How did we fool ourselves into believing the Brahma Kumaris?

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

Terry

ex-BK

Re: How did we fool ourselves into believing the Brahma Kumaris?

Post20 Feb 2009

deccani wrote:I would say that we are the "collateral damage" of our parents' quest for truth.
ex-l wrote: hear what you are saying Deccani and I think we should all take time to contemplate on it

Let's not get to close to our own navels here. Children are always brought up and influenced by their parents beliefs, whatever they are.

Part of growing up is the battle we go through: of accepting, rejecting, rebelling, re-evaluating and realising from all that they gave us as we seek to be what is "us", and to see what is "them" and what is universal.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post20 Feb 2009

terry wrote:Let's not get to close to our own navels here. Children are always brought up and influenced by their parents beliefs, whatever they are.

But not all parents in bondage to a channeled spiritual entity thinking it is God of all religions, an imminent and desirable End of the World, and a gang of pension, free labor and bank balance sucking old crones ... never mind addressing the "detachment" issue.

Anyway, we are discussing Brahma Kumarism on this forum not other beliefs or general childcare. Has your child ever asked you if you belief what your wife believes to be true? What did you say?

On this forum early on, we had one concerned mother whose grandmother had converted to the Brahma Kumaris and was secretly taking the grandchildren away and telling them about Destruction and the Golden Age. The kids were coming back and asking their mother question as if it was all true.

"What did you do in the Golden Age, mum?" etc.

celticgyan

ex-BK

Post20 Feb 2009

I don't believe children should be taught any religion at all. However, the mainstream religions are no different. I was told all about sky pixies when I was a child. Some 5 year olds can recite the entire Koran for instance. Religious indoctronation is everywhere. The BKs did not invent it for sure.

Terry

ex-BK

Post20 Feb 2009

Sorry ex-l, have to strongly disagree.

There are lots of religions and denominations/cults with apocalyptic beliefs, self-aggrandising, proselytising, guilt mongering, even spirit possession etc. I know this is a BK forum, thanks for the reminder ... I am confident you'd find parallel discussion groups on other sites for other ex-believers dealing with identical issues on most aspects.

It's the old mindset I mentioned when I first joined this forum, so many still reacting according to BK patterns in all kinds of ways, or the patterns that led to becoming a BK. That need to think somehow, "we are unique, we are special." BKs are somehow different to other religions, not governed by regular human, religious, social, dynamics (or even spiritualist if you believe that). The BKs must be extra diabolical. Otherwise I would not have been fooled, cause I am smart. Gimme a break ...

Sorry, we are just as dumb as people who are drawn into other cults and sects - Pentecostalist, other born-again and evangelicals, Moonies, Divine Light, you name it. (If you can find it, check out the documentary "Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple" - it's about an hour or more long - but WOW, how "normal" it all was).

It is an inflation of self to think we are better than the rest, and so the BKs must therefore be "better" at their game. As you have said yourself - after all these years, where are they? What have they really achieved?

It's just that one bait appealed to you, other baits (from other groups) appeal to others. BKs & ex BK do have particular issues based on particular beliefs, but generally comparisons are easily found around us in the West, through history (see your posts on Christianity circa 1000AD & millenarianism), and other current Hindustani cults.

So, I am just adding a corrective, to keep perspective. BKs are right on one thing - Nothing new.

celticgyan

ex-BK

Post20 Feb 2009

There's a good film, "Irish" which delves into childhood and shows how priests and school teachers used to instill fear of fire and brimstone into kids as young as 5. First communions? What the hell is that about? Another interesting thing I saw here was how kids got abused (not always sexually) by nuns and teachers back in the 1950s-1970s.

When asked if such people could be prosecuted, a legal person said that at the time such practices were not illegal or considered abuse. So hitting children in the 1960s was considered OK and not a crime. In any case, the BKs could learn a lot about indoctrination from the Catholic Church.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post20 Feb 2009

Well, I just say the same thing.

This a forum for ex- or exiting BKs and the friends and family of BKs documenting the Brahma Kumari experience. Two wrongs being the same, or someone doing it worse, is of no consequence.

And if you are not entirely wrong, then you are certainly unqualified to speak about spiritualism or the active spiritualist or psychic part of Brahma Kumarism which you are trying to downplay as some acceptable sociological condition.

By your own logic or theory, you also would be further partly wrong because - as I said - the active spiritualistic element of the Brahma Kumarism are being passed off as God, the Supreme Soul, and in the past; Brahma, Krishna and so on. Far more potent archetypes than merely a messianic pastor whose feet of clay we can see and clap in irons if he steps over the line.

For all your knowing, you don't understand the nature of spirit. Nothing you have written has shown any degree of experience or knowledge of the active nature of spiritualism. All I have read so far is an experience of what it was not, the usual dry homilies trotted out by the Skeptics and New Age gentleman clubs alike ... and an attempt to shoehorn it into a wonderful 'one-size-fits-all' equation.

But, yes, children and individuals in other spiritualist cults (including the minor followings of mediums) fall under similar spiritualist influences beyond conceptual archetypes ones ... And, yes, to date the size of the Catholic Church's crimes are 'far greater' than those of the Brahma Kumaris. However, so too is the Vatican's property portfolio far greater and so perhaps we can postulate an equation that relates the size of a religion's wealth to the number of individuals it has to abuse in order to create that wealth ... in the hope that you will be inspired to work together with us in order to stop the Brahma Kumaris from doing so.

Otherwise, it is just all more 'armchair spirituality'. "Bubble gum for the mind", as a friend used to say, and someone else's second hand bubble gum at that.

celticgyan

ex-BK

Post20 Feb 2009

ex-l, you're a bit off the track here. Although Jesus supposedly said he was Son of Man, the majority of Christians, rightly or wrongly equate Jesus with God - as part of the Holly Trinity. Likewise in Islam, although Mohammed was not seen as God, his word is taken as directly from God. Compare and contrast with Dadi Gulzar. We don't know if Mohammed went into trance - or Jesus for that matter.

It's all the same stuff. You are being blinded by the fact that the BK stuff is recent and using different words. The BKs are a religion, they say they are not, but they are. Mohammed also predicted an end to this world - ditto in the Bible. Jesus is supposed to return at the end. The BKs also believe this though with different interpretation. Christians have prayer, BKs have meditation. Both have what they would call "knowledge".

You also appear to be suggesting that maybe there really is a God and the BK one is the wrong one! Well, call me naive but the simplest explanation is that there is no God and they are ALL wrong - all religions. Now I have made it easy for you.

desi_exbk

ex-BK

Post20 Feb 2009

terry wrote:Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple" ..."

I hope you are not suggesting that we should be happy that BKWSU did not organize mass suicides and made our parents shove 'cool-aid' down our throats!!

I would aruge that Destruction + detachment + celibacy together make a potential enough cocktail that could drive someone to kill themselves. It is especially difficult in teenage years - which as such is a very turbulent time in one's life. There is good data on the BK suicides ... now add 3 more to that. 2 Bros and 1 Sister (not sure if she was surrendered or in-trial). Those Bros were my peers - one from the same center and the other guy from the same zone. One killed himself after marraige and a child, the other one while he was still a Kumar. Don't know much details about the Sister's case (I think she killed herself in center).

Also, most of the doomsday cults cited are all foreign. How many Desi doomsday cults do we know ... and how many of them sell Destruction in a year or two? (Well, that time frame has changed over the years ... from couple to few to ten to 'till you are ready'). Oooh ... Advance Party is waiting, we need to hurry and get ready ... (to die, ofcourse!).

We are talking about Kids and the aftermath of BK Tsumani in someone's family and life ... Well friends, in Indian context - where resources are scarce and opportunites few - it is much more difficult to stand up on our feet once we past a certain window in life.

celticgyan

ex-BK

Post20 Feb 2009

Incidentally, the doomsday scare that is raging today is not unique. In Europe, as the year 1000 approached, there was considerable civil unrest, and when the end did not occur on schedule, many even criticized the church. Perhaps in response to this backlash, a series of genocide followed: heretics were targeted for extermination and witches burnt at the stake. The situation was bloody, and is warning enough for any rational being today.

The Christian tradition of the Antichrist finds an ally in Islam. One of the faith's basic tenets is a belief in D-day or Qayamat. Says Delhi-based Islamic scholar Saniyasnain Khan: "We do not try to predict any date for Qayamat. Only Allah is aware of that time. At this time, Khan says, "mountains will be razed to the ground, floods shall engulf the planet. All of humanity, including the dead, will be called forth. The good shall go to Jannat (heaven) and the evil to Jahannum (hell). Earth will be no more". End of story? Perhaps. But, says Khan: "The essence of Qayamat is to remind humanity that he alone is responsible for all his actions. We are not waiting for the world to end. We know it will. But till then, Allah wants us to aspire for the good and eschew the evil."

Hmmm, heard that somewhere else ... ??

ex-l

ex-BK

Post21 Feb 2009

Yes, I am probably a born-again polytheist or animist. Funnily enough, I actually agree with the views Joseph Campbell had himself labelled as "anti-semitic" for ... that Yahweh/Allah was only some jumped up tribal god with world domination plans, just like the Brahma Kumaris' Shiva/BapDada spirit. Thankfully, Shiva/BapDada is not so keen on rape, murder and military operations as Yahweh was ... unfortunately, Shiva/BapDada is rather more keen on the Final Solution for humanity though. Nuclear Holocaust.

Remember, it is written in the Gyan that the he/they and the Brahma Kumaris will "give the scientist the courage" to use the nuclear arsenal. That is not a metaphor ... "The bombs have been made, they will be used".
celticgyan wrote:ex-l You're a bit off the track here. Although Jesus supposedly said he was Son of Man, the majority of Christians, rightly or wrongly equate Jesus with God.

No, not at all. I was being very specific. A 'comparable' - and I am disappointed by you as a trained professional within science or engineering not picking this up - would be a local shop owner-turned-psychic - in this day and age - who thought they were the reincarnated Jesus, believed the spirit entity they were channeling was God the Father and the Holy Ghost ... and that they were to become Moses and Abraham in the future ... and have "angels" possessing their young relatives for days on end. That does not really happen down the local mosque very often.

Islam and Christianity had their active part (if they ever had one - personally, I think the evidence is against the Jesus story as told) ages ago. Both passed a very long time ago from a charismatic phase to a dry liturgical one, via the political, and have become almost deviod of, or even antagonist towards, the active spiritualistic components when it again arose again; Shakers and Quakers, Modern Spiritualism, Charismatic Movement etc.

What 'The Knowledge' specifically tell us, from the Murlis, is that if we follow the Brahma Kumari path and practise their Raja Yoga, we will open ourselves up so that both the main spirit entity, and sub-servient spirit entities, will enter us and take control or influence our mind and body in order to fulfill this end ... Destruction. Of course, it is billed as "God" and "angelic deceased BKs" using us ... but who is to tell!?!

I think we have already established that the spirit entity that the Brahma Kumaris think is "god" falls short of reasonable expectations of supreme divinity.

So, the difference being, in an average church or mosque congregation you have the social and psychological (the 'archetypal' terry talks about). In the Brahma Kumaris you have the additional, active, unseen and independent influences upon our psyches, invoked at their mass seances in India and centers locally. Those meditation experiences are not just you doing them.

Funnily enough, Islam and the Korean can accomodate this view. There has been a little "science" around channelers, mostly based around J Z Knight ... perhaps it will get their in the end too. This does not mean I believe that Ramtha is right or even of any value. I am not putting much energy into arguing the science, or defending 'hide-your-cheque-book-yet-again' J Z Knight ... but you can start picking up threads here. I would say someone like Dr Krippner is at a level professionally, and in practise, that someone like terry would love to be and the schools involved are comparable or better than the last ones given.
Dr Stanley Krippner, Ph.D., Kent State/Saybrook Institute, studied Ms. Knight for a year, and conducted a battery of psychological and physiological tests with highly sensitive equipment. They concluded that the readings taken of Ms Knight's autonomic nervous system responses were so dramatic that the scientists categorically ruled out any possibility of conscious fakery, schizophrenia or multiple personality disorders.

Dr. Stanley Krippner, a psychologist and the leading parapsychology researcher in the U.S.A., described himself as "extremely skeptical and yet open-minded" before performing the tests in collaboration with neuroscientist Ian Wickramasekera, Ph.D., Saybrook Institute/Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback. Says Krippner "When we were testing JZ, Ian was quite astonished because the needles on his polygraph that were graphing all of the psychophysiological responses literally jumped from one part of the page to the other part of the page when Ramtha entered the picture.

And he had never seen such a dramatic change" says Krippner, "[We Were] very surprised because of the dramatic shift when Ramtha entered the picture." "She's not faking it," he added, "because when we hooked her up to test her physiological responses, we got results which could not have been manipulated." According to Ian Wickramasekera, when Knight went into trance and the spirit of Ramtha took over her body, her heart rate hit a low of 40 beats per minute and then raced to 180 beats per minute. In her normal, resting state, Knight's heart rate was between 85 and 90. "You might see this in someone who is jogging or having a serious panic attack, but at the time Ms. Knight was sitting completely still."

There is something out there. Mostly it is messing with our minds.

celticgyan

ex-BK

Post21 Feb 2009

ex-l,

I have to admit I don't really know who to believe any more. I have met many people who claim to be psychics who are definitely frauds (one even admitted this to me - they worked for the Psychic Hotline and made lots of money). This doesn't mean they are all frauds, of course, and one I met surprised me once and scared me a bit by what he knew. On the other hand, common sense tells me it is all rubbish. I would never say, "no", though!!

By the way you keep saying that you are surprised that I as a scientist should ... etc etc. Why?

Scientists are entitled to their opinions, some get it right and some get it wrong. I have been trying to explain this for the last two days. We are all humans. A scientist on TV will talk with a lot of authority and fool you into thinking that nobody knows any better than them. Don't let them pull the eyes over your wool! Science is the best we have got so far however, and we should cling to it.

I think you are hinting that the Chanelled entities that the BK are producing are not God but may be something more sinister? I have thought about that a lot in between thinking that all chanelling was bunk. I firmly believe these entities (if that is what they are) are benevolent to humans. I have a number of reasons for believing this. As for being God - of course not! (not that I believe there ever was one in the first place).

desi_exbk

ex-BK

Post21 Feb 2009

ex-l wrote:Dadi janki was outed by the journalist "Captain Porridge" no less ... that "no scientist ever made the statement that Dadi Janki was the 'Most Stable Mind in the World'" He could not find the department existing which they claimed made it and the university knew nothing about it ... it did not even make it into the Limca book of world records ... Madhuban (BK Karuna Shetty etc) promptly ignored them and keeps pumping out the 30 year old myth to the 'second class service' Indians ..."

Not just Indians, deceiving the entire WORLD! It is still openly used on the WORLDWIDEWEB!!.

Quoting from the website (Feb 20th, 2009): "In 1978 Scientists at the Medical and Science Research Institute at the University of Texas, USA examined the brain wave pattern of BK Dadi Janki, Joint Chief of Brahma Kumaris. She was described as the ‘most stable mind in the world’ as her mental state remained completely undisturbed whilst undergoing tests at the Institute"

Such a Fraud!!

Terry

ex-BK

Post21 Feb 2009

ex-l wrote:So, the difference being, in an average church or mosque congregation you have the social and psychological (the 'archetypal' terry talks about).

"Myth is [to ex-l] the other person's religion" - J Campbell (my parentheses ).
In the Brahma Kumaris you have the additional, active, unseen and independent influences upon our psyches, invoked at their mass seances in India and centers locally. Those meditation experiences are not just you doing them.

What ex-l is saying is in his last couple of posts is - "yes, we who became BKs are more special and more intelligent than all others who joined other sects and beliefs, mainstream or otherwise, so special in fact that it took the unique power and influence of spirits to affect us, otherwise we would surely not have been so easily fooled." He, of course, overlooks the actually named "Holy Spirit" that "enters" all Christian 'born agains', or gets people talking in tongues etc, and other phenomena.

As for Krippner' s experiment with the channeller - based on the excerpt to hand, all it says is that the responses recorded on the polygraph measurements were not fake, they were genuine reflexive responses. That is ALL it shows - everything else (including what caused them) is conjecture. The next step in the scientific method is to consider different possible causes, and test, so as to prove, or eliminate any which can be thought of, i.e. they may not think of the right cause to test for. (Like the earlier comment somewhere about one scientist saying that an electric light bulb will never work, while Edison was busy going through thousands of experiments, over ten thousand if I recall - and he almost gave up, until he suddenly intuited the solution - the need for a vacuum). Until the proof of cause, rather than measure of reaction, is conclusive, you can postulate spirits if you like and no one can prove it wrong.

BTW - this whole "spirit influence" idea - even when sitting in front of BapDada, we all mostly acknowledge we can feel a powerful presence. But I know this for myself. Having had one-on-one, face-to-face encounters probably 6-8 times (when we used to get individual blessings), and another 6 or so meetings as a group, getting toli and so on. Most times, I had to work darn hard to keep a sense of a higher consciousness, and to feel any "power". That is to say, it was often more my effort that gave the experience than "power" from BapDada.

It was always easy to be distracted, or to find yourself just looking at Gulzar, and then concentrating harder so not to waste this "opportunity" (what about you guys?). Most of the experience seem induced by faith, expectation and so on. If it was a conniving entity from beyond who wanted to take me over, he sure lacked "punch" in his own right. Some BKs express disappointment at their own lack of "stage" at the time, others have expressed anger at the facile "blessing" they were given. I have spoken to some non-BKs who were brought before BapDada, and they had no experience (of course, that's their part in drama we'd say).

I used to do Third Eye meditations with friends before Gyan - they were just as powerful - light, auras, sparks - and I knew even less at that time.
deccani wrote:(Re Jonestown) - I hope you are not suggesting that we should be happy that BKWSU did not organize mass suicides and made our parents shove 'Kool-Aid' down our throats!!

I have heard Avyakt Murli live, personally - (within 1976-79 seasons, around same time as the Jonestown massacre actually) where the spirit entered the bottle of Dadi Gulzar and actually said [paraphrasing], "faith in the Sat Guru should be such that if the Guru asks you to jump off a cliff you would do it without 2nd thought. Hands up those would do so if Baba asked". (A number of hands went up) - followed by "of course, Baba would not ask such a thing, but faith should be such etc etc ...".

I recommended that documentary "Jonestown: The Life and Death of Peoples Temple" because it is a great study of human nature and the religious impulse - all most of us know is the end of the story. It shows how ordinary, intelligent people get involved, experience great happiness and achieve great things, then how suddenly it all turned into a nightmare - an extremely well made documentary that has interviews with survivors and family members, lots of actual live footage, lots of history that I did not know about. Real people, each had their own life, their own story. It brought tears to my eyes. It was mentioned to reinforce the point that we are no different to others that are fooled.

There was the recent stuff with Heide Fittkau's group, the Russian Orthodox sub-sect last year that holed up in a cave expecting the end, it is going on all the time. Deccanni is right that this is more of a Western tradition (we should say Abrahamic, i.e from monotheistic traditions? And many have noted Lekhraj's Islamic influences.

Also Deccani, I was saddened to hear of the 3 suicides you mentioned. There is a thread called "Honour Roll - suicide" - have a look. The people you knew can be added there, and any story that you can add to humanise them for the reader more would be valuable.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post21 Feb 2009

terry wrote:What ex-l is saying is in his last couple of posts is - "yes, we who became BKs are more special and more intelligent than all others who joined other sects and beliefs, mainstream or otherwise, so special in fact that it took the unique power and influence of spirits to affect us, otherwise we would surely not have been so easily fooled".

No, terry, that is not what I said.

If that is what you read that I said, then the lens of your mind is faulted. Or is it a continued attempt to belittle me by falsely representing my position? I don't get, "myth is to [me] the other person's religion" at all. If it was to make any sense, it should be to say that I actually believe what the Brahma-kumaris people say their religion is. Joseph Campbell is your guru not mine. Do your due process and you would know, generations have been taught "Never trust a Campbell".

Of course, what you wrote is not new but copied, almost verbatim, from countless articles and papers on cult members and their cult experience.
celticgyan wrote:ex-l, you're a bit off the track here. Although Jesus supposedly said he was Son of Man, the majority of Christians, rightly or wrongly equate Jesus with God - as part of the Holly Trinity. Likewise in Islam, although Mohammad was not seen as God, his word is taken as directly from God.

Don't worry celtic ... I don't know what to believe either and I am not selling you another belief. Nor another disbelief. I am just attempting to lay it all out, all the possible permutations, logically and in detail. But I draw a clear distinction been that which you can actually feel and affect others, and the talk of Ivy League staff rooms. BTW, I stuck a huge long list of millenarianist cults on the forum and note of the Jones Town video.

All I meant was that if we are going to approach this 'scientifically', we should really choose a 'comparable'. I am highlighting "comparable" for those who do not know what it means 'technically'. Basically, in any given test or survey, one would have to use a comparable case/incidence/individual before drawing assumptions, otherwise it is comparing apples to oranges. You cant. Christianity and Brahma Kumaris are not of the same order; one is a class of religions, the other a single, minor but pernicious species. One willing the death of all other humanity. The ultimate cuckoo in the nest.

However, given the similarities in all these cases ... and remember the BKWSU claims that Jesus, Mohammad and Buddha were all channeling mediums like their guru was ... I would say that, logically, the first assumption to make is that we are dealing a order of largely unseen or disincarnate spiritual entities. Just as they say it is, and most religions speak of. Throughout all recorded time, the 'its' - whatever they are - would appear to have both preyed on, and perhaps nourished, humanity using an almost identical mode of operation.

Now, that is not an new idea and comes up right across the board from African tribes, to ancient Tibet, to sci-fi conspiracy theorists. The only difference today is that we have the ability to compile evidence and experiment in a way that the authors of the Malleus Maleficarum could not have dreamt of.

john morgan

ex-BK

Post21 Feb 2009

Yes, how did we fool ourselves into believing the Brahma Kumaris? All this stuff about the incarnation of God in Bharat, the only country in which God comes. It really is a lot to swallow, is not it? Perhaps Knowledge enables a merely human mind to recreate the divine incarnation of God. If such is the case I guess those who do not understand may be missing out on something.

But let's forget all about that and have a good go at whatever we can. Certainly I felt when I first went to the BK centre that there was something, an intangible something that I could not grasp. Later, despite numerous insights and blessings, some of very high energy, I still could not grasp it. I continue to make effort because it may be that one day I will be able to recreate Baba's incarnation and move him to somewhere a little more accessible than a mountain in the middle of the Rajasthan desert.

I am hopeful that one day my ego will not get in the way and will be able to go sufficiently deeply inside to get to the point where this Knowledge works. In the meantime, I am compelled to work out my own karma.

It is an aspiration of mine that I will cease to be a crow cawing incessantly about what is wrong with others and become instead a nightingale singing a divine song of love. Even being a swan for a day would give me some relief from my compulsive fault finding. The incessant beating of my own drum does get a little tiresome on occasion but I have the tom tom's of others to keep me company.

Enough of this tomfoolery, its back to the drawing board for me, I've got to start again. Perhaps this time I'll do a little better. Getting so banned that BKs worldwide are warned to avoid me may be a good start, as would the BKs telling anyone who even thinks of giving me a Murli that Baba likes Madhuban and does not want to move to the UK. As Bugs Bunny would say ... that's all folks!
PreviousNext

Return to Commonroom