BK and Mount Abu charity

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.

jann

friends or family of a BK

BK and Mount Abu charity

Post09 Mar 2012

BKs are also well-known for their charitable acts, especially on Mount Abu, where they have established themselves as teachers and healers. A modern hospital provides low-cost care for not just the BK community but the entire population of Rajasthan. (A visit to the dentist and an ex-ray for an infected tooth cost me only $10.) Several years ago Dr. Vinay Lakshmi, a charming gynaecologist, launched a program in several surrounding villages to provide natal care for mothers and good nutrition for their children. I visited one of the villages and met ‘miracle children’ who would have died or been severely crippled from malnutrition and sickness were it not for the BKs’ dedication. Dr. Lakshmi and I parted with a warm hug. Eyes twinkling behind her glasses, she murmured, "Remember, God is just one thought away."
Attachments
bkchr..jpg

Mr Green

ex-BK

Re: BK and Mount Abu charity

Post09 Mar 2012

Dr Vinay Lakshmi was shunned at first by the Dadis for helping the shudras in the villages, then as the Dadis realised that that the double foriegners liked the idea they then embraced it.

bkti-pit

Independent, free thinking BK

Post13 Mar 2012

Aims and objectives:
To promote the advancement of the Hindu religion...

Should we call it a joke or a lie?

ex-l

ex-BK

Post13 Mar 2012

Mr Green wrote:Dr Vinay Lakshmi was shunned at first by the Dadis for helping the shudras in the villages, then as the Dadis realised that that the double foriegners liked the idea they then embraced it.

We discussed Dr Vinay in the past, here: The Global Hospital Village Outreach Program.

The BKs are not "well-known for their charitable acts". Quite the opposite. Philosophically, they consider charity a bad thing, only surrender to the organization and doing evangelism for it is good. That is what they call "service", and they fool people with the word.

For me, this is a typical example of the fruit IP (Important Person) or VIP service where the BKs are turning someone into a "Microphone Soul", as they call it. Someone the BKs have seduced and is recycling their PR for them. They come to Abu on a special deal, never get told the real "Knowledge", and then go off twittering just she did.

For example, cross-reference this with what an academic who spent 3 years with the BKs wrote, e.g. 'Possessing knowledge: organizational boundaries among the Brahma Kumaris'; by Richard Musselwhite;

I doubt that Mrs. Patel ever would have spoken of the Brahma Kumaris if I had not raised the topic with her, but I quickly discovered that she had plenty to say about them, almost all of it negative ... she criticized their theology, meditative technologies, recruitment strategies, financial practices, and what she called their “unnatural” practice of celibacy within marriage.

She conceded that the Brahma Kumaris run an efficient hospital, but she also claimed that no Mount Abu residents were Brahma Kumaris. She said Mount Abu residents do not believe their God is the same God to whom the Brahma Kumaris are dedicated, and that their spiritual practices amounted to little more than "autosuggestion," which yielded “two second enlightenments” at best.

Mrs. Patel also objected to their social and financial practices. She claimed they recruit new members by telling them that they are "one of ours," instead of empowering them to look within themselves and discover their own true selves. She said the Brahma Kumaris advise their members to abandon greed but then take their adherents' money for themselves. She said they relentlessly proselytize rich people and do not relent until they convert.

Another Mount Abu resident who explained his views on the Brahma Kumaris to me in considerable detail was Mr. Sharma. Mr. Sharma claimed that “no locals are Brahma Kumaris” and said that the Brahma Kumaris hospital in town “served mostly their own people,” bringing little benefit to the town. In addition to Mr. Sharma and Mrs. Patel, these sentiments were often expressed to me by other Mount Abu residents ...

Mr. Sharma mentioned disapprovingly that entire families sometimes join the Brahma Kumaris. He said, "at first everything seems alright because they do not ask for anything. But then when someone in the family dies, the deceased wills all their property, land, and money to them."

Two other shopkeepers with stores nearby Mr. Sharma's independently expressed similar concerns about the organization's financial strategies. After observing that "not a single Mount Abu resident is a Brahma Kumaris," one of these shopkeepers added with apparently heartfelt distress that they are doing absolutely nothing for the poor. He said, "they will not even allow a poor person to sit next to them." The other shopkeeper also said that "no Brahma Kumaris live in Mount Abu," and that "no local residents go there." He said that "only foreigners from India and abroad go there." He expressed his view that the Brahma Kumaris "are only about the money." During one of my first visits with Mr. Sharma, he even went so far with his criticisms as to say, "I hate them. They are politically very powerful. They are members of the United Nations. If we don't like something, there is nothing we can do."
In this case, part of the problem arises from the Brahma Kumaris' organizational objectives and methods. Their objective is to become rulers over a world kingdom of nine hundred thousand of the most elite souls; their methods involve inserting themselves at the highest levels of the world polity and economy global economy. Without a mandate to serve local constituencies for their own sakes, it is not surprising that the Brahma Kumaris aren't directing many of their charitable efforts toward local recipients. As one of my most productive Brahma Kumaris consultants once told me, "God said that when the end comes, there will be only Brahma Kumaris living in Mount Abu." According to this consultant, Mount Abu residents won't be staying long, anyway.
In response, I was told that public disapproval stems from jealousy and a reluctance to give respect where respect is due.

jann

friends or family of a BK

Post20 Mar 2012

Lokpal's jurisdiction to include NGOs

The anti-graft Lokpal Bill that was tabled by the government in Parliament proposes to bring NGOs receiving donations above Rs 10 lakh from foreign sources a year under its ambit. There are about 42,202 NGOs receiving funds from abroad, of which at least 958 got Rs 1 crore or above last financial year.

If accepted, the Lokpal will have jurisdiction over 4.5 lakh NGOs. The standing committee on law and justice has recommended that NGOs that are either wholly or partly financed by the government, receive foreign funds above Rs 10 lakh or receive donations from the public should be accountable to the Lokpal. Most of the foreign contributions to Indian NGOs came from Germany, Australia, Sweden, the United Kingdom, Switzerland and Canada.

The Union Ministry of Home Affairs recently released name of those organisations that that received more than Rs 1 crore annually in the past five years. World Vision of India followed by Kolkata-based Missionaries of Charity and Compassion East India topped the list. Also in the list is Team Anna member Kiran Bedi’s NGO, Navjyoti India Foundation, which received Rs 1.27 crore in donations from abroad.

A majority of the NGOs that received funds from abroad last year were Christian organisations working in the rural areas of Andhra Pradesh, Orissa, Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Jharkhand, Chhattisgarh and Karnataka. According to a report by the Indian Express, of the 958, at least 515 were Christian organisations which collectively received Rs 2,003.75 crore as foreign contributions. The remaining 443 received 1,459.96 crore.

Besides Christian NGOs, organisations related to Brahmakumaris, ISKCON, Chinmay Mission and Swami Vivekananda Youth Movement also figured among the top 100 beneficaries, the report said.

The provision to include public sector firms, NGOs and trusts within the Lokpal was part of the government draft. The Lokpal Bill, which was passed by the Lok Sabha is now pending in the the Rajya Sabha and would be taken up when the house reconvenes for the Budget Session in March. The Rajya Sabha was adjourned sine die on December 29 amid uproar created by several MPs, without voting on the Bill.

The BJP top brass on Thursday met President Pratibha Patil seeking her intervention for reconvening of the Parliament session to enable voting on the Lokpal Bill in Rajya Sabha. The UPA government squarely blamed the BJP for the failure to get the Lokpal Bill passed in the Parliament.

ex-l

ex-BK

Post20 Mar 2012

It will be interesting to see how this effects the Brahma Kumaris. They have courted Pratibha Patil assiduously. It was she that was introduced to BapDada* prior to her election (* allegedly the ghost of Lekhraj Kirpalani and God himself possessing the body of one of the old BK Sister) and claimed it brought her good luck. She, herself, has been at the heart of more than one accusation of financial scandal or controversy.
The Jan Lokpal Bill, also referred to as the Citizen's Ombudsman Bill is an anti-corruption bill drawn up by prominent civil society activists seeking the appointment of a Jan Lokpal. That is, an independent corruption investigation body. This draft bill has also proposed improvements to the Lokpal and Lokayukta Bill 2011, which is currently being passed by Lok Sabha ('House of the People' or the lower house of the Parliament of India) in December 2011.

The Jan Lokpal Bill aims to effectively deter corruption, redress grievances of citizens, and protect whistle-blowers. If made into law, the bill would create an independent ombudsman body called the Lokpal ("protector of the people"). The body would be empowered to register and investigate complaints of corruption against politicians and bureaucrats without prior government approval.

The prefix Jan (meaning citizens) signifies the fact that these improvements include inputs provided by "ordinary citizens" through an activist-driven, non-governmental public consultation.

Return to Anything goes