Profit or non profit.

for ex-BKs to discuss matters related to experiences in BKWSU & after leaving.

jann

friends or family of a BK

Profit or non profit.

Post06 May 2012

BK seems to appear as a non-profit organization.

As non profit in offering free courses but the profits comes from followers. As BK spends millions on PR, where does that money come from? Where can we find records on that? And what are the rules on non-profits?

academicyogi

Re: Profit or non profit.

Post14 May 2012

According to BKWSU websites and their one of many facebook pages, they are an NGO (non-governmental organization):-
"The Brahma Kumaris is headquartered in Mt. Abu, Rajasthan, India. The Brahma Kumaris is a non-governmental organization affiliated to the Department of Public Information (DPI) in consultative status with the United Nations Economic & Social Council (ECOSOC) and UNICEF."

The following is the info provided by them on their assets for the first time with such details on this facebook page:-
"The Assets: Does not accept fees for its courses but accepts donations in cash or kind, even land or gold. The Brahma Kumaris spend more than the donations because many followers sponsor large events and programs themselves. (http://www.charity-commission.gov.uk/SH ... ryNumber=0)

BKWSU owns the property at Mt Abu. Has other land holdings at 1. Global Retreat Centre, Oxford-England, 2. Om Shanti Retreat Centre, (ORC) Delhi, and many other Large Retreat Centers at Australia, Argentina, Brazil, India, Italy, Philippines, UK, and USA .(http://www.BKWSU.org/whereweare/spiritu ... ations.htm)

Also associated with Global Hospital at Mt Abu as well as a school there. Properties also in Aruba, Canada, China, France, Germany, Greece and Spain"

They proudly announce that they accept "land" or "gold". They have also accepted lot of land, grants, technological assistance for solar system and concessions etc from various state as well as central government of India.

Echo

Post15 May 2012

According to my brother, donations were accepted at his meetings, much like any church or large religious organisation. You could ask the same of the Catholic church, or the church of England. They rely on gullible benefactors, and also get NGO grants I believe.

jann

friends or family of a BK

Post01 Jun 2012

"This is a great way for companies to build their brand in association with The Global hospital and research centre".

Friends of GHRC

Now if this hospital is BK owned, can they as non-profit sponsor themselves?

ex-l

ex-BK

Post01 Jun 2012

jann wrote:Now if this hospital is BK owned, can they as non-profit sponsor themselves?

According to the law, probably yes. It is quite legal and normal for charities to set up companies and do so.

According to Shrimat ... well, what the hell do they care about Shrimat? They have been making up and remaking the rules for a long time.

What I do notice from the list of supporters is that the majority are all BK by another name to make it look more than it is.

Shiv Mani Senior Citizens Home, for example, appears to be an old folks home for BK followers which I had not seen before. I wonder who gets to stay there?

Charity starts at home for the BKs.

Return to Commonroom