Good quotes

for discussing science, relationships, religion or non-BK spirituality.

Pink Panther

Re: Good quotes

Post11 Feb 2018

“Remain faithful to the earth, my Brothers, with the power of your virtue. Let your gift-giving love and your knowledge serve the meaning of the earth. Thus I beg and beseech you. Do not let them fly away from earthly things and beat with their wings against eternal walls.

Alas, there has always been so much virtue that has flown away. Lead back to the earth the virtue that flew away, as I do—back to the body, back to life, that it may give the earth a meaning, a human meaning.”

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Pink Panther

Post15 Mar 2018

“Could God exist if nobody else did?

No. That’s why gods are very avid for worshipers.

If there is nobody to worship them, there are no gods. There are as many gods as there are people thinking about God. When Mrs. Mulligan and the Pope are thinking about God, it is not the same God.

In choosing your god, you choose your way of looking at the universe. There are plenty of Gods. Choose yours.

"The god you worship is the god you deserve.”

Excerpt From: Campbell, Joseph. “A Joseph Campbell Companion: Reflections on the Art of Living.”

- Joseph Campbell Foundation, 2011-08-01.

ex-l

ex-BKWSU

Post07 May 2018

“Beyond a given point man is not helped by more “knowing,” but only by living and doing in a partly self-forgetful way.

As Goethe put it, we must plunge into experience and then reflect on the meaning of it. All reflection and no plunging drives us mad; all plunging and no reflection, and we are brutes.”

Ernest Becker, The Denial of Death

ex-l

ex-BKWSU

Post08 May 2018

Membership in a religious organization doesn’t make one holy.

A sort of total humility, total surrender to the investigation of truth does.

- Jordan Peterson

Pink Panther

Re: Good quotes - Secret Societies

Post21 May 2018

Carl Jung on Secret Societies and the members who fail to differentiate themselves [and why some people cannot leave the BKs].
The secret society is an intermediary stage on the way to individuation. The individual is still relying on a collective organization to effect his differentiation for him; that is, he has not yet recognized that it is really the individual’s task to differentiate himself from all the others and stand on his own feet.

All collective identities, such as membership in organizations, support of “-isms,” and so on, interfere with the fulfillment of this task.

Such collective identities are crutches for the lame, shields for the timid, beds for the lazy, nurseries for the irresponsible; but they are equally shelters for the poor and weak, a home port for the shipwrecked, the bosom of a family for orphans, a land of promise for disillusioned vagrants and weary pilgrims, a herd and a safe fold for lost sheep, and a mother providing nourishment and growth.

It would therefore be wrong to regard this intermediary stage as a trap; on the contrary, for a long time to come it will represent the only possible form of existence for the individual, who nowadays seems more than ever threatened by anonymity.

Collective organization is still so essential today that many consider it, with some justification, to be the final goal; whereas to call for further steps along the road to autonomy appears like arrogance or hubris, fantasticality, or simply folly.

Like the initiate of a secret society who has broken free from the undifferentiated collectivity, the individual on his lonely path needs a secret which for various reasons he may not or cannot reveal. Such a secret reinforces him in the isolation of his individual aims.

A great many individuals cannot bear this isolation. They are the neurotics, who necessarily play hide-and-seek with others as well as with themselves, without being able to take the game really seriously.

As a rule they end by surrendering their individual goal to their craving for collective conformity a procedure which all the opinions, beliefs, and ideals of their environment encourage.

~ Carl Jung; Memories Dreams and Reflections; Page 342. (Memoir)

Pink Panther

Post27 May 2018

"To know a second language is to have a second soul."

- Charlemagne

Pink Panther

Post01 Jun 2018

C G JUNG on the subject of wholeness, the god image and mandalas, including the point form

”Wholeness ... is anticipated by the psyche in the form of spontaneous or autonomous symbols.

Wholeness is thus an objective factor that confronts the subject independently of him ( or her).

Unity and totality stand at the highest point on the scale of objective values because their symbols can no longer be distinguished from the imago Dei*.

Hence all statements about the God-image apply also to the empirical symbols of totality.

Experience shows that individual mandalas are symbols of order, and that they occur in patients principally during times of psychic disorientation or re-orientation.

As magic circles, they bind and subdue the lawless powers belonging to the world of darkness, and depict or create an order that transforms the chaos into a cosmos.

To the conscious mind the mandala appears at first as an unimpressive point or dot, and a great deal of hard and painstaking work as well as the integration of many projections are generally required before the full range of the symbol can be anything like completely understood.

If this insight were purely intellectual it could be achieved without much difficulty, for the world-wide pronouncements about the God within us and above us, about Christ and the corpus mysticum** the personal and suprapersonal atman, etc., are all formulations that can easily be mastered by the philosophic intellect.

This is the common source of the illusion that one is then in possession of the thing itself.

But actually one has acquired nothing more than its name, despite the age-old prejudice that the name magically represents the thing, and that it is sufficient to pronounce the name in order to posit the thing’s existence.

In the course of the millennia the reasoning mind has been given every opportunity to see through the futility of this conceit, though that has done nothing to prevent the intellectual mastery of a thing from being accepted at its face value.

It is precisely our experiences in psychology, which demonstrate as plainly as could be wished, that the intellectual “grasp” of a psychological fact produces no more than a concept of it, and that a concept is no more than a name, a flatus vocis***.

These intellectual counters can be bandied about easily enough. They pass lightly from hand to hand, for they have no weight or substance. They sound full but are hollow; and though purporting to designate a heavy task and obligation, they commit us to nothing.

The intellect is undeniably useful in its own field, but is a great cheat and illusionist outside of it whenever it tries to manipulate values.

~Carl Jung; Aion; Pages 31-32; Paras 59-60

* imago Dei - Latin, image of God
** corpus mysticum Latin- Literally, “mystical body”; one of the traditional epithets for the Christian Church, can be applied to any religious organisation.
*** flatus vocis - Latin, a mere name, word, or sound without a corresponding objective reality. Literally, nothing more than the breath of the voice.

ex-l

ex-BKWSU

Post02 Jun 2018

A delusion is a rigidly held belief
that is maintained even when there is
no evidence to support it.

Pink Panther

Post23 Jun 2018

I am a psychologist and empiricist, and for me the meaning of life does not lie in annulling it for the sake of an alleged “possibility of transcendental existence” which nobody knows how to envisage.

We are men and not gods. The meaning of human development is to be found in the fulfilment of this life.

It is rich enough in marvels.

- C.G. Jung ~Letters Vol. II, Page 381

GuptaRati 6666

Post24 Jun 2018

Pink, Thank you. I agree with Jung. As I read his words. I was engulfed in a vision in which I saw with my mind's eye an image of myself under going transformation, but a transformation, which is incomplete. Were Jung still a mortal, I sometimes contemplate his intellectual reactions to the works of one of his most famous students: Jean Shinoda-Bolen.

About 20 plus years ago, I studied and was helped by two of her major classics; 'The Goddess In Everywoman' and 'The God in Everyman'.

It was the latter half of the 1990s, and I was rehabilitating my soul after stepping away from BKism, while I refined my skills as a medical scientist.
Previous

Return to Anything goes