Amrit Vela and Meeting BapDada Opening Hours

for Brahma Kumaris, or those becoming BKs, to discuss matters in an open, non-judgemental manner.
Forum rules Read only. BK and PBK followers wishing to discuss "The Knowledge" from the point of view of a "believer", please use; http://www.bk-pbk.info.

bansy

Amrit Vela and Meeting BapDada Opening Hours

Post17 May 2006

1) Where in Murlis does it say the times for Amrit Vela ?

2) Very early mornings and daybreaks are good times to get up, sure it does make one feel fresh after a good nights rest, and the land is just stirring from sleep. But if it is best to experience the divine say during 2-5am, why are BapDada meetings held approx 7pm until 12pm ?

aimée

PBK

Post26 May 2006

There is an AM (11.5.73) that says: "Baba says that sleep early in the night and wake up early in the morning. Ignorant people sleep for 8 hours. Your sleep shouuld be half of theirs. You are karmayogis. Sleep at 10 at night and wake up at 2 A.M.". I must be half ignorant because I cannot manage this type of timetable! But for practical information, the hours before 12 apparently count as double. I try to go to bed at 8, often manage at 9, then I can get up early morning. About your second point, it is sure it does not make sense, maybe for practical organisation purposes, he is called at that time.
Aimée

bansy

Post26 May 2006

Thanks for the Murli point.

I've always taken Amrit Vela to be applied practically as per according to one's personal situation. e.g. some people work shifts so cannot follow the defined hours (10pm), or situations around them, which keeps changing (e.g. business travellers), would sometimes mean having only a few but not enough hours rest, but then having to get up drowsy, and thus not worth having any Yoga at all.

Hence the Amrit is only sweetest when you can actually taste it, and that means when you are fresh and alert. So if you can find that slot for oneself, then you can simply imagine it to be 2am or 4am, and have your Yoga connection without feeling pressure.

I do agree one does not need to sleep so long, and the early mornings is often the most silent of all times during the day. One should stick to the Amrit times as per Murli to be a "pukka" Brahmin.

sparkal

BK supporter

Amrit Vela

Post13 Jun 2006

1 The world is asleep in your part of the world so the vibrations are calmer and more conducive for mditation / Yoga.

2 Lustful dreams are less likely if we sleep for shorter periods.

3 The longer we are asleep , the more body conscious we become, and the longer it is since we have been soul conscious. and the longer it has been since the personality traits had their own way in terms of ruling your kingdom of your mind while you're body was recharging.

These are not laws or orders. They are optional to the individual, as all the principles are. As it is not a religion, I tend not to follow some or all of these principles when I am not practicing Raja Yoga. I am not saying that everyone should take that aproach. It is about taking responsibility for our own minds, so we must find what suits us best on a personal level.

Love :)

aimée

PBK

Post13 Jun 2006

Dear Brother Sparkal, I do agree with:
sparkal wrote:1 The world is asleep in your part of the world so the vibrations are calmer and more conducive for mditation / Yoga .

But why is:
2 Lustful dreams are less likely if we sleep for shorter periods.

And why:
3 The longer we are asleep, the more body conscious we become
?

sparkal

BK supporter

Post14 Jun 2006

I don't know. These things are self explanitory I feel.

aimée

PBK

Post14 Jun 2006

What I understand anyway is that if we sleep a lot we loose precious time and we end up more tired than before. To go back to sleep in the morning brings the most horrible dreams, and sleep is a very subjective subject, if I can express it this way. It is a refuge not to face the combat against the self, it also can be souls entering, who want to know a bit more about Advanced Knowledge, unfortunately they are not always very ...subtle.

mitra

BK

Post30 Aug 2006

Aimée wrote:I do agree with:
1 The world is asleep in your part of the world so the vibrations are calmer and more conducive for mditation / Yoga.
But why is:
2 Lustful dreams are less likely if we sleep for shorter periods?
And why:
3 The longer we are asleep, the more body conscious we become?

Lustful dreams occurs due to the presence of old Sanskars in the Soul. Only very deep seed stage meditaion can get rid of this. Not only lust all the remaining 4 vices can come up in different forms in one's dreams.

IBHS
MITRA

aimée

PBK

Post30 Aug 2006

Yes in a way, when in sleep all the rubbish from the subconscious mind is liberated. But also Baba (in Virendra Dev Dixit) says that we are naturally soul conscious when we sleep because we forget the body. Surely, it is not good to sleep too much, and intense Yoga restores better the body than sleep, if we know how to have intense Yoga. But what is also important is when we sleep. the best hours of sleep are between 8 in the evening and 2 am. Apparently the hours before midnight count as double. Something to take into consideration ...

The best to deal with the vices is with Yoga of course, but I don't see how we generate body consciousness when in sleep, and why we would have more lustful dreams when we sleep longer.

bansy

Post30 Aug 2006

I cannot remember where I got the following, must have been some scientific research on brain acitivity about sleep.

Anyway, I recall that in approximately every two hours of sleep, you lose about 20% consciousness. So for the first 2 hours (1-2), you're in deep sleep. In the next 2 hours (3-4), you're 80% subconscious probably still snoring away. Then for the next 2 hours (5-6) you're 60% subconscious or 40% conscious. Brain activity starts. You can imagine after 6 hours your brain in active gear though your eyes may still be closed. After 10 hours you toss and turn and wake up with a headache, oversleep.

So if you can get at least 2 to 4 hours of deep sleep, at whatever time of the day suitable according to your own schedule (e.g. if you are a nightwatchman), you can follow it up with decent days work plus Yoga.

The same research said that elderly people's cycle is shorter than 2 hours and young babies and kids longer than 2 hours. So you'd notice kids sleeping long whilst notice many elderly people slep a few hours though they may replenish their energy with more frequent in-between naps.

Anyway, that's my non-scientific answer, but Amrit Vela is the time when you can taste it most sweet, and when you're fresh after best sleep, as during the time when you are easy to float into dreaming mode, you immediately counteract it with your Amrit Vela. Mind you, I cannot always follow this sleep pattern, must be sanskars :oops:

mitra

BK

Post31 Aug 2006

The best to deal with the vices is with Yoga of course, but I don't see how we generate body consciousness when in sleep, and why we would have more lustful dreams when we sleep longer.

The occurrence of lustful dreams need not depend on the duration of your sleep. Even if you have slept for less than 30 minutes, dreams can occur. It all depends on the condition of one's mind before going to sleep. That is why it is adviced to do intense Yoga for at least 30 minutes, before going to bed.

IBHS :P
MITRA

howiemac

ex-BK

Post31 Aug 2006

Mitra wrote:it is adviced to do intense Yoga for at least 30 minutes, before going to bed.

I have often heard this said. My experience is that intense Yoga, for any period of time, keeps me wide awake for many hours, so it is not a good idea before going to sleep. That said, a much more relaxed and un-intensive form of Yoga works a treat - whether you see it is as nestling in Brahma Baba's lap (as recommended in Murlis), or (as in my case) merging with Shiva, and relaxing in warm peaceful bliss - this promotes deep and healthy sleep. The only problem then is waking up ... :).

bkdimok

reforming BK

Post01 Sep 2006

Om Shanti, dear Brothers and Sisters.

As for me the best time to get up is 2 am. It's perfect time to remember God. During the day there are few opportunities to stay in remembrance constantly for a long period. That's why we have Amrit Vela.

bansy

Post14 Sep 2006

Ref. No.VCD* (PBKs)
Then what should we do? It is not necessary that one wakes up at 2 A.M., 1 A.M. only. What? One must slowly practice waking up as per one’s ability.

mitra

BK

Post18 Sep 2006

BKDimOk wrote:As for me the best time to get up is 2 am. It's perfect time to remember God. During the day there are few opportunities to stay in remembrance constantly for a long period. That's why we have Amrit Vela.

Even Amrith vela Yoga is not sufficient!. It helps us to remain in remembrance for the rest of the day. By practicing this for a long period of time, it is possible to remain in remembrance every second automatically. No body knows one's last second!

IBHS
MITRA

Return to BK