be a much more Brahmin thing to do to admit up to making a mistake out of enthusiasm for one's faith, we all did, and apologize instead of going on the war path.

tinydot

ex-BK

Post29 Sep 2007

It seems that Hansa Raval has lost the battle of facing insults and so jumped the gun by filing a dispute against this site without her having to do a dialogue based on facts and evidence.
FOUR FACES OF WOMAN

1st August 1998

Dr Raval described her response to racial and gender discrimination at the outset of her career in the U.S. Her reaction was to request a transfer, but her professor advised her to stay and learn from the situation as she had a lot to offer. She remained and learnt not to run away but to keep to her goal. The oath she took in the army was to defend her country from the enemy. Her enemy however, was the negativity within - fear and lack of courage to face insults and discrimination. The benefit she gained from her experiences enabled her to develop the art of detachment and to rely on her inner resources.

ex-l wrote:I did a Google search for "Hansa Raval Cancer Cure" and it comes up with 311 pages.

Yoga: Shown To Help Cure Cancer Patients

This article is authored by Shumam Fasi. Perhaps, mikepiece should send her/him the same letter quoting the DOD and the Pentagon.

GuptaRati 6666

Re: BK Hansa Raval; cancer cure claims & tax free future

Post01 Sep 2015

Dr. Horace E. Walcott, aka Errol Bhai, an ex-BK, has been exploring for more than three decades, the influences of Yoga meditation on the causes of cancer and cancer prevention. Before he became a toxicologist, he presented a paper as a veterinarian, at a medical conference AT Mount Abu, in 1985 on the influence of Yoga meditation on cancer. The foundation of the ability of Yoga meditation or mindfulness techniques in preventing cancer or curing cancer depends on the degree to which the altered states of consciousness can elicit Benson’s relaxation response (RR).

Investigations by Bashin et al (2013) have demonstrated that many forms of mindfulness meditation through the RR can cause beneficial effects in terms of nucleic acid transcription and translation. The cell signaling path way for inflammation is also a role in cancer formation. Studies have also demonstrated that the RR can elicit the changes through cell signal transduction or the biochemical communication pathways for cells. The cell signal pathways are the same pathways through which stress can exacerbate cancer formation at the molecular level or induce carcinogenesis.

An investigative team with Walcott has discussed recently the ability of altered states of consciousness to induce positive DNA/RNA changes (Sun, Thompson, Johanson, & Walcott, 2015). The changes are at the translational, transcriptional levels. In addition, induced changes in brain biochemistry demonstrated by PET scan imaging or MRI scan (Fox et al., 2014), have been demonstrated. Thus far, there are no documented studies demonstrating the effects of BKRJY on DNA/RNA transcription and translation.

At the experimental level, Walcott’s research focus has been in the areas of neuroendocrine toxicology and the biophysics of fish locomotion and biomimetics. In the 1990s, he co-developed with his major professor, W.R Hartley a test for low-dose, sub-lethal carcinogens in water. The animal model used in their investigation was the Japanese Medaka, Oryzias latipes (Walcott, 2006).

In the summer of 1983 Walcott, BK Barbara Moore and another RJY student from the Tuskegee RJY Center were interviewed by the NBC affiliate, Channel 12 on the medical effects of meditation. The name of the program was Focus and the reporter was Kim Davis.

The 30 min video was screened in Madhuban in 1985 and was received a cold reception. In almost a quarter of a century, except for one occasion, Walcott has not been in contact with BKSU.

References
    Bhasin, M. K., Dusek, J. A., Chang, B., Joseph, M. G., Denninger, J. W., Fricchione, G. L., & ... Libermann, T. A. (2013). Relaxation response induces temporal transcriptome changes in energy metabolism, insulin secretion and inflammatory pathways. Plos One, 8(5), e62817. http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0062817
    Fox, K. C., Nijeboer, S., Dixon, M. L., Floman, J. L., Ellamil, M., Rumak, S. P., & ... Christoff, K. (2014). Review: Is meditation associated with altered brain structure? A systematic review and meta-analysis of morphmetric neuroimaging in meditation practitioners. Neuroscience and Biobehavioral Reviews, 43:48-73. http://dx.doi.org/ 10.1016/j.neubiorev.2014.03.016. Epub 2014 Apr 3
    Sun, A., Thompson, C., Johanson, J., and Walcott, H.E. (2015, February). Healthy aging strategies: The one world-one health, complementary and alternative medicine and health approach. Winter Institute, ATSU, Mesa, Arizona.
    Walcott, H.E. (2006). The Clinical management of a colony of Japanese medaka, Orizias latipes.
    Proceedings of the Annual Conference of the American Association of Zoo Veterinarians, Tampa, Florida.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post01 Sep 2015

I can imagine the BK response of that time ... a sort of quizzical confusing asking themselves, "what's the point of curing cancer when the whole world is going to be destroyed next year (1986 was keymarked for Destruction".

Now it would be, "which VIP can we invite today using this as bait?".

Then it would be marketed in an amateur fashion.

Did Raval ever do and publish any research?

Has the BKWS so called University ever publish one paper of note in its 80 years of existence and multi-million dollar budget?

Or have they just spent their time investing their money on real estate (despite Destruction still being imminent)?

I am sure there are efficacious elements to spiritual practises. We know they are, even science has acknowledged them.

Unfortunately there are no profits in it for the big pharmaceutical companies, so they are unlikely ever to be taken seriously.

"Evidence-based science" is the mantra of the day ... no profits equal no funding, no model equals no results.

GuptaRati 6666

Post03 Sep 2015

I am not aware of the US Armed Forces policies on publish or perish for medics. I do know that some of my medic friends at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology (AFIP) in Washington,DC are well published. In Dr. Raval's case, I am not sure. However, like her colleagues at the AFIP, she may have been active publishing in peer-reviewed journals.

In my literature searches I did observe some papers on the anthropology of the BKs by BKs who were conducting dissertation research for their PhDs. There were also some papers on the psychophysiology of RJY. However, they were not to the level of papers that have been published by the Herbert Benson Mind-Body Institute at Harvard University.
Previous

Return to Commonroom